Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St.Thomas-Red Hook-Taxi or Bus?

Hi all,

We have a 12 hr. stop in St. Thomas and plan to go to St. John for the day. I was just wondering what the best way to get to Red Hook to catch the ferry would be? Specifically, I'd like to know if the taxis near the ships will take you and what the cost is or if we have to walk somewhere else to get a cab. I've also heard that you can catch a bus for a lot cheaper but don't know where the bus stop would be or how much of a walk from the ships that would be. I know that a lot of people do this, so I'm hoping that someone can advise me on the best way to go. Thanks for any information..........................Happy sails
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
First Mate

You can get a lot of information from www.vinow.com. You can get a cab right off the ship. I haven't taken the local buses, but have been reading a lot about them over on cruise critic. You have to go out of the terminal area to get them, their times are not set, and they don't drop you right at the Red Hook ferry.

I had thought about taking the buses, but decided we'll take a taxi, even though it is more expensive. I don't think this is one corner I want to cut.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

There are also open air vans right there with all the cabs. We were a group of 6, so it was easier for us to jump on one of those. Just make sure you check the times of the ferry to get BACK to St. Thomas. We went to the beach all day at St. Johns and luckily got back just in time for the last ferry. It seemed to me it was around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, not as late as you would think so make sure you check it out once you get to St. John. Happy Sailing
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would say, just grab a cab at the pier to go to Red Hook Ferry. The ferry's run every hour, so you want to be able to catch one and not spend a lot of time just waiting. There will be taxi's there when you return to take you back to the pier, so thats not a problem. There is a time factor involved here, so make the most of the day there, its absolutely beautiful on St. Johns, have fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all that replied to my questions. I had gone to the vinow.com web site and have printed out the ferry schedules, though I know those can change, so I'll be sure to double check the day we are there. I had read on another site about buses, and someone had said they had a hard time getting a taxi to take them to Red Hook from the pier area, so that's why I asked. You are all right, I'd rather have something more dependable so will probably go with a taxi or open air van. I couldn't find any fares from the pier to Red Hook, though, so if anyone can give me an idea about what is standard, I'd be grateful. I'm not cheap but don't want to get ripped off either! I found a schedule of the usual taxi fares over on St. John to the various beachs so have that printed up, too. Research and planning is half the fun, isn't it? Happy sails.
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Admiral

the taxis are lined up all along the pier when you get off the ship, there are people to guide you into the correct taxi. The taxis are minivans for the most part. The cost was $8.00 per person one-way from Havensight Pier to Red Hook Harbor. We took the bus on the way back because we had plenty of time to kill. You have to go outside the pier gates and hope that you catch one as they go by,otherwise you could be waiting for quite awhile- it took us about twice a long to get back using the bus.
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks once more Lisa....you came through again. $8pp is fine for one way and well worth it. I'd rather not waste time searching for a bus either, so that will work out great. I've always done shore tours in St. Thomas, so this is something different for me. I'm excited to go and spend the day in St. John this time. Happy sails.............
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

If you're docking at either Crown Bay or Havensight, a taxi to Red Hook will probably cost you $10/pp each way.

There are no public transportation options that come directly to either dock. From Havensight, you have to walk approx 1/4 mile to get to the unmarked waiting area for a $2/pp each way "dollar safari" ride.

You can also take the ferry to St John from town ($4/pp taxi), but pay close attention to the schedule, and the fare is higher, so take all that into consideration. You can walk to town - it's about 1 1/2 miles.

The ferry schedules are available on-line. Try Googling "St Thomas St John ferry" or something like that.