Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Beach in St. Thomas

Could use some help.

Looking for a nice beach to visit in the am while stopped in St. Thomas.

Would like that offers chairs/umbrellas as well as fun acitvities for the kids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Banned
Familiar Face

Hi there..

.Morningstar Beach is really nice, can rent chairs, use their beach bar etc
...it owned by marriot
it is closer to the port, grab a cab easy, I like simple shore excursions cause I hate sitting on hot buses or jitneys, and dont like to waste much time traveling to and from the beach

hth

Cheri
Imagination...5/8-5/13...Grand Cayman/Ochos Rios
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Sapphire Beach would be an excellent choice.
Coki Beach/Coral World would also be a good choice
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Megans bay also very nice. We usually hire a cab/van right at the dock. They will take you to many beaches and give you a private tour very reasonable.They will usually wait for you and you can just spend a hour or so and they will take you to the next beach.
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Passenger

We spent the day at Coki Beach and had a blast...the nice people, good beer, and most families spent the morning at Coral World then hit the beach...it was beautiful! $8 one way by taxi.....
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been to three beaches in St. Thomas and IMHO Sapphire Beach was the best, followed by Megan's and then MorningStar.
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Passenger

I found Megans Bay really overrated, it was pretty enough, but too crowded to really enjoy. Morningstar is nice. Coki was my favourite, nice quiet beach with really fantastic snorkelling, take a couple of bananas into the water and hand feed the fishies.

Rachel.
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Passenger

I found Megans Bay really overrated, it was pretty enough, but too crowded to really enjoy. Morningstar is nice. Coki was my favourite, nice quiet beach with really fantastic snorkelling, take a couple of bananas into the water and hand feed the fishies.

Rachel.
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Passenger

I hear that Coki Beach is really nice, good for Snorkleing and things like that. Looked at a couple websites and saw some postings from other people on this website about the beach. Enjoy your cruise, my wife and I are taking our first cruise in July and are also stopping in St. Thomas, think we are going to do an excursion to Snorkel, thought about just going to the beach, but think we will do the excursion, get back and she will have enough time to do some shopping before we set sail for our next destination.

Caribbean Islands Travel Guide
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Coki beach was wonderful! They have stands for beverages and food - family run - and live music, restrooms, and beach chairs you can rent for about $5...you may be able to talk them down but I never bother....you can rent all snorkling equip. on the beach. We went there on advise from a local...The water is beautiful! 8)
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info, we are kinda tossed between just doing the Coki Beach thing or going on an excursion to snorkel at 2 different places. Of Course Coki Beach would be cheaper and probably more relaxing ( in a way ), but we really like to snorkel. We went to Hawaii last October and did some snorkeling and my wife loved it so I want to make sure she has a good time again.

Thanks,

Goose

Caribbean Islands Travel Guide
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Google St Thomas beaches and check out some of the beach sites which give good descriptions of all beaches and rate ones with snorkling....Have fun!
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Coki Beach is beautiful; chair & umbrella rentals, snack bars, taxi stand, etc. Across the road is Coral World - great for the kids! You can do these on your own in St. Thomas. to print discount coupons for Coral World go to: www.coralworldvi.com

$3.00 per adult and $1.00 per child discount admission. You can leave and re-enter the park all day with wrist band. Coki beach is less crowded than Megans and most of the others in the area.

Have fun whatever you do. My family will be there early June with Carnival legend out of NYC>

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Beginner

St. Thomas was most enjoyful for us. With shopping right off the boat.
Easy offered tours all around. We book a tour to Megan's Bay and Paridise Point. Recieve a fee drink after the tour. Expect the small drink! Magen's Bay is over rated. This beach has a nice view with very little coral and a food stand with a bar. Rating a 8 for Megan's Bay but a 9 for St. Thomas! Next time St. John, Trunk Bay.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob
Default coki beach

The last two times i was in st thomas i went to coki beach, its great for snorkeling, its on the small side but the water is great , very clear lots of fish and the guys that rent equipment are freindly and afordable. and they have small lockers for rent. They also have a tiny resurant that also sells liqiour. I hope you have an awesome and safe trip no matter what beach you end up at

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Are there taxis readily available at Coki Beach for the return trip to the pier?
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
First Mate

this is Live at Magens Bay, St. Thomas

http://www.gotostthomas.com/live/magens.html

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kimxotennis

of course all of these beaches are beautiful, there is a few things to watch for though:
Magens Bay and Sapphire Beach are both rated within the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world--awesome, and YES i agree they are gorgeous, but MANY people will be flocking to these beaches for that reason, if you don't like crowds, try a less well-known beach, I doubt it wont be "pretty"
For the same reasons everyone flocks to them, you may have a wait because your cab driver will wait until he can squeeze as many people as possible onto their bus, so it will be smooshed and crowded, because he gets more tips that way.
other than that--enjoy!
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Passenger

For small children, I think Coki with Coral World would be best. There are a lot of nice beaches, but Coki also has Coral World.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Passenger

There are so many positive reviews on Coki Beach, how about Trunk Bay? I know Trunk Bay will cost more money (from the pier to the bay).
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Admiral

since you mentioned snorkeling, i would suggest any of the beaches over on St. John Island. They are breathtakingly beautiful. Go to www.vinow.com for the ferry schedules and information on the many beaches to choose from. Trunk Bay is beautiful, but it gets very crowded as this is where all the cruise ships excursions go when they visit St. John Island.
Do St. John on your own, we have found the ships excursions to Trunk Bay to be a waste of time, you only get about an hour of beach time if you book a basic 3 hour excursion
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Can you tell me how to get to the Coki Beach from the cruiseship pier? The Trunk Bay excursion from the cruise is 4-hr long for $59pp

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Hi swhli,

We walked off the ship and caught a cab that was right there. We negotiated for $10 per person. It was a nice ride. We got there before the crowds and it was lovely. We went into Coral World which is right there and really liked that we could shower up and change after swimming with all the colorful fishes close to the shore line.

Carolin

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Hi Carolin,

So one cab is all that we need to go to Coki Beach from the pier? How do you compare Coral World with other places? Someone told me that if we had been to Sea World in California, then it is not really worthwhile to go to Coral World.

Thanks
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Coral World is a small place. It's not like Sea World. They do have animals there that you can see close up. There is an under water viewing area that you can watch the diver feed the fish which I thought was great. You can also snuba there and feed the fish. There is a tank where you can touch various creatures (star fish, etc...) It was nice and relaxing.

Once you pay to get in, its an all day pass. So when you go to the beach, you can put your stuff in a locker in Coral World (free), and not worry about your stuff while your playing in the water. They also have showers there for the guests. There is also a snack bar in case you want something for lunch.

I really enjoyed my morning there. After getting cleaned up, we caught a cab back to the pier area in time to go up to Paradise Point and do some browsing in the shops.

Carolin

Old June 8th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Hi Carolin,

Thanks for the info. If I don't go to the Coral World, is there any place where I can take a quick shower to wash off the salt water and get changed? How long does it take from the pier to Coki Beach by cab?

Thanks again
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

It was a 15 or so minute cab ride from the pier to the beach.

I don't remember seeing other shower areas but that doesn't mean that they aren't there. I just didn't look for them.

I checked at a site and it said there were restrooms and change rooms at the dive shop so you'll want to look for that.