Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Default X-caret in Cozumel - okay when pregnant?

Would there be any reason not to go to X-caret when pregnant?

I know I can't swim w/ dolphins, but X-caret looks really neat - what other activities there would I not want to do etc?

(PS - I'll be 20 weeks and already have my doctor's permission to go on the cruise.)
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
Admiral

I do not see any reason why you couldn't go to Xcaret. You can just treat it as a beach day or do the eco things such as the butterfly farm. It can be a very relaxing stop.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

I loved Xcaret when we went a couple of years ago. You do know that its not on Cozumel itself, but over on the mainland in Playa del Carmen? To get there, you need to take the ferry across the channel....think it took about a half-hr. The ferry ride can get a little rough, depending on sea conditions on the day you go. I tend to get queasy, so I notice those things. After you get across, you have to walk through the little town of Playa to get to the bus. I can't remember how long the bus ride was. It was a nice park, its very hot there but of course, it is Mexico. I'm not sure if being pregnant, that you would want to try the cave float in the underground river. That was one of the reasons I wanted to go there and we did do it but the water is very cold and you have to go down steps to enter the water.....just some things to think about. Happy sails.......
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yeoman

I cruised last year when I was ~3 mos pregnant. I dont get seasick, but I did feel the motion of the ocean a lot more, especially when I got back home. Keep in mind-the tours to Xcaret are an all day thing. It will be hot, humid, and sunny. You will want to take it easy and stay out of the sun as much as possible (theres a thing called the mask of pregnancy where too much sun causes a mask like appearance on your face and doesnt fade until after youve given birth so wear lots of sunscreen). You will want to drink plenty of water, but being Mexico, you will want to drink bottled water that you bring ashore to be extra safe. That also means no ice in your drinks while ashore, and no frozen virgin drinks too. Also be wary of fruit that has already been peeled and washed, and certain fish. As far as activities, I would avoid any waterslides, things that can bump you around, and youre right about the dolphin swim (dolphins can sense your baby and could possibly harm it with their sonar, etc).

Be sure to get a copy of your records from your ob to bring along just in case. Other than knowing when to stop and take it easy, enjoy yourself as you will be very busy in a few more months! Congrats too!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Passenger

My only advice on that would be to take it at your own pace. when we toured mayan ruins while docked in cozumel, it was very warm (1st week of June), it was a lot of walking and the ruins were built inside a walled city so even hotter and no breeze at all. We were allowed to go down to the water after, but it was a steep climb down with rocky paths so again just be careful.

Rob and Lynn