Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Familiar Face

Default Roatan, Majahual, Cozumel, Belize...what beaches there?

Hey everyone... sailing on the Grand Princess out of Galveston for new years. woohhoo... Now, we are going to take it easy on this one. No shore excursions. We just want to go to the beach. Thats the reason why I am trying to find some names for nice beaches on those ports. So I can start figuring out how to get there. Now, I am preferably looking for something more isolated. I mean, i know everything will be busy that time a year but I would like to know about those places where the ships ARE NOT taking their passengers.... any ideas??..
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Hello Eddie,

I think you'll be better off in Cozumel or in Roatan., Belize do have beaches but in Belize you got to take an excursion
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Majahual - Its a tiny fishing village with beach. To get there go outside the port area. You can get a cab for about $3 each way. There are restaurants and bars along the beach. You can also make arrangements for waverunners, parasailing, banana boat rides, etc. right off the beach.

Belize - I would recomment Caye Caulker. You can take the water taxi there. If you do a google search you should be able to pull up the site that gives the times it runs. As I recall it was about $18/pp roundtrip.

Cozumel - Lots of beaches to pick from. We liked Chankanaab Park. There was pretty decent snorkeling right from the beach.

Sorry, can't help you with Roatan as I haven't been there (yet).
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

For Roatan, check out Tabyana Beach. I know Carnival does a "drop-off and pick up" thing if you check out the shore excursion desk. The beach was secluded and they had washrooms, showers, a little snack hut with cold drinks, and a hut that rented snorkel gear. The beach also had lots of lawn chairs for people who wanted to soak up the sun, but to be honest, there weren't that many people there.

If you decide to snorkel, you have to go out past the sea grass (maybe 40 feet from the shore) and there's a slight dropoff where there are lots of colorful plants and fish to check out. I taught my bf how to snorkel there and it was a great place for a first-timer to learn and a great place for me as well, even though i'd done it before.

Have a GREAT time!!!
Lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Passenger

We are doing the same cruise on Dec. 9th. My brother-in-law was stationed in Honduras with the Border Patrol several times. He said that he has been to Roatan a few times, and the diving and snorkeling is the best there. The drive from the port was about 20-25 minutes. He said that WEST BAY BEACH, not to be confused with West End Beach, is the nicest beach for swimming and snorkeling. It has crystal clear water, white sand and hardly any waves. You can rent snorkeling equipment for about $10 from any hotel. If you don't have time or desire for that, the West End is more for hanging out at rest. or bars and souv., but the beach is not so nice. Hope that helps. I will post what we find after we get back.

Audrey
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Familiar Face

That would be great audrey... very much appreciated... we just want a relaxed week.. not planning in doing site seeing ... just want to relax and enjoy the sun...
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Passenger

in cozumel, take a cab to mr sanchos resort. only cost like 4 bucks to get in (might be free cant remember) beach is beautiful and lots of room. can rent lounges and they have free picnic tables and a neat outdoor bar with swings for barstools. guarnteed to have a great time! im going there in november. happy cruising!!!!
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Another option is while onboard go to either the Purser's desk or to the Cruise Directors office and ask them to recommend a reputable cab company on a specific island. Those cabbies will be waiting for your fare at the pier, ask them to take you to a beautiful beach that is not a tourist trap, where the locals go, and arrange for Roundtrip transportation, and DO NOT PAY the cabbie until the return trip.