Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Default St. John from St. Thomas question??

Anyone ever take the ferry over to St. John from St. Thomas? What were your experiences? We were too late to book that excursion through our cruise line and were thinking of going there on our own. We want to see Trunk Bay and snorkel there. Maybe go on a hike in the Virgin Islands National Park. I know on the ferry it takes 45 minutes and I'm unsure of the cost. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:15 AM
Admiral

We have taken the ferry to St. John, but it was a shore excursion with the ship. It is well worth doing. Once you get onboard, you may be able to book with them due to cancellations.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:38 AM
Admiral

here is all the info you may need: www.vinow.com
To get to St. John Island - you need to grab a taxi at the pier to Red Hook Harbor (average taxi price $8.00 per person)- takes about 30 minutes.
Once at Red Hook harbor purchase a round-trip ferry ticket, the ferries leave every hour on the hour - takes about 30-40 minutes to get to Cruz Bay- once there just grab a cab to the beach. Do it on your own so that your time is your own. Just plan enough time.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you go to st john trunk bay is a must
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

rcprncss,

We were too late to book that excursion through our cruise line and were thinking of going there on our own.

You might be able to book the excursion onboard if you were too late to book it in advance. The cruise lines generally try to add more groups (buses or whatever) when excursions sell out, but may not receive confirmation of the additional capacity in time for advance booking.

Norm.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone! I took notes!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
www.vinow.com
To get to St. John Island - you need to grab a taxi at the pier to Red Hook Harbor (average taxi price $8.00 per person
You can also take the Ferry from Charlotte Amalie directly to St John. This is the most convenient, but check the times at vinow to see which suites you best.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Our family has booked the shore excursion from St. Thomas to St. John's Trunk Bay but only thru the cruise line, would never book thru an outside vendor, if there is a problem getting back, the ship will not wait for you. Snorkeling at Trunk Bay was a wonderful experience but not long enough.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Passenger

We took the ferry ourselves, and with cab fares and ferry tickets it was about $75 for both of us. Definitely worth it! St. John is beautiful! We went to Cinnamin Bay and it was not very crowded like some report that Trunk Bay is.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Passenger

St. John was fantastic! Well worth the short trip. We went on our own and took a taxi to Red Hook. I can't remember how much the taxi was it was a mini van and the more people, the rate went down. I want to say it was about 6-8 dollars one way. At Red Hook the boats leave about every hour. It took about 35-45 minutes on the boat and it was 10$ one way. We took a taxi to Trunk Bay. It was my favorite spot on the trip. It is a US national park so it is pristine and very uncommercial. I would go back to st john in a minute. It made me think of a carribbean Martha's Vineyard before Martha's Vineyard got really overgrown.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
here is all the info you may need: www.vinow.com
To get to St. John Island - you need to grab a taxi at the pier to Red Hook Harbor (average taxi price $8.00 per person)- takes about 30 minutes.
Once at Red Hook harbor purchase a round-trip ferry ticket, the ferries leave every hour on the hour - takes about 30-40 minutes to get to Cruz Bay- once there just grab a cab to the beach. Do it on your own so that your time is your own. Just plan enough time.
I am going to disagree a little. The time that it took us to get to Red Hook was less than 1/2 hour, and the ferry ride over was quicker also.

IMHO it is so much nicer to do this on your own. You can leave and catch an early ferry over and have quite a few hours on the beach, unlike the cruise's excursion which gives you about 1 1/2 hours at the beach.

Have a great cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100