Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing in Belize - Age requirement??

We are thinking of booking through a local tour company (any suggestions??) to do the cave tubing and am wondering if anyone knows about age requirements for this? Our son is 10 and daughter is 4...anyone know? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing - Age Limits

Hi There Luv2Travel - I know the cruiselines keep the age down to 10 years. Local companies take just about any age, at least those who accept - they apply extra guides just for Mom, Dad and the kids. www.belizecavetuing.net take up to babies, wrapped in their own form fitting vests Mom 'n Dad brought with them on Dad's or Mom's laps, with a guide just for them alone. Safety comes first and additional guides make the tour absolutely wonderful for the children especially, who seem to just love the caves - they even get their own little light. So, pack that extra small vest (the 10 year old can be supplied with a vest and small tube at the park), and come on down!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing - age limits.

Hello again luv2travel - sorry - that website is actually www.belizecavetubing.net and their e-mail address is info@belizecavetubing.net
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello. We did cave tubing 2 years ago with my 15 year old and 11 year old. the 11 year old, who is big (tall, not fat) for his age and a good swimmer had a LOT of trouble navigating the currents. At one point he broke away from the group and was headed down a different path and could not stop. One of the guides ended up pulling him for the entire trip. (God Bless, that poor guy!). We all enjoyed it, it was great fun, but it isn't a "lazy river" kind of ride. Not trying to scare you, but if you know ahead of time, you can take steps to prepare.

Have fun
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We did the cave tubing when our children were 10 & 12. Keep in mind that there is a 45 min walk through the rain forest carrying your tubes before you get to the river. Both of my children are tall for their age and physically fit and they had some trouble carrying their tubes. Personally, I wouldn't try it with a 4 y.o.. Maybe one of you could go with the 10 year old and the other could do something else with the 4 year old.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

I, too, would hesitate to do this with a 4 yr. old. Among other things, the water can be contaminated. I've forgotten the name of the organism, but even a scratch can become an issue and definitely wouldn't want to swallow any water.
Just my 2 cents.
Marty
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I, too, would hesitate to do this with a 4 yr. old. Among other things, the water can be contaminated. I've forgotten the name of the organism, but even a scratch can become an issue and definitely wouldn't want to swallow any water.
Just my 2 cents.
Marty
No so, fellows - several independent operators take along tiny tots, with their guides actually CARRYING them part of the way, as well as HANDICAPPED guests - believe me!! It's safe, the kids absolutely love it, and the walk, along a prepared rainforest trail, is easy. Look at the net, ask questions, ask questions and then ask some more questions. Cave Tubing in Belize was enjoyed by 102,000 guests last year - with tens of thousands being kids of all ages (official report). As for the river, this is a totally pristine, unspoiled, moutain stream with NO COMMUNITY near it. The stream is fed from the mountains of Belize and hundreds of inner springs coming from deep inside the earth. ZERO CONTAMINATION. ZERO ORGANIZMS. ZERO HEALTH RISK. 102,000 people can't be wrong. Belize? Ya gotta do it!!! Or you'll be sorreeeeee.