Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Default Western or Eastern Caribbean??

We are going on a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon this august. We are trying to decide if we should go on an eastern or western caribbean cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Personnaly I wouldn't do either on Carnival (but that's just me since I had a horrible experience on Carnival). Other's will say Carnival is fine.

As for destination I prefer the Eastern or Southern (except for Grand Cayman which to me is similar to the Eastern).

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Admiral

I've been on both itineraries, more Western than Eastern. However, I would say that the Eastern is better. I really like St. Thomas. This will be our first Carnival cruise in November and we will be going on a Southern Caribbean, that will also hit Barbados and Martinique. We've been Princess Cruisers up until now, with one Holland American thrown in when we went with some of my co-workers. To me, the journey is the cruise rather than the destination, and is what you make of it, regardless of the ship. Have a great time!!

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Admiral

it all depends upon what you want to do.
If you want beautiful white sandy beaches with turquoise water, good snorkeling and really good shopping then pick an Eastern Route.
If you want something a bit more active with swimming/snorkeling with the StingRays, climbing water falls, river tubing, zip line in the rainforest, awesome snorkeling, beaches, Mayan ruins then pick a Western Route.
FYI - august is the Peak of hurricane season, you need aware and be a bit flexible in your schedule - departures could be affected, ports could be changed. Make sure you take out trip insurance- trip cancellation/trip interuption, baggage and medical evacuation are the coverages you will need.
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Western or Eastern Caribbean??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozumie
We are going on a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon this august. We are trying to decide if we should go on an eastern or western caribbean cruise?
It all depends on what you like. If you are into the History channel then the Mayan sites such as Tulum make the Western Caribbean worthwhile. To me at least, Jamaca wasn't anything special, except to say I'd been there. Grand Cayman is nice place( water, 7 mile beach, clean, pretty) but very touristy. Cozomel is pretty beaches and tourist shops and little else that appeals to me.
All things considered, I liked the Eastern Caribbean much better. St John USVI is my favorite island of the Caribbean( so far). It's mostly a US National Park which means it's not a tourist trap. Beautiful beaches( Trunk Bay) and few if any T-shirt shops. San Juan has A LOT of history to explore plus rainforest. Naasau has its historical side. On some Eastern sailings they stop off at a private Island in which I enjoyed.
I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Legend to Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize, which are "real" world places for better or worse.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Eastern is my pick. Loved St. Thomas. Godfrey tour is great and only $20 each.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Admiral

nozumie,

The Caribbean in August??? Eeewww, yuck! If a hurricane does not get you, the humidity -- very oppressive -- most assuredly will. The time of year to go to the Caribbean is from November to April, when it's much less humid and there's little danger of hurricanes.

If I were booking a honeymoon cruise in August, it would be either to northern or western Europe (the Mediterranean is also oppressively hot at that time of year, so most businesses actually close for the entire month) or Alaska. If you are seriously concerned about price, consder an "Inside Passage" cruise to Alaska from Seattle.

Norm.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the cautions about hurricane season. Great deals with some lines at that time, but there is a reason.

You might consider the Mexican Riviera choices out of California as an alternative.

We prefer eastern. Love the British and U.S. Virgin Islands.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Nozumie,
I guess some people don't like the heat!! If you and new spouse want to go on a cruise (whatever line you choose!!!!) in August then go. Yes, maybe it is hurricane season, but bad weather can happen anytime of year. Your itinerary may change if your cruiseship needs to get away from bad weather. Me and husband went to Jamaica in September for our honeymoon and it was beautiful. I personally like warm weather. Whatever you choose have a great time and congrats on your upcoming marriage.
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

I personally love the heat and agree that bad weather can happen anytime but hurricane season involves greater potential for more than just "bad weather." Katrina occurred August 23-30.
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Passenger

We went on our first two cruises in September because of our wedding anniversary being on the 13th. But we missed out on Half Moon Cay the first time, and the second we hit some pretty bad weather and had to cut our stay at Grand Cayman in half to outrun it. Man did I get seasick that night! The bed seemed to be rolling side to side, along with my stomach! We did Eastern first, then Western second. I have to agree with most that Eastern was nicer. I would hate for you to miss out on Half Moon Cay. That is such a nice way to spend a day! If you sail Western Caribbean out of Tampa, you don't get to go to Half Moon Cay.
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Love the east very lush and green, beautiful scenery.
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ran43

For sightseeing I would say the Western, but for shopping go with the Eastern.
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nozumie!
I've done W. Carib a few times; OK if you like active sightseeing, etc. but for romance, relaxation, shopping, best beaches on earth, I'd recommend the Eastern Carib. Especially US and British Virgin Islands. I've booked my entire family on Carnival legend this June out of NYC-9 days. Where are you leaving from and how long are you going? if you have a cruise in mind that will stop at Half Moon Cay....TAKE IT!!!! It is the most beautiful private island I have ever seen! Any questions, send me e-mail and i will offer websites for your research depending on what you prefer. And don't worry about August! Storm season starts June 1st until late november. Life is a gamble......don't stress over this. The cruise lines will alter plans to ensure guests safety. Study long.....study wrong!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Banned
Familiar Face

Wheee...congrats on your marriage...your honeymoon will be super either way....any cruise is good haha

I live in south florida, and trust me i would have rather spent 2 weeks on any ship anywhere than here with NO electric for 2 solid weeks thanks to wilma

the ships "outrun" the hurricaines...just be sure to get in town a day ahead and check out trip insurance....be prepared that they may change the ports if there is a storm...but they will keep you safe, better than on land <grin>

as to "which"??? JMO>>> Eastern is probably more "romantic">>>

Eastern can be a bit easier for a first time cruise as usually you do not have to tender into any islands *unless it is a private island like Princess Cays or Half moon cay on Holland

Seems like many ports on Western are tender ports

Western is good for archeology buffs...ie, mayan ruins...
it is also good for the more "extreme' sports...if you want to do zip lines and cave tubing and stuff like that

This is JMO>>> but in the eastern ports I never took ship tours...in Jamaica i am tho, the sundancer yacht to dunns river falls....for safety/to avoid hassles....so that is something to consider

For a first timer/hassle free cruise with out many tenders, without as many "precautions" I would go eastern IF the ships were comparable

Hey...go east for Honeymoon...and go west on 1st Anniversary !!

Cheri
Imagination May 8-13 !!!