Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Default St. Thomas late arrival

Hi
We will be cruising to St. Thomas in June, but our ship does not dock until 1 p.m. What are your suggestions for things to do or not do, with such a late arrival? I am afraid that beaches will be very crowded by the time we would get to them. Also, is it too late to attempt a trip to St. John's that day?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

When we were in St Thomas a few years ago, the planned shore excursion had been cancelled. We got off the ship a took a cab, originally to Meagans Bay. Our cab driver offered us an island tour, show us Meagans Bay but suggested a private beach Cocci beach. She gave us a fantastic tour, island gossip the whole interesting culture thing and dropped us off at Cocci beach for a couple of hours. She came back, picked us up and returned us to port in plenty of time. At that time we paid her $20 each. Well worth the price. Had a wonderful time. I do hope you enjoy the island its beautiful and the snorkelling was great.
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Beginner

One more thing... what time do the shops close in St Thomas? We will be there on a Monday.
Thanks again!
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

We were just in St. Thomas last week and the shop workers told me they would remain open as long as there was a ship in port.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

we are also going in June on Carnival Legend. I suggest taxi cab to Coki Beach....forget the ferry, etc. At Coki you can rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. there is refreshment stand and taxi stand there. Ride from port is about 15 mins. Across the road from Coki is the Coral World aquarium-great for whole family. largest underground pubic area for viewing marine life up close. On website: www.coralworldvi.com you can print out $3.00 and $1.00 discount coupons for the aquarium admission (if not on pre-paid ship excursion). No need to book on ship - if you will be there at least 5 hours or so this is inexpensive and very do-able at reasonable cost. You won't be too far from port - just gauge time accordingly....What ship are you on - out of which port and what dates??? e-mail me if you can. We are in NYC.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Admiral

most cruisers go to the beach in the morning early/afternoon, it might not be too bad to get to the beach after 2pm. Stay for a couple of hours, then get back to the ship, drop off your beach stuff and go shopping if you like IF you want to snorkel then i would suggest either Sapphire or Coki Beach.
It takes a bit of doing to get over to St. John Island - figure an hour transportation time each way from ship to pier. IF you can make the time work, St. John is totally gorgeous! amazing beaches with great snorkeling.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

zookeepr26,

We will be cruising to St. Thomas in June, but our ship does not dock until 1 p.m. What are your suggestions for things to do or not do, with such a late arrival? I am afraid that beaches will be very crowded by the time we would get to them. Also, is it too late to attempt a trip to St. John's that day?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

The first thing to do is to go to the post office in the shopping area next to the pier and mail your postcards home, especially if this is the only U. S. port of call on your itinerary, so they will have a chance of reaching their recipients before you return home.

After that, you can go shopping or head to the beach or return to the pier for an excursion.

I think that it's too late to go to St. John on your own due to the ferry schedule, but I could be wrong about that. If the ship offers an excursion to St. John, it may use a private vessel rather than the public ferry. In any case, an excursion would be the way to go to St. John.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Captain

how about the st thomas sky ride to paradise point its in walking distance
if you whant more info go to stthomasskyride.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

great point Norm about the ferry schedules to St.John. I had forgotten about that.
You can find the ferry schedules at www.vinow.com
As for beaches on St. Thomas proper - Sapphire is our favorite. Its very pretty, good snorkeling. Meagans Bay is a tourist trap -IMO and no snorkeling there. Coki Beach/Coral World is a great family beach stop.
The Paradise Point Tramway is a nice stop. its about a 5-10 minute walk from the Havensight Pier. Great view of the harbor from atop. There are shops, cafes and a botanical garden up there.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Passenger

St.John would probably be out because of the transportation time and also some of the beaches are national parks and they close at 4 or 5. You could check on line for their schedules. I think that the shops in St. Thomas do stay open for the most part as long as a ship is in.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks to all who have replied here. My group has booked with Godfrey for a tour... we are hoping he will take us to the beach, the sky ride and maybe for some shopping... whatever time will allow. We leave from Port Liberty on June 16... I cannot wait!!! Woo Hoo!
Thanks again!
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

You didn't mention what time your ship is leaving? The skylift ride to the top of the hill that's right there is alot of fun. Great views & there's a restaurant at the top that has some really delicious & very thick (10 oz) burgers.

Tons of shopping right at the pier. However, if you only have a few hours, don't try to cram in a ride around the island. Ships leave on the dot & they will not wait for you if you miss the ship.

Then its your responsiblity (not the ships & no compensation because its your fault) to meet the ship at the next island.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks so much for info on Coral World. I really want to do this, but DH hates bus tours. This way, he'll want to go, too!
Marty
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Beginner

[quote="paddletoe53"]how about the st thomas sky ride to paradise point its in walking distance
if you whant more info go to stthomasskyride.com[/quote

also check www.Paradisepoint.com
it is beautiful and the Bushwackers are awesome (their Specialty drink)- walking distance easy back to the Havensight Pier - you can stay up there as long as you want- be sure to take your camera