Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Captain

Default Has anyone rented a car to drive to Tulum?

My husband and I frequently rent a car and go on our own excursions. We are docking in Calica (Playa Del Carmen) in October and will probably rent a car and drive to Tulum. We have heard it is beautiful and are really looking forward to it. If you have been there, or have rented a car and driven there, I would love to hear from you.

THANKS!!

Libragirl from Texas
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Libragirl,

My husband and I frequently rent a car and go on our own excursions. We are docking in Calica (Playa Del Carmen) in October and will probably rent a car and drive to Tulum. We have heard it is beautiful and are really looking forward to it. If you have been there, or have rented a car and driven there, I would love to hear from you.

I recommend strongly against this. If you want to go to either Tulum or Ex Caret, take the ship's excursion. Both of these destinations require taking a ferry across the channel from San Miguel de Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, then shifting to land transportation for the drive to the destinatiion, with reverse arrangements on the reverse trip. If the ship's excursion misses the ferry due to congestion from an accident or some other cause on the return trip, the ship will make alternate arrangeements to get the affected passengers back aboard. If you rent a car and encounter a similar problem, you will have to pay for accommodations, meals, and flights to the ship's next port of call.

That said, be sure that each member of your party brings a large (liter) bottl of water from the ship and drinks from it frequently, especially while in the area where the ruins are, to revent dehydration if you decide to go to Tulum.

Have a great cruise!

Norm
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Captain

Norm,

Thanks for the info.

Libragirl
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi there,

Ok, some info: - car rental no problem BUT, please be aware of that the street between Calica (Playa del Carmen) and Tulum is beeing extended (wider) and the traffic can be HORRIBLE, something for really good drivers, you do not want to have an accident on the road...you will miss the ship for sure..Mexican driving rules are based on time available and size (!).
-Tulum IS beautiful, however as an independant explorer as well, I recommend a good guided tour since there is so much interesting stuff to know about the Mayas and the Ruins, you could be impressed.
-Ferry: NO ferry needed from Calica, only from Cozumel...every your departure.
-Buy water on ship: well try to buy yourself a "cold" water at the ruins, half the price and absolutely 100% safe...comon bottled water IS bottled water, either the ship makes $3 or the locals (!) $0.5...no intention of putting down the cruise line, but rather common sense.

**edited by moderator***
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Captain

Cozumelcruising,

Do you actually live in Cozumel? How long have you lived there, and do you love it there? We have been to Cozumel 7 times and love it. My husband and I have thought about buying a house in Playa del Carmen. We looked at one shortly before Hurricane Wilma, but didn't buy it. (I was glad afterward, because I'm afraid it may have been badly damaged during the storm.)

Anyway, I would love to hear from you about what it is like to live in Cozumel.

Libragirl from Texas
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM
cozumelcruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Cozumelcruising,

Do you actually live in Cozumel? How long have you lived there, and do you love it there? We have been to Cozumel 7 times and love it. My husband and I have thought about buying a house in Playa del Carmen. We looked at one shortly before Hurricane Wilma, but didn't buy it. (I was glad afterward, because I'm afraid it may have been badly damaged during the storm.)

Anyway, I would love to hear from you about what it is like to live in Cozumel.

Libragirl from Texas
Hi Libragirl, yes I live in Cozumel, now since four years. How it is to live here...great (if you do not work here...this is another story)...great if you like tranquility, everything is near, people are really nice and well, in 5 minutes you are at the beach. Hurricanes, well Wilma was special and honestly BAD, but people are fabulous and everything is back up..Hurricanes happen but if you look at the way houses are built, there is no worries. Do I recommend to live here...yes!
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Captain

Cozumelcruising,

Thanks for the information. I know you feel like you are living in Paradise. That is the way I feel about Playa del Carmen. I also really love Cozumel.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Captain

Just thought I would update this post. My husband and I recently returned from a cruise. We went to Playa del Carmen. We rode a bus to Tulum for $2.80 a person. We paid $4.50 a piece to get into Tulum. After walking around for an hour or so, we walked back to the highway, which was a 10 minute walk. There was a Servicio Collectivo van there. We took it back to Playa for $2.50 a person.

We had a great time. Tulum was BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Beginner

I wouldn't recommend renting a car in Mexico. We took a ferry over to Playa del Carmen from Cozumel and hired a taxi driver to take us out to Tulum, wait for us, and then we paid him when we got back. It was a LOT cheaper than booking through the cruise line. We paid about $40 a person for the ferry and taxi where the ship was charging $100. Have fun!