Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default Beaches in St. Martin and St. Thomas for kids stuff to do

I've been reading these boards and others. I have done some searching but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe it doesn't exist. I am looking for a beach in St. Thomas and/or St. Martin with things besides snorkeling for the kids to do. They are 14 and 11. For example in Cozumel, we went to Playa Mia and they had fun stuff like a wall climb in the middle of the water, a water trampoline, banana boats, paddle boats, volley ball, etc. Anyone know of a beach in either of these destinations with anything like this? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd recommend Orient Beach in St. Maarten. They do offer lots of water activities, plus there are plenty of lounge chairs, restaurants/bars, etc. It is located right next to a nudest colony beach and its topless, so something to consider when going with kids.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I second Donna's suggestion, we took a taxi to Orient Beach in June and loved it. We made arrangements with our taxi driver to pick us up at a certain time and he was there on the dot. My grandson, 15 years old, had a blast. He went on a large float pulled by a jet ski similar to a banana boat called the Flying Fish, he loved it!! They offered a lot of water fun....jet skis, wind surfers, etc. There are lots of restaurants, the beach and water was clean and beautiful. You can rent lounge chairs and umbrellas at a nominal cost and order beverages from the passing wait staff. I can't wait to go back to Orient Beach, it was a most outstanding day and our choice for best beach anywhere.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Admiral

ditto Orient Beach in St. Maarten - just know that the beach is french so it is topless and yes there is a clothing optional section.
St. Thomas - i don't recall any beach that has water "toys" Coki Beach/Coral World is very family friendly as is Sapphire Beach.
Old September 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks a bunch everyone! I think we'll take your advice on Orient Beach..and in St. Thomas, I think we're planning on heading over to St. John to Trunks Bay unless I find something better for the kids in the meantime there.
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Admiral

I think you will like St. John's Trunk Bay...the beach is gorgeous, they have a snack bar, changing facilities and restrooms. If you snorkel, they have a string of buoys laid out and you can snorkel from one to another. There is a line descending from the buoys to a sign identifying exactly what you are looking at. The snorkeling was great when we were there.
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Admiral

St. John Island is gorgeous! you won't find any beaches that have the toys, as it is a national park. You will find gorgeous scenery, crystal clear turquoise waters, white sandy beaches and really good snorkeling. You can rent floatation mats and sunfish type day sailboats
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Familiar Face

I noticed someone said there is a snack bar at Trunk Bay. Do they serve alcoholic drinks there? Is there shopping in the area within walking distance? Will we have to rent lounge chairs? Thanks in advance!
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Admiral

no alcohol service at Trunk Bay or at any of the beaches on St. John.
You can rent lounge chairs at Trunk Bay
The shopping area on St. John is a short walk from the pier at Cruz Bay
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Beaches in St. Thomas/St. Marteen

We visited these ports last April. We traveled with 5 families and found a spot on each island.

St. Thomas may have been Orient Beach. We took a cab there from the port and enjoyed a day in the beach chairs, under umbrellas. They had waiters and such on the beach where you could order food and drink.

Snorkeling was a minimal cost and the kids loved it (our kids were 10, 12, 13, 17, 10 and 14 at this stop). There were jet skis and such for rent across the road. We got there right when we pulled in and stayed about 3-4 hours. By mid day the beach began to get busy.

In St. Marteen we were scheduled for a catamaran tour that got cancelled due to a light wind. In the am (before we knew about the cancellation), we took the water taxi in to town to do some shopping. We noticed a small beach right near where the water taxi stop is.

When we received word of the cancellation, we did that as a Plan B. The kids had a blast. They have a water trampoline, jet ski rentals, and tons of beach. There was a minimal cost for the trampoline but kept the kids occupied for the entire afternoon.

Again the waiters were there with anything you could imagine. The other thing is the locals will stop and try to sell you their wears.

Either way, both are wonderful ports of call. We enjoyed it so much my husband would like to retire in St. Marteen and be the one selling you the lawn chairs.

Enjoy and safe travels.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

chefkel22 What the beach called in st Thomas not Orient the other beach we will have two children and they will be 13 and 11 need something fun like that

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Beaches/STT and St. Maarten

We really love Orient Beach though, as others have said, you have to prepare your kids for the topless/clothing optional thing. But there is so much there. There is a really festive atmosphere, and Baywatch beach bar has the BEST hamburgers and onion rings ever. Andy and Cheryl are expats from New Jersey who left the cold behind and moved to SXM years ago to open this beach bar and never looked back. It's great. However, it's down near the end where Club Orient is, so it is not unusual for "strollers" wearing little to nothing to stop by for lunch. I do think, with some talks beforehand with your children about cultural differences, they probably won't give it much thought after a while. There is a trampoline anchored off the beach that's lots of fun and lots of various water toys available to rent.

On St. Thomas, Coki Beach is near Coral World, which is a great aquarium complex you could go to prior to some beach time, and I think your kids would love it. I can't remember the exact name of it, but there's also an outfit based there (Sea Trekkin'?) where you put "bubbles" on your head into which oxygen is pumped, and you can go strolling on the ocean floor about 20 feet down without having to know how to scuba. Your kids are old enough for that. Have a great trip! STT and SXM are my two favorite places in the whole world! 8)
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tommy B:

The name of the beach in St. Thomas was Coki Beach.

If you google Beaches in St. Thomas there is a great site (vinow or something like that).

This site lists all the various beaches on the island. This beach was a recommendation from cruisers on this site so we decided to check it out.

Great spot if you get there early. Tours do stop so tends to get busy by mid/late afternoon.

Let me know if we can help you with anything else. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Default St. Marteen and St. John with children

I am also travelling with children, ages 8, 11 and 14. From these posts, Orient Beach in St. Marteen sounds like a large place. In what section of the beach can we find the water trampoline, floats, banana boats etc?

Also, is Cinnamon Bay in St. John a fun destination for children? Are there chair rentals, food concession, water floats and bathrooms?

Thank you!! Jamie
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Hey everyone thanks for the great information. I'm cruising at the end of April on the Liberty. My wife and I plan on hitting a beach in St. Thomas. We like the beaches that have bars where we can walk up and order a drink, Music playing, kinda of a party atmosphere (kind of). Which beach is better Coki or Magens Bay?
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Passenger

If you want the prettiest beach in St. Thomas, go to St. John and Trunk Bay. THey DO serve alcohol, there, as my hubby and I purchased beer there in November, 2006. I heard people were disappointed in Magens and Coki.
It's the #2 beach in the WORLD according to Travel Channel. you can snorkel, take it easy, have a few beers, etc. We've been here twice and loved it both times.
Hope this helps!
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Passenger

Thank you! At Trunk Bay, are there chair rentals and a food concession? Also, are there floats and kayaks etc for rent? I need amenities like that for my children.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Familiar Face

Can anyone else confirm that there are alcoholic beverages to be purchased at Trunk Bay? Someone said there is, someone else said there isn't. Just want to make sure. And is there ANY water activities for the kids to do? Anything?

Thanks!