Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Historical tour of Georgetown, Grand Cayman

We will be cruising to Georgetown, Grand Cayman in September and would love to employ a "tour guide" for a couple of hours to see the historical highlights. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to go about this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Cayman doesn't have too much history, but if you want a great tour of the island with a great guide, we loved the Island Jeep Safari tour it was excellent!!
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Admiral

wilsonbu,

We will be cruising to Georgetown, Grand Cayman in September and would love to employ a "tour guide" for a couple of hours to see the historical highlights. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to go about this? Thanks!

Most taxi drivers double as tour guides of their islands throughout the Caribbean, so you can just hire a cab for a couple hours and ask the driver to give you a tour.

That said, I highly recomemd the "Sea and See" excursion in Grand Cayman. This excursion has two parts -- a harbor cruise on a "semisubmersible" craft in which you sit below the waterline and look out through windows in the hull to see the reefs, a couple wrecks, and all kinds of marine life and a land tour that includes Hell (a unique and very interesting natural rock formation), the world's only sea turtle farm (which raises sea turtles for food and also supports repopulaton of endangered species), and downtown George Town, with a photo stop at Seven Mile Beach. This tour probably won't cost any more than the private guide,.but you'll see a lot more of the island's highlights!

BTW, George Town is unquestonably the best port of call in the Caribbean for shopping. The main ehopping district, where the locals shop, is directly across the street from the tender pier, so it's readily accessible. The merchandise in the local shops is generally of much better quality than what you find in other ports and it's fairly priced. While you are there, be sure to stop by the rum cake stand for free samples. Their coconut rum cake is my favorite!

Norm.
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Passenger

Personally I think the Trip to hell is a waste of time. I would not make a special trip just to see this place.

However after saying that, the island tour and Stirngray city excursion we took included Hell, Rum cake factory(Small bakery), turtle farm and then back to the pier to go to stringray city.

I agree with the shopping close to the pier. The shop owners were very polite and laid back. The prices were fair in my opinion.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

arrowhead55,

Personally I think the Trip to hell is a waste of time. I would not make a special trip just to see this place.

You can't avoid it because all of the tours of island highlights stop there in passing.

The rock formation is unique (it appears to be volcanic, but it's actually limestone honed to razor sharpness and blackened by algae), though. I found it to be interesting, and I'm far from a geologist. Of course, your milage may vary.

However after saying that, the island tour and Stirngray city excursion we took included Hell, Rum cake factory(Small bakery), turtle farm and then back to the pier to go to stringray city.

I have heard nothing but enthusiastic comments from those who have gone to Stingray City, but I hesitate to recommend it to people who don't express an interest in that sort of activity. Instinctively, my gut tells me that swimming with a flock of slippery sea creatures probably is not for everybody and that there's probably a very strong element of self-selection (people who shudder at the thought of rubbing up against a flock of slippery sea creatures simply don't go there) behind the unanimity of the raves.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to canadiandrummerchick

Cayman Islands don't really have that much history. But then again, I didn't take a tour, my cousin lives there, so she showed us around!
Carnival Valor - January 8th, 2006
Carnival Triumph - January 1st, 2005
~~~~~~~~~
www.myspace.com/laurandhearts