Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM
First Mate

Default how many of you actually get the yellow fever shot?

my first cruise south will be to the panama canal ( colon, limon and belize ) next april. i am going to be doing a rainforest tour in limon and snorkeling in belize. is it advisable to get the shot or have passengers gone and not gotten it with no problems. it is not that i am afraid of shots i just dont know if it is a absolute neccesity or not to get it before i go.

what are your opinions on this. yes or no?
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

antron,

my first cruise south will be to the panama canal ( colon, limon and belize ) next april. i am going to be doing a rainforest tour in limon and snorkeling in belize. is it advisable to get the shot or have passengers gone and not gotten it with no problems. it is not that i am afraid of shots i just dont know if it is a absolute neccesity or not to get it before i go.

what are your opinions on this. yes or no?

You might want to check out the listing by countries on the Center for Disease Control's web site, but I know that it's not necessary for cruises into or through the Panama Canal, in the Caribbean, or to the Mexican Riviera. The U. S. Army pretty much eradicated malaria and yellow fever in Panama in the process of digging the ditch.

BTW, I have done "Panama Canal" cruises with ports of call in Costa Ricain in both directions, with no problem.

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:52 AM
First Mate

norm, thanks so much for the reply. i am not so worried about it now but i will look up the listing you posted. i am glad to know that this cruise is one that is not so much of a worry.

thanks again
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Hi, Here is the link for travelors info on the CDC website with mutliple links for specific diseases. We have traveled extensively through MX, and done day ports in Belize with no problems (Belize City area) for a jungle tour. Theoretically - the loner you're there the greater the risk of transmission. Probably the greater risk is Hepatitis as it is a stable live virus in the environment, while the others require a mosquito bite from infected vector. You have to weigh the costs vs. the benefits of taking the prohy drugs - some have undesirable side-effects.
Hope this helps.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm#diseases

Have a great trip - take care.

-poaJune
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:42 AM
First Mate

thanks for the info. i didnt know if it a shot was needed or not. i dont think i am going to worry about it.

thanks again
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I think you'll be fine on a cruise alone. But if you were going to these places say for a week on vacation? Then I'd look into it. These are still 3rd countries.

I know my sister & her friends had to get shots to go to the Dominican Republic for vacation for week. It was like 4 shots or something. One I know was tetanus, don't remember the others.
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
I think you'll be fine on a cruise alone. But if you were going to these places say for a week on vacation? Then I'd look into it. These are still 3rd countries.

I know my sister & her friends had to get shots to go to the Dominican Republic for vacation for week. It was like 4 shots or something. One I know was tetanus, don't remember the others.
thanks cassandra, i will only be in the ports for a few hours so i am going to forgo getting the shot. i will take my chances like the other cruisers do.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Everyone should have a tetanus shot every 10 years, cruising or not! I wouldn't worry about the others for a cruise unless the CDC recommends them. My doctor also recommends the pertussis (whooping cough) booster. What we got in elementary school doesn't last forever !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

we also decided to forego the shots and pills and everything EXCEPT the tetanus boosters. (i do recommend getting these a few weeks in advance, since we both ended up sick as dogs with flu-like symptoms for several days.)

my doc also advised against most of that since we'd only be in port for a few hours. we did some rainforest hiking in belize and honduras and he told us to take the bug spray with deet and use it every 2 hours or if we got wet and it washed off. i learned 2 things:

1. bug spray is BAD for coral so if you're going snorkeling, wash it off beforehand and put it back on when you're done.

2. some critters chomped our legs up, even with the deet. and the ones in honduras (not sure what they were but they were VERY hungry) left what looked like mosquito bites that lasted almost 6 weeks. a trip to the doc and some blood work turned up nothing to be concerned about but man, did it freak me out.....

enjoy the cruise!
lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
First Mate

thanks for the tips everyone. i have had a tetanus shot in the last couple of years so i have that covered. and i really am glad to get the tip about the bug spray being bad for the coral. i would never have thought of that. i will go and have a great time even if i get a few bites ( i hope i dont ) but bugs kind of like me so im sure i will .

i cant wait to get there and have a great time.
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Passenger

We have been to Belize twice and never a problem. One excursion, we did the cave tubbing and other was mayan ruins. Never been to Panama, so no clue on that one.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillgunter
We have been to Belize twice and never a problem. One excursion, we did the cave tubbing and other was mayan ruins. Never been to Panama, so no clue on that one.
thanks for the reassurance that you had no problem. i have decided to forgo any shots since i will only be there for a few hours. i just didnt know if it was standard proceedure to get any special shots for the rainforest. i will take my chances. from what i have read there has been no need for them from the earlier cruisers who were there for only the day.

thanks again.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Admiral

AS long as your booster is up to date no other shots are needed. We have been to Belize a couple of times, done the river tour and never had a problem. I would recommend you use Deet to keep the bugs away. It certainly can't hurt and may helf protect you against bites period. In Roatan a few years ago, DH didn't put it on in time and the sand fleas had breakfast, lunch and dinner on his legs. NMnita