Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. John..Anyone done more that one beach?

Hi all,

We'll be on the Elation in May with a 8am to 8pm stop in St. Thomas. Been to St. Thomas many times, so with such a long stop, I thought it would be a good chance to spend time on St. John. I was there once with a ship's tour, but it seemed very short, mostly going and coming back on the ferry. I'm going to take the Red Hook ferry and we will go on our own, it sounds like lots of people do this successfully. What I wanted to know is, has anyone that has done this trip on their own gone to more than one beach? I know that Trunk Bay is a must, but St. John has so many beautiful beachs, and since we have a lot of time, I'd really like to see more than one. I know that you probably can't walk from one to the other because of the narrow winding roads, it most likely isn't very safe. I'd be happy with any input from some of you who have done this, don't suppose there are any paths or trails between beach areas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Personally Trunk Bay is not a must do on my list. It is THE cruise ships destination beach, so its get VERY crowded depending upon how many cruise ships are ported. The snorkel trail has taken a beating over the years of use and its not what it used to be. Trunk is a bit of a tourist trap- imo. Go to www.vinow. com for ferry schedules and beach information. Hawksnest, and , Cinnamon are great beaches.
We usuall just plunk ourselves on the beach for a few hours, haven't done any beach hopping.
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Lisa, I read all your posts...you've been to a lot of islands, so I know its all good information. I may try to see more than one of the beaches, but I guess we'll have to do it by taxi. I have heard that Trunk Bay gets really crowded with all the tours so we'll have to see how that goes. Maybe check it out first, then go to one of the others. Happy sails....
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

pcboston - Thank you for that nice compliment. FYI - Trunk Bay charges and admission fee to the beach.
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

You're very welcome, Lisa. I remember you because I think you had said once that you love the southern caribbean and that is my favorite route, and I think you had been on Golden Princess and that has been my favorite cruise so far, too. I'm trying the Elation this year because of the new port at Grand Turk and also, it goes to Half Moon Cay, another new port for me. I've heard that it is a really good private island. I know I'll probably miss leaving from San Juan, but we are staying pre-cruise in South Beach and I've never seen that either, so another new experience there...........Happy sails to you
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, there was a slight charge to get into Trunk Bay, I think it was $4.00 per person and well worth it, a picture postcard beach for sure.

Message Boards Moderator