Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default cost of taxis in grand cayman

does anyone know what the current rate for a taxi is on grand cayman? i hear the flat rates are set by the government but for the life of me i can't find a rate sheet anywhere (ie how much per mile). has anyone been lately who could tell me what to expect to pay for a taxi there?

thanks so much!
-lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Where to you want to go in Grand Cayman using a taxi?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

carnival's general web site listed a shore excursion that had stops at the turtle farm, hell, and the rum factory. however, when we went to book it online, it was't available for our particular sailing so i figured we could do it on our own.

i know some cabs can be hired for the day for personalized tours and we've talked about doing that. i'm just trying to make sure i don't end up spending a fortune to go all over the island.

Old March 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Passenger

We were there in March/06 and paid $20 per person for the tour you talked about....we were shopping down from the port and all these people with signs are there to take you places.....it was about 1.5 hours....not much time at each place but enough....they dropped us at a nice bar and from there we walked back to the port...I would love to go back!! Have fun!!
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jenischmeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175
carnival's general web site listed a shore excursion that had stops at the turtle farm, hell, and the rum factory. however, when we went to book it online, it was't available for our particular sailing so i figured we could do it on our own.

i know some cabs can be hired for the day for personalized tours and we've talked about doing that. i'm just trying to make sure i don't end up spending a fortune to go all over the island.
Hey! I noticed that too! We're on the Valor, sailing 6/11/06. That's the exact tour we wanted, also. There are two listed as available excursions, but when you try to book them, they aren't there. I've been told by a fellow cruiser that it's possible they're already sold out, but I find that doubtful.

We're planning on just finding a cab or whatever and do it anyway. (which sound like what you're planning, too.)

I've read on other boards (different site), that there are many drivers, cab and tour operators when you dock. I figured we'd grab a couple, look 'em over good and see who can give us a good tour, reasonable price. By what I've read (and saw above in this thread), the four of us should be able to do it for no more than $100.

There is still a possibility too, that this excursion could get booked on the ship, after we've sailed. (Cancelations occurred - or they finally decided to "open it up".)

When are you sailing?
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

we leave on 4/30. i'm not sure how the excursion could already be booked since i've been looking at it since they first opened up the excursions online months ago. i plan on making a beeline to the excursion desk anyway, so i will put it on my list of things to talk to them about.

if not, i'm all about going it on our own. screw your courage to the sticking place!!!!

and if worse comes to worse, a bad day on vacation is still better than a good day at work!

happy sailing!
-lisa

Old March 29th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Greetings Lisa...
It's Gonna be a great Ad-Venture....
I may be able to "steer" you and loveable Ed in the correct direction after Breakfast

To the Cruise
Sir Duke
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

i'd be forever in your debt, m'lord.....

Old March 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Greetings Valor Cruisemate
Happy to assist any way I can....

To the Cruise
Sir Duke
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:09 AM
Banned
Familiar Face

Hi..

I am thinking to just get one of the $20 "tours" at the island when I get there....carnival had 2 different ones, the one they have now seems to be turtles included, and I do NOT want to go in the turle farm, I would only want to be outside, or go to the rum cake shop or something...$35 seems a lot for that tour

I am also thinking to just get down to 7 mile beach..or maybe go on the Hell, Turtle farm tour and just get off at 7 mile beach on the way back?

any ideas? any spot on beach? I have heard of seagrape, comfort suites and ? thanks

Cheri
Imagination 5/8-5/13 Grand Cayman/Ochos Rios
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175
we leave on 4/30. i'm not sure how the excursion could already be booked since i've been looking at it since they first opened up the excursions online months ago. i plan on making a beeline to the excursion desk anyway, so i will put it on my list of things to talk to them about.

if not, i'm all about going it on our own. screw your courage to the sticking place!!!!

and if worse comes to worse, a bad day on vacation is still better than a good day at work!

happy sailing!
-lisa
Yeah! That's what I say, too!

I you wouldn't mind, when you return, would you post how you were able to do this?

I really think it's safe to assume we can just grab some tour when we get off the ship there.
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Just back from my 6/11 sailing. We did not have a ship tour booked for Grand Cayman.

After we got off the tender we chose a local tour. It was $20 per person and we toured the Governor's Residence, Hell, Tortuga Rum Factory, and the Turtle Farm.

Note: If you are wanting rum and rum cakes, buy it from the factory. It is a LOT cheaper there. But, if you buy rum, you cannot take it with you. It's delivered to the ship (meaning you don't have to carry it around). The ship will 'hold' it until the day before you disembark. Rum cakes can be taken with you.

It was only a couple of hours and we had plenty of time to shop. (Even made it back on board in time for lunch!)