Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Familiar Face

Default Coral World in St. Thomas

Has anyone done the Animal Encounters at Coral World in St. Thomas? Seth
Sclevin@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Yes I did about a month ago. I thought it was great. It is right next to Coki beach which is lovely and you can snorkel there too. We took a cab there from the ship. I thought it was great. Your entrance fee into Coral World is for all day. You get an armband that lets you come in and out as much as you want. So you can shower after going to the beach before heading back to the docks.

You might also want to take the tram up to Paradise Point. Its right across from the shops you can't miss it.

http://paradisepointtramway.com/index.html

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Default Coral World

Can you tell me how much it is to take a taxi from the pier to coral world? and how long of a ride to get there?
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Admiral

It cost us $30 for the cab. We split the ride with another couple who were catching Red Hook over to St. John. It cost the same for us to get back. Its all a bit of negotiation. The ride back was much shorter, about 20 minutes since we didn't have to go to the Red Hook doc. Going to was about 30 minutes but I didn't mind because we drove along the coast and saw so much. It was worth it. We got to Coral world before it opened so we walked the beach a bit. We were back by the Pier before lunch. We had the cab drop us off at the tram which was right across the street from the shops and the pier.

Old April 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Seth!
If you are going to Coral World on your own (not with pre-paid ship's excursion) you can download discount coupons from their website link below:

www.coralworldvi.com

My family is going in June on Carnival Legend. We have $3.00/per person and $1.00/child coupons off admission price. You can check it out for yourself; I just received an e-mail confirmation of our discounts from Allegra Kean, Dir. of Marketing @ Coral World Ocean Park in St. Thomas. Print out the coupons and present them at the entrance. Across from the park is Coki Beach, which is beautiful and less crowded than most on the island. There are refreshment stands, umbrella and chair rentals, etc. and a taxi stand at all times.

Hope I have helped in your search. have a memorable time!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien

I am also going to do coral world on my own. I am very surprised at the cost of the cab fee because I was told it was about $9 pp each way.

If you plan on doing any animal encounters make sure you book them well in advance. I was able to make a reservation already for Oct 3rd through their website. I spoke to Trish Lyons through email and she said the animal encounters books fast, to let her know if I wanted to do that also.

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Admiral

The $30 was for round trip. I'm sure we could have talked it down for more but we were just eager to go. hahaha

Old June 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

What exactly is the "Animal Encounter" all i have heard about is the coral exhibit.
In reagrds to cab fare, if you have the time, take the local bus. They are open-air jitneys- they almost look like they just added seats and a canopy onto the back of a pick-up truck. Its really a cheap way to get around town. You must ask the driver before you board if they go to Coral World, you might be dropped off a block or two away from Coral World but that's no big deal. At the pier you must go outside the gated area and onto the main street, the bus stops are marked.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Passenger

The animal encounters look very cool, although I've never done one. All of them are on coral worlds website. I saw a shark encounter where you are in a cage and there is a shark outside of it. Check out their website.

NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi people!
We returned from our cruise 2 days ago. Regarding Coral World: We rented a 7 passenger mini-van from Avis (right outside the Havensight Mall at the cruise dock). We pre-reserved the car, picked it up @ 8 AM and the ride is exactly 6 miles from the dock to Coral & Coki beach; it took approx. 15-10 mins. to drive there and almost 45 mins. to return because their "rush hour" starts around 3 PM or sooner. The roads are mountainous & winding with very little traffic control so the speed limit after 2 PM is around 10 mph! Driving on the left side of the road isn't too bad except when you need to make a right turn across 4 lanes of continuous traffic! The taxi fare is around $8 or 9. per person each way - we had 7 people in our crowd; it would have cost approx. $56-63 each way and the air conditioned van was $86. to rent for the entire day! Also, there are few air conditioned buses & taxi cabs and there is no taxi stand at Coral World - you need to have someone call a service to get the cab there for the return trip. In addition - if you have auto insurance here in the U.S. your coverage for rental vehicles extends to P.R. and all the US Virgin Islands (they are US territories) so you do not have to take their optional rental insurance which can cost up to another $25-$40 because insurance is optional on those islands, not mandatory. Check with your insurance agent if you plan to rent a car/van. Regular cars (sedan/coupe) only costs around $50-60 to rent for the day, less expensive than the van and if you have more than 2 or 3 people its less than taxi fare.

My daughters both snorkeled in the shark pool at Coral! We reserved in advance as the experience is limited to the amount of people who can enter the pool on their schedules. You can do it on line on the Coral World website and e-mail your questions to the marketing manager - Allegra Khan. You must secure your reserved time on a credit card but you can pay for it in cash when you arrive at the park - they do not bill your card unless you are a no-show because they have such limited space to fill your slot at the last minute. The sharks are 5-6' long; lemon shark, nurse shark and black tip reefs - they are fed just prior to the event and you will get a briefing on what and how with one of their marine staff. I suggest renting snorkel gear on the beach for practice first. When we were there on June 9th the skies were clear, the water was delightfully refreshing and clear and the temp was 103 degrees, but 20 degrees cooler under the palm trees.

There are refreshment stands and bathrooms on the beach and a few souvenier shops as well; you can rent lounge chairs for $5./day and umbrellas ($5. with a $10. deposit I think) also scuba, snorkel, and rubber floats to relax on the water, and on the other side of the beach there is jet ski rental as well. If you are into hair-braiding, there are always plenty of local women who do a great job - fast & cheap - 4 of us had it done and we look "marvelous, dahling"! Just remember, if you braid your hair you must apply sunscreen to your scalp between the braids; I keep mine in more than a month usually and I have it done every time I go to the islands!

When you return to the dock all the duty free shops are between the main road and the ship so you don't have to travel to shop elsewhere - and, don't be afraid to bargain prices - it's almost expected!

Enjoy!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the great advice! Thats really good to know about the traffic. I will make sure to plan extra extra time to get back to the ship.

Jenn

NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Passenger

I was just looking at shore excursions to St. Thomas, aftering reading this message board it is definately Coral World ! We have been once to St Thomas and loved Magan's Bay but we wanted to try something different.
Thank You all for your great info!
Mary Runyon
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

We did Coral World on our cruise last year. It was...ok. It's basically a small aquarium-type place. It's not very big. You can see turtles, touch star fish, etc. It's basically a good place to take children.

Although as the above posters mention, there is a beach next door that is nice & you have some really good views of St. John.
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Passenger

When I looked at their web-site I found.. Parasailing, Sea Trek,Snorkeling, Sailing and animal encounters. The prices were very good too.
It looks like there was a lot to do.

Mary Runyon