Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Colon, Panama - Bad Port?

We will be stopping in Colon on our Zenith cruise in January. What is the story? Is this a dangerours port, not much to see or do? Lots of ship excursions but we don't do ship excursions. We have been to Panama before and have seen the Canal.

Just curious about this particular port - any information or suggestions you can give will be helpful.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Only do ships excursions at this port or plan to stay at the shopping area at the port--will be enough to keep you busy---
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Admiral

we have pretty much decided to either just check the shopping mall for a couple of minutes or stay on the ship: too many scarry reports. NMnita
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

This was about 5 years ago, but when we were there we took a cab into the downtown area and we walked around. We were perfectly safe but it was a bit freaky. Don't think we bought anything anyway and I was pretty happy to get back to the ship. There is some souvenier shopping right at the port. Beware if you have kids though cause my 16 yr. old (at the time) left the ship again unbenownst to us (the little B) and they sold him a bottle of vodka for $5. He was very babyfaced at the time and didn't even look 16! Obviously I put the brakes on that kid once I discovered what had happened but it was rather upsetting all the way around. Good news is though: they sell cheap booze at the port!

Kim
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:30 PM
First Mate

Hi,

Isn't Colon the Costa Rican port of call on the Carribean sea side of that country ??

Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are also stopping in Puerto Limon which IS in Costa Rica. Colon is in Panama.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Admiral

After visiting Colon Panama, I see only two viable options
1) book ship's tour
2) stay on board
there ARE some little shops right off the gangplank, but don't leave the pier area. Or at least that's MY take !

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Passenger

We stopped in colon on our Panama canal cruise Nov 06. We stayed on the peir and they warned us not to go into colon. well, that night we met a couple who did. they were followed in and out of everywhere they went. when they stopped and asked what the story was, they were from the port authority and were their personal "body guards" assuring that nothing happened to them. They had a unique experience. But, I figure if the port authority is going to follow you, there may be known danger lurking. deb
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Nothing to do in Colon. They stop there to retreive all passengers that have gone on Shore Excursions from Gatun Lake.

The port has a "Cultural Bizarre" set up on the pier that is kinda lame. I have been there twice and bought great 100% cotton T-shirts for $5.00 a piece but nothing else they were selling interested me.

I asked on these boards about a "free Trade Zone" but was strongly advised not to go due to the area being dangerous.

The Bizarre takes about 15 minutes to walk through and about 45 minutes if you stop at different booths to look at stuff.

If it is a Panama Canal trip stay on the ship and enjoy the transition. Get off at the pier and walk the bizarre and then climb back on. I am sure you will agree that the stop is only to pick up shore excursion passengers.

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Passenger

by the way, Puerto Limon Costa Rica is a better and safer port, but there is not much there either. Our first trip we walked around the city streets and did the jungle cruise. The second time we did a white water rafting trip. Both excursions were o.k..

Nothing about this port was spectacular and both times the weather was dreary and rainy.

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

BrianTom:

What month were you in Costa Rica? I have been checking the weather and the area has been getting a lot of showers, hope it will change by the time we sail - January 19. We have never had bad weather cruising in the winter months, guess we have been lucky.

We have a private tour booked in Puerto Limon for the day with other cruise board members and also in Rotan, Honduras. We are not doing a Canal cruise, only stopping in the ports for the day. Don't have any ships excursions booked, we always do our own thing or book the excursions on the Internet and find other people on the cruise to join us. It works very well.

Bon Voyage!
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Cruztime,

We were in Puerto Limon both times in March. One in the begining of the month and the other towards the end. The weather was exactly the same both times: crappy.

I did not enjoy either stops. I know the Panama stop is a necessary evil to retrieve passengers, but I wish they would skip Puerto Limon all together. It is not a great destination.

Of all the cruises I have been on, Puerto Limon is the only port where the weather was crappy almost all day. Not even fun to stay by the pool on the ship.

Enjoy your trip... looks like your close. By the way, we did the trips on the Island Princess and the Brillance of the Seas. what ship are you on?

Old January 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We will be on the Zenith for 10 days. We will not be going through the Canal - other ports are Honduras, Colon, Cozumel and Grand Caymen. We won't be picking up any passengers - don't know why we are going there....

I am happy just to be cruising on my favorite cruise line, Celebrity...sorry the Zenith is leaving the fleet and happy we will have the opportunity to sail on her before she departs in April.

There is no such thing as a bad cruise - only a better cruise!

Happy sailing.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Passenger

have to say this if i ever go to colon again i would not get off the ship
i was in the navy and we went there in 1973,.,man we lost 1 shipmate
there.,more drugs there then in nyc.,.i say if you are over 30 DO NOT
LEAVE THE SHIP,.,BY THE WAY THEY DO LOVE BASEBALL THERE
GO SEE A GAME YOU WILL BE VERY SAFE AT A BALL PARK
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since we were not interested in touring (we already toured the Canal) we stayed on the ship. We got off only to walk around the little shopping area that they built at the dock. Pretty little place, but they were selling the same stuff you can purchase in all the ports. I bought a Christmas ornament. Not much to say about this port. Go on a ship excursion or get off and walk around for a 1/2 hour! We saved a lot of money by visiting this port. Didn't buy much and saved by not taking any excursions.
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Familiar Face

I thoroughly enjoyed Peurto Limon only because I found overwelming praise for a private tour guide on these message boards. Its the only way to dive into the true sites and culture of this great and beautiful country. We visited banana plantation, wetlands river tour, a "local's" restaurant on the beach, refugee village, common residentials, a "local's" grocery store (where we purchase vanilla and fine coffee at a third cost than at cruise port), saw monkeys, sloths( which we held), bats, many birds, crockadile. Our guide, Charlie, has a quoted price for different excursions that can be changed to your preferences. He says, If Your Expectations Aren't Met, You Only Pay Accordingly....but, everyone on our van bus overpayed him. He was that good!
Reach him at OkeyDokeyTours..you won't be disapointed.
Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April/07 - Fun In The Sun
Brilliance Of The Seas, Partial Panama, March/08 - Here We Go Again!
Vision Of The Seas, Mexico, Dec/08 - 50th Birthday