Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Default Zip line Canopy Tour and Dunn's River Falls possible???

I am going on the Carribean Princess on August 12, 2006. I have already reserved a Canopy Tour starting at 10:30 am from the boat. Our itinerary states that we will arrive at 7:00am in Ocho Rios. Does anyone know when they will start letting us off the boat? Will we be able to take a Taxi to Dunn's River Falls and get back by 10:30 to make the Canopy Tour. One tour states that they spend 1 hour to climb the falls and 30 minutes from the bus to the falls and return. I really want to see the falls but worry we might miss the canopy tour.

If anyone could give me advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Hi Leesa,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

IMO, I don't think you'll be able to do both. If the Canopy tour was earlier or later, maybe you could.

I hope someone who has done this before can give you more info.

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Was on the Canopy Tour last March.....it is a blast!! Definitely do this tour!Check with the excursions desk... as the ship I was on had 2 different tours and one was at 8 or 8:30 am. If you can get on this tour, it would be possible to do both. The Canopy Tour will last a good 3+ hours. Going on the 10:30 tour, there would not be enough time to go to the Falls before or after, as it is very very busy there. Try for the early Canopy Tour and you could do Dunns River afterwards.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Passenger

That's what I was afraid of. The early canopy tour was already full, I will try putting us on a wait list for 8:30. Thanks for your help.
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Leesa,

I am going on the Carribean Princess on August 12, 2006. I have already reserved a Canopy Tour starting at 10:30 am from the boat. Our itinerary states that we will arrive at 7:00am in Ocho Rios. Does anyone know when they will start letting us off the boat? Will we be able to take a Taxi to Dunn's River Falls and get back by 10:30 to make the Canopy Tour. One tour states that they spend 1 hour to climb the falls and 30 minutes from the bus to the falls and return. I really want to see the falls but worry we might miss the canopy tour.

If anyone could give me advise, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I agree; it sounds unrealistic to do both based on the time of your Zip Line tour.

Having said that, many ports of call offer zip line tours. Dunn's River Falls is unique -- and it's also a blast! Given the choice, I would do the Dunn's River Falls tour there.

BTW, the shore excursion that combines Dunn's River Falls with Prospect Plantation is very good because the tour of Prospect Plantation is exceptional. I don't want to spoil the surprises, but the Jamaican plantatoins are unique because they typically occupy a whole mountan that spans many climatological zones (Jamaica's "Blue Ridge" is higher than Mount Washington), in which they grow an incredible variety of crops that made them pretty self-sufficient. This is very different from the plantations of the American South and of many other Caribbean islands, which depended heavily on trade because their relatively level terrain and uniformity of climate limited the crops that they could grow.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Hi,
Unfortunately, I do not think you would have time to do both. One of the cruises I was on took a while to let us off the boat and we were rushed through one of our excursions. (was not a happy camper!)
Dunn River Falls is very busy. You actually walk up the middle of the falls to the top and you might have to wait for a guide to take you up. You might have time to go and look at it but it is just not the same as experiencing the walk through it. I went with a group of people and we all held hands in a line and walk up the falls. This was seven years ago, not sure how they do it now. We actually stayed at a resort for five days in Jamaica and did a few things there. I plan to do it again!!!

Have fun just a thought you could get a taxi and follow the 8:30 group there a probably a few others that would go with you. Check out your excursion on line and see what you can arrange. We had a group of people join our pub crawl excursion in Ket West that way.

Liz
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all your tips! I can't wait, it is all I can think about now and I still have a week to go!
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Just wanted to do a post-cruise reply. We caught a cab and they took us to a place to look out at the falls, then drove us up to a top of a hill in a residential area to take pictures of the cruise ship and to fern gully to stop and take pictures. We were back in time to shop a little and get back to catch our zip line tour. We were some of the first off the ship.