Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Grand cayman Stingray Tour

My DH and I who will be on our first cruise this October, have narrowed down our chices for companies on the Stinray tour to two:

Sotos tours has been promoted as a great "small tour" experience. They offer a tour on a motor boat with SRC and one other stop. They have nice boats with rest rooms and provide fruit juice as well.

Buccaneer Catamaran offers a 3 hour tour with SRC and one or two other stops. The idea of lounging on a catamaran sounds nice. I am not sure if these have rest rooms or offer beverages.

We have never snorkeled before, so I am a bit worried abouot the other stops on the tour. I guess that is why i was considering the Buccaneer, in case I just wanted to lounge at the second stop.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We used Sotos and were very happy with them and their service.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Bucanner Catamaran have rest rooms, they have beverages and its BYOB
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
First Mate

We went on the Buccaneer and had a fabulous time! Here is a link to pictures that I took that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

We love a catamaran and this one was great!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Buccaneer Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffie
We went on the Buccaneer and had a fabulous time! Here is a link to pictures that I took that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

We love a catamaran and this one was great!
How many people were on your trip? Did you feel like you had personalized service, or like you were one of the crowd?
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
First Mate

I don't remember how many people were on the trip - maybe 20-25 at the most. (It was a year and a half ago . . . the memory of numbers is fading.)

We did NOT feel like we were part of a herd, that is for sure! I don't know what you mean by personalized, but we all got to hold and kiss a ray for 7 years good luck, and our guide went and got the eel to come out for all of us to see. The videographer came around and showed us part of whe he had taped, and we were then able to order a DVD of our excursion if we wanted.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old June 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Passenger

We had 22 on our Sotos tour. We had a great time. I've done SRC 3 times. Sotos was my favorite but for the most part its the difference betwen and A- and an A+
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I beleive it is "Bob Spoto's" Unless there is a different one now. I dive Cayman and have used Spoto a number of times. If you have a C card there are other dive services on the islands.
I loved the wall and went 125 feet deep there.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

lorriv20,

My DH and I who will be on our first cruise this October, have narrowed down our chices for companies on the Stinray tour to two:

Sotos tours has been promoted as a great "small tour" experience. They offer a tour on a motor boat with SRC and one other stop. They have nice boats with rest rooms and provide fruit juice as well.

Buccaneer Catamaran offers a 3 hour tour with SRC and one or two other stops. The idea of lounging on a catamaran sounds nice. I am not sure if these have rest rooms or offer beverages.

We have never snorkeled before, so I am a bit worried abouot the other stops on the tour. I guess that is why i was considering the Buccaneer, in case I just wanted to lounge at the second stop.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the world of cruising!

In George Town, Grand Cayman, you are much better off booking your tours through your cruise line rather than directly with an independent operator, for two very significant reasons.

>> 1. George Town, Grand Cayman, is a tender port -- which means that you have to take a small boat, called a tender, from the ship to the shore. The ship's tours have reserved tenders, so passengers on ship's tours go ashore with their tour groups whereas passengers with independent tour arrangements have to wait in the queue until a tender is available -- which could be an hour or more, especially if there are a lot of ship's tours going ashore. The problem is that there are only a few tenders that carry only hundred or so passengers per transit for ships with a couple thousand passengers, and a round trip takes about half an hour. The delay in getting ashore cuts down on your time in port, and it also could cause you to miss a tour that you booked independently.

>> 2. George Town is also very susceptible to adverse weather. If it's forecast to be too rough for tender operations, the ships cancel the port of call. If you book a tour through your cruise line, the cruise line will issue a full refund if the ship cancels the port of call. If you book an independent tour, you may forfeit the price of the tour in this situation.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Passenger

We loved the Buccaneer!! We fould them very personable and the catamaran was so nice. Its so big, we had space to lay out towels out and sunbath and stingray city was amazing as usual. There was a rest room too and you can't beat sailing back to the dock. AWESOME STUFF
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I want to go on the Buccaneer but this ship time vs island time is giving me fits!

The site says it will have you back to the port by 1:45 pm. That's local time. The Miracle sails out at 4 pm. So that means a grand total difference of 1 1/4 hr. Will this be enough time to tender back? If you're standing there at the pier waiting for a tender, (ok this sounds dopey even to me...) but they WILL take you anyway won't they???????

It is your ship's TENDER that actually takes the passengers isn't it? I'm not in any danger of getting left there?

Kim
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWS
I want to go on the Buccaneer but this ship time vs island time is giving me fits!

The site says it will have you back to the port by 1:45 pm. That's local time. The Miracle sails out at 4 pm. So that means a grand total difference of 1 1/4 hr. Will this be enough time to tender back? If you're standing there at the pier waiting for a tender, (ok this sounds dopey even to me...) but they WILL take you anyway won't they???????

It is your ship's TENDER that actually takes the passengers isn't it? I'm not in any danger of getting left there?

Kim
It is your ship's tender that takes you back and forth.

The timing of that excursion gives you plenty of time to get back to the ship. You will be fine.
Mark Twain

Old July 12th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Phew! Thanks Michelle. I'll go ahead and make my booking with Buccaneer.

I don't know how I'm going to make it to March! I'm so excited now I could just burst. I don't know why either. Not like I haven't taken a vacation before but for some reason THIS one has be so zipped up I can hardly stand it!

Kim
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM
First Mate

Kim, I know how you feel! I am stressing because I haven't figured out what we are doing on one port on our next cruise next April! We have 6 ports, and I have booked the excursions, or made the decision on what we are doing for the other 5! I have the plane tickets, but still need to book the hotel. I probably should do that soon!

Have fun planning!
Mark Twain

Old July 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've got the hotel booked (and plenty of research done). If you need some help from either Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa, let me know.

We originally were going out of FLL, but I guess that wasn't enough excitement for me to be "done" so wound up switching the whole thing and now we're going out of Tampa!

You're doing better than me. I got 2 excursions booked, one decided what we're doing and only Cozumel up in the air. Hubby of course thinks I'm certifiable; never mind that he's right!

Kim
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:05 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWS
You're doing better than me. I got 2 excursions booked, one decided what we're doing and only Cozumel up in the air. Hubby of course thinks I'm certifiable; never mind that he's right!

Kim
Kim, you are obviously married to a man who has procrastination issues! I don't think you have problems at all.

Have you checked out Paradise Beach in Cozumel? It is a nice place to just hang out for the day. You can take a taxi to get there. I was there before the hurricane, and it is one of the first places that pulled itself together (literally!) after it.

Michelle
Mark Twain