Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Default Info. on Roatan

I know where Roatan is but know little about it. Have heard of the West End--whatever that is . Is there shopping, bars, etc. at the pier or do you have to take a cab to town, etc.
Any info. appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Ron, you can take a short walk to your right when you leave the pier and there are quite a few shops. There are also a few places to eat. The West End has some beach areas and the restaurants are generally very good. You have totry the local beer, it is either Port Royal or Royal Port, can't remember, but it is awesome.
I usually go to what is called half moon bay? They have a little bar that serves great food and overlooks the bay.
Roatan is very poor and dirty, but I have always felt safe there.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Thanks very much for the info. It appears that Roatan is not a port that has a lot of visitors , or at least cruisers . But, I'm sure it'll be interesting.
Thanks again.
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

i'm in the same boat (pun intended) as I too will be visiting Rotan for the first time next year on the Carnival Valor. I have some time to think it over, but I would love ideas on great shore trips.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Our first time to Roatan we took a ship tour to Tabyana beach. The snorkeling is super easy and right off of the shore (and the best we have seen anywhere). The beach is gorgeous, also. It became our favorite port of all time. The next two cruises that we took was because we wanted to get back to Roatan. Each of those times, we went outside the gate and down the road to the left. Toward the end of the taxi line we talked with a driver and asked them how much it would cost to take us to the Mayan Princess (a hotel on the same beach as Tabyana). Beaches are public on Roatan, so as long as we got close, we could enjoy the snorkeling at Tabyana and enjoy the gorgeous beach. The beach is very long--probably a mile long and it is lined with nice places to eat. It is paradise!! The taxi cost us $30 round trip and that included a stop at West Bay to do a bit of shopping. Last February and the time before, the driver dropped us off at the Mayan Princess and we scheduled a time for him to pick us up later that afternoon. Each driver was prompt and particularly friendly. Of course we did not pay him until we were returned to the ship in the afternoon. In our opinion, after doing a lot of cruises, this is the ultimate port. I'd move there in a minute! Enjoy!
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonh
Our first time to Roatan we took a ship tour to Tabyana beach. The snorkeling is super easy and right off of the shore (and the best we have seen anywhere). The beach is gorgeous, also. It became our favorite port of all time. The next two cruises that we took was because we wanted to get back to Roatan. Each of those times, we went outside the gate and down the road to the left. Toward the end of the taxi line we talked with a driver and asked them how much it would cost to take us to the Mayan Princess (a hotel on the same beach as Tabyana). Beaches are public on Roatan, so as long as we got close, we could enjoy the snorkeling at Tabyana and enjoy the gorgeous beach. The beach is very long--probably a mile long and it is lined with nice places to eat. It is paradise!! The taxi cost us $30 round trip and that included a stop at West Bay to do a bit of shopping. Last February and the time before, the driver dropped us off at the Mayan Princess and we scheduled a time for him to pick us up later that afternoon. Each driver was prompt and particularly friendly. Of course we did not pay him until we were returned to the ship in the afternoon. In our opinion, after doing a lot of cruises, this is the ultimate port. I'd move there in a minute! Enjoy!
Thanks for you information.

/ticker.png">
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Familiar Face

If you want to get away from it all, check out

www.santewellnesscenter.com

I booked two massages in one day, had an incredible lunch and an
interesting taxi ride with very good instructions from Angela, all at
a private island hacienda.

Sue