Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Default Playa Mia

Has anyone been to this beach? How was the service, what did you like/dislike?
Any advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I wish someone that has been to Playa Mia would reply to your post because I'm interested in the answer too.
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Default Playa Mia

There is a good site about this on the web .Key in Playa Mia and the first site tells everything

Sovereign of the seas 7/16/1994
Majesty of the seas 7/16/1995
Rhapsody of the seas 7/19/1997
Sovereign of the seas 5/01/1998
Seward 5/12/1999
Miracle 9/24/2006
Valor 9/23/2007
Fantasy 12/10/2007
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

I have accessed that web site for information but it doesn't provide any first-hand information from someone that has been there. I'd like to hear if it was really crowded? full of young, old, or middle-aged people? clean water and beach? clean restrooms? inexpensive food and drinks? availability of taxis?, etc.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Passenger

We went to Playa Mia during the July 2 sailing of the Freedom of the Seas. The beach is clean and not at all rocky. The crowd tends to be mostly from the cruise ships, depending on how many are in port that day. There are plenty of water activities, just depends how much you want to spend. They have various "packages" you can buy for entry, depends on what you want. The premium package is $42 pp, which includes all the food and drinks you want, snorkeling equipment, kayaking, etc., but does not include motorized jet skis or even an umbrella. The food is so-so, buffet style Mexican food. They also have henna tatoos and massages on the beach. What I didn't like were the beach lounge chairs, they are plastic (and get very hot) and are rounded so you can't stretch out on them.

This was our second trip to Playa Mia. Last year (before the hurricane) it was much more lively and there were lots of shops at the front entrance. The hurricane apparently did quite a bit of damage as the main pavillion, which was once a thatched roof pavillion, is now a big tent. But they are trying really hard.

FYI--I heard (from other passengers on the Freedom) that Paradise Beach is just as nice and is FREE ... they have ala carte menu items for food and drink, and if you want to rent a jet ski it is rented from the people at Playa Mia, because it's right next door.

The restroom facilities are clean, and there are plenty of taxis lined up ready to take you back to the ship.

You can get the basic package ($12 pp?) and order food off the menu, but then you'll have to pay extra for towels (if you don't bring your own), snorkel equipment, etc. The basic entry fee is just that--an entry fee.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM
Passenger

We were at Playa Mia July 24. The water was crystal clear. They had kayaks, big tubes, paddle boats, and an iceburg. I think you had to leave a deposit for the tubes. There was a banana boat ride & jet skis for rent. The beach chairs were hard plastic molded lounges. Umbrellas were available. You had to leave you S&S card as a deposit for the umbrellas. Food was included with our ticket. Included on the buffet were chicken nuggets and spaghetti, just what you want on a Mexican buffet. We booked excursion though the ship and I think it was $75. It included admission to beach, open bar, food and use of water toys. Transportation was on an air conditioned bus. We left from the port at around 8:30 and returned at 1:30. Next trip we will probably do the taxi to Paradise Beach.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Thank you everyone for your responses. I just returned from my cruise and took a taxi to Playa Mia Beach Club. The water was clean and beautiful and beach great. The food pavilion, covered by a large tent, was huge and housed the buffet lunch. Those molded plastic loungers are a challenge to get out of, ha! They didn't charge for the loungers or umbrellas...as PedNurse mentioned, you just leave your S&S card if you want an umbrella. There is a small pool on the property, lots of bars, music, water toys, iceberg slide, etc. And, the employees were all very friendly and helpful. We went to Paradise Beach last year, they don't charge an admission fee but charge for loungers and umbrellas and, of course, food and beverages.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Passenger

Default playa mia-construction cozumel

was there in march and had a great time, just went at the end of september 06' and they are doing a lot of construction so i would avoid playa mia till its finished!!!!
radiance of the sea-march 2007
voyager of the sea-september 2007