Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default can we eat????

Hello. We are headed to Calica and Grand Cayman in August. Where can we eat? Is it safe to eat at Xcaret? Should we only eat "packaged" stuff off the ship?? Are the unbrella drinks safe???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Admiral

A lot of people eat and drink at every port they stop in with no problem, I'm one of the few that would never eat anything off the ship unless it's from a sealed container/package or bottle, i.e., snacks, bottled beer or soda.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

the biggest concern would be with fresh fruits, vegetables and water- especially in Mexico.
Only drink soda out of a bottle or can(wipe the mouth first) only drink bottled water. The alcohol kills most of the bacteria in the drinks. Most good quality restaurants and bars have a water purification system of some kind.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Don't drink on the Islands:

* Water - bring your bottled water off the ship.
* SALADS - they use their own water to rinse off the leaves & therefore, you'll get sick.
* The bit about the alcohol could be correct - again, this won't work for everyone b/c everyone doesn't have the same immune system. I've read about this before.
* As posted above - fruits, vegetables, etc are a no-no. Anything you could think of involving their water stay away from.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

If you stick with higher end places and not just stop at the corner for something you should be fine. If you are worried, take sandwiches from room service with you ashore and take your own bottled water, but they do sell those bottled water in port and much cheaper than the $3.50 a bottle the ship sells.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

we ate at a place called breezes on grand cayman. it was an actual restaurant and pretty popular. you can tell which one it is - they give out mardi gras beads when you go in. very colorful and great food, although sandwiches, fries and sodas for 2 was close to $30. the sodas had ice in them and we had no problems at all. i think if you find a reputable looking place and see a lot of people going in and out, chances are it's a safe place.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

If you are someplace where you shouldn't drink the water, don't get ice either! I felt like an idiot the first time a fellow passenger pointed this out to me!
Marty
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman, absolutely no problems but Calica I think I would stick with what is served on ship and take my own water when leaving the ship. NMNita
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

the biggest concern would be with fresh fruits, vegetables and water- especially in Mexico.
Only drink soda out of a bottle or can(wipe the mouth first) only drink bottled water.

The biggest problem is that restaurants wash their dishes and glassware in the local water. If the water is contaminated, it contaminates the dishes and glassware, which in turn contaminate the food and beverages served in them.

That said, the drinking water is fine throughout the Caribbean islands. Mexico requires more caution, though the water in most tourist areas is now okay.

Norm.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Don't drink on the Islands:...

The drinking water is fine throughout the Caribbean, with the possible exception of Haiti.

Norm.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Cassandra,

Don't drink on the Islands:...

The drinking water is fine throughout the Caribbean, with the possible exception of Haiti.

Norm.
And Dominican Republic
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi Cassandra,

Do not worry. I think it is a cruise thing to make people afraid of local water, drinks and food, they may want to sell you their water on the ship. In all tourist places in the Riviera Maya, you have bottled drinking water used for ice, etc. Where one may has to watch out a bit is salads. However if you are in a popular place as Xcaret, there is absolutely no worries, neither for food. And this is from experience, lots of also in Xcaret. The Mexican people neither drink water from the tab or use this for ice...of course, and tourism is very important so they try to comply with all international standards in this subject. Hope it helped...no worries.

**edited by moderator***
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Captain

We've eaten at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel and had no problem at all. The food was delicious. We did order bottled water or beer, though.

We've also eaten at Carlos and Charley's at Cozumel and Playa del Carmen and had no problem there, either.

Libragirl
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
We've eaten at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel and had no problem at all. The food was delicious. We did order bottled water or beer, though.

We've also eaten at Carlos and Charley's at Cozumel and Playa del Carmen and had no problem there, either.

Libragirl
Pancho's is a must for anyone stopping in Cozumel. We too ate everything, drank what we wanted including water and have never had a bad experience. I guess we have been there about 4 or 5 times now. go, at least have a Margarita and don't worry. NMNita
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:58 AM
First Mate

what kind of food does pancho's have? We are going back to cozumel in april, trying to think of new things to do/see.
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Default Local Food & Drink

Its funny. In St. Lucia we went on an island tour with a private taxi (not booked though the ship). Our driver stopped at several places, including some private homes, and bought us home baked bread, cookies and local fruit. We also stopped by the botanical gardens where he treated us to fried fish with banana ketchup and Johnnie cakes. He provided bottled water, Piton Beer and home made rum punch for drinks. Everything was wonderful and I never stopped to think about health issues. I guess we were either lucky or the food standards in St. Lucia are better than in Mexico, but in either case I’d probably eat it all again. All of it was wonderful.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas