Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel, East side road washed out?

If anyone has recently been around on the East side of Cozumel can you tell me if the road is drivable around the entire island now? Wanting to rent a jeep while there and hoping to do the circle tour of the island.
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Kinda sorta

The old road (right along the water) was washed out when we were there in January 2006, but the newer road (about 100 yards further inland) was passable all the way around. It is probably in better shape now, but I think repairs closer to San Miguel were being given higher priorities back in Janaury.

Hope this helps.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Passenger

A friend of mine just returned within the past few weeks & rented a dune buggy to circumvent the island - including the East coast.. She did not report any problems of this nature , but I am happy to check and see specifically about washed out roads on the E. side.
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi Guys, roads on the other side is completely open and in good conditions. Stick to the speed limit ... the great view may takes a lot of your attention. The hurricane destroyed large parts of the street (after 62 hours of cat 4-5) and because of the large damage in entire Cozumel, it took a while. All is ready now and the second pier in downtown (Punta Langosta) is scheduled to open at the end of this month, ye!

**edited by moderator***
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Captain

That is wonderful about the second pier getting ready to open. We will be there in October and, hopefully, will not have to be tendered in. I am also really happy about the road that circles the island. My husband and I may rent a car and drive all the way around it.

I think the people of Cozumel are amazing. They have worked so hard to get the island back in good shape.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!!!!

Libragirl