Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Default tendering in belize??

i will be on the carnival legend and am considering doing a tour with the ship because of how long it takes too tender to the port and then meet up with a tour company.

i have never tendered so i am anxious to know how it really is at this port. what i find out will most likely determine what tour i take and with whom.

thanks alot for any info on the '' tendering experiences '' there.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

We tendered into Belize City ...the ships cannot dock there because of the reefs but they do have several of the local boats that do the transfers it takes about 20 minute to shore . It was pretty organized.

There are lots of tour guys on the docks with a variety of tours for good rates or if you enjoy the haggling process go outside the gates (behind the shops) and you can get a tour for whatever price you can haggle.
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Check into doing a ship excursion, the last one we did in Belize, the tour boat came directly to the ship and we went from there. We didn't have to take the long tender into town and leave and return from there, saved a lot of time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM
First Mate

Antron, relax the tendering process is very smooth.
I book with Nacho and Cynthia. They are man and wife, natives of Belize and they know everything about their country. You can set up the tour to do whatever you want.
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM
First Mate

thanks for the honest opinions guys. i am still torn as too take the chance of missing the ship when we take off. i still have alot of time to decide what i want to do . i am still deciding what ruins site i want to go too. i feel if you dont see the ruins why go to belize. i dont snorkel and i have done tubing so many times it would not be a thrill for me. seeing all the animals, nature and the sites are my interest there. when i finally decide i will see who i want to use for the tour
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Tendering handled professionally. The ride is about 20 minutes. Ships excursions will leave first so it could be an hour or more before others can get off.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:39 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by browezilla
Tendering handled professionally. The ride is about 20 minutes. Ships excursions will leave first so it could be an hour or more before others can get off.
the legend has a great tour that i am very interested in so i am going to go ahead and book with the ship. i normally go with independent tour co's but for this port i am going to stick with the ship. thanks for the help.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Default Don't Go to Belize

Our advice is to stay on the ship in Belize and do not tender in! People are rude and can be dangerous - - they will not take no for an answer and are very desperate. Watch out for the excursions in Belize - - very dangerous.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been to two different ruins in Belize -- Altun Ha and Lamanai. I would recommend booking through the ship here, as well as anyother location where tendering is required.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
First Mate

thanks for the advice. i have decided to book with the ship and go to altun ha .
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Antron, you won't feel sorry on the Altun Ha excursion. You wil enjoy the bustrip, if you have a talkative guide like we had, you hear a lot about the country. Enjoy the site, I loved it. Maybe they have restored more then what I have seen couple of years ago.
Advise: take a hat and water with you, it will be very hot! Wear some good shoes with socks, because of the heat. Remember you walk there on almost midst of day. Don't forget the sunscreen either 8)

You are only a week away from sailing. Have a great cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old June 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

we did some cave exploring and rainforest touring in belize and loved every minute of it! my advice: go to wal mart and spend the $1.97 on one of those personal fans that run on aa batteries. we were there in the beginning of may and it was hotter than i expected it to be. the fans were great and we had people offering us $20 to buy them from us!

the tendering was no problem - i was worried about it too. but i sat back and closed my eyes and with the sun on my face and the breeze that smelled like rain, those 20 minutes felt like 5.

-Lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175
we did some cave exploring and rainforest touring in belize and loved every minute of it! my advice: go to wal mart and spend the $1.97 on one of those personal fans that run on aa batteries. we were there in the beginning of may and it was hotter than i expected it to be. the fans were great and we had people offering us $20 to buy them from us!

the tendering was no problem - i was worried about it too. but i sat back and closed my eyes and with the sun on my face and the breeze that smelled like rain, those 20 minutes felt like 5.

-Lisa
the fan is a great tip. and so are the socks from jacqueline.

thanks guys