Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via MSN to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via Yahoo to fl_tpa_1956male

I went to Belize in 2004. I had a great time. The tenders were a bit of a waste of time, but a pleasant ride, almost an excursion in themselves. They are right about the tourist zone. I understand what will happen if you venture outside. I know bad things can happen. Thanks for the info. on the tour guide.

You know, come to think of it. I wonder if Bob works for the cruise excursion companies to create fear so people will use their services.

Bob, I am so glad you live in Illinois in the good ole USA. Wow are you lucky. We have no crime here. If you venture outside the port area in most metropolitain areas you will be perfectly safe. I know if you walked around downtown miami, especially at nite you would not have any problems. I highly recommend it. A bum will not lay on your windshield trying to clean it for you on the bridge coming from the port. Demanding money, scaring you terribly. That will never happen. Or you could get on the metro rail, heading west, that is perfectly safe. If you do have problems. You will eventually find a policeman. They are the ones just sitting in their car. You could go over and tap on their window. Much the same experience could be found in Ft. Lauderdale.

Wow, it is so great here. You will never get robbed, never shot for no reason, all contractors will do exactly what you ask and never run off with your money and not deliver services. Noone has ever run into a situation where medical attention is needed and not taken them right away for help. And every hospital is ready for immediate attention. Every hospital would admit you telling you they have a specailist that you deperately need on call. Only to tell you hours later that they didnt even have one on call, much less know how to contact him.

Now I will get the response from all those that say "love it or leave it". Why dont you get out.

Well the point is. You just have to be careful when you travel. Stuff will happen. But, when you go on your own, there is a reason you are saving all that money. You are giving up some things, like safety, reliability, etc.

I have travelled on my own many times outside the established excursion system. I have never really had too much of a problem, but I know one day I will. Like the time I was riding in a bus in the curvy mountainous Andes and the teenager driver was only interested in chatting with his friends and how soon he could get back home. The faster for him, meant more free time. You have heard this type of story. I beleive earlier this year a bus fell off the mountains there for similar reasons, inattention, carelessness.

Well Bob, I highly recommend excursions in downtown Chicago. Especially tegrenne area (or however spelled), the projects. There are lots of friendly locals there.

One has to be careful, here, there, everywhere!
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Marvin Deras is dead

Sorry to have to inform you that Marvin died after a motorcar accident. For details go to Tour Operator/Radio DJ passes away after accident | Channel5Belize.com

He was 37 years old. Rest in peace Marvin.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

The name of the local gal who braids hair is Sue. I've talked to her on almost every trip and even though I don't like having my hair braided, she is a very tough, but interesting person. She actually watches my back when I am in that area and all of the local men are afraid of her. I buy her a bottle of Coke and that is just to say thanks. I always look forward to seeing her.
Marty
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Familiar Face

Cool

We were in Belize on the Carnival Dream in Jan 2011. We were told that Carnival was going to take it off there itinarary. Now we are going of Liberty of the Sea., Jan 12 We liked the shops, there are a couple that I'm going back to, but we just stayed in that one area. We were told the rest not safe. You should be cautious where ever you go. The shops out back by the big gate well not that great felt alittle uncomfortable. Carnival said they were dropping it because of the extra $$ the govt was charging them.
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by booe's mom View Post
We were in Belize on the Carnival Dream in Jan 2011. We were told that Carnival was going to take it off there itinarary. Now we are going of Liberty of the Sea., Jan 12 We liked the shops, there are a couple that I'm going back to, but we just stayed in that one area. We were told the rest not safe. You should be cautious where ever you go. The shops out back by the big gate well not that great felt alittle uncomfortable. Carnival said they were dropping it because of the extra $$ the govt was charging them.
To me, Belize is no worse than any other Caribbean port, they all have their so called bad areas!
I don't doubt the dropping is because of tendering costs, which don't exist at other ports. I was on Dream, and it was a huge undertaking, and would be a large profit loss to the cruiseline. I don't see why similar options can't be done at other ports.
Please note the original post is 5 years old.