Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Harbahqueen
Default Ocho Rios

Greetings all :o ,

Got a question for you. My sister & I, 46 & 50, respectively in age, are booked on Star Princess 3/24/07. One of our stops is Ocho Rios. Along with us will be my nephew 23 & my son 21 yrs old, who have never cruised. This will be our second one. Got hooked on it last March. We would all like to have a good time, which will definitely include Margaritville. We also will be seeing the DRF, (although we are not "gym rats", not sure if we will actually do the climb ) & will do the White River tubing. My question is.... any suggestions for a safe fun time in Ocho Rios? We do love to have a good time...laugh,dance talk with the locals. Although, safety is our first concern.

Cheers!

Carnival Liberty

Grandeur of the Seas 3/06
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Harbahqueen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Got a question for you. I have read your reviews of your cruises. You seem to be like toi have fun, at least one that knows how to enjoy life, and seek out the best places and resources for a good safe time. My sister & I, 46 & 50, respectively in age, are booked on Star Princess 3/24/07. One of our stops is Ocho Rios. Along with us will be my nephew 23 & my son 21 yrs old, who have never cruised. This will be our second one. Got hooked on it last March. We would all like to have a good time, which will definitely include Margaritville. We also will be seeing the DRF, (although we are not "gym rats", not sure if we will actually do the climb ) & will do the White River tubing. My question is.... any suggestions for a safe fun time in Ocho Rios? We do love to have a good time...laugh,dance talk with the locals and have not lead sheltered lives. I thought you may a good one to ask.
I'm not DTW, but I have been to Ocho Rios several times and would gladly go back there!

Ocho Rios is not a great place to go ashore on your own. I highly recommend any of the shore excursions that include the climb up Dunn's River Falls. The excursion that combines Dunn's River Falls with Prospect Plantation is very good, but there are also various excursions that go to the falls by "raft" or whatever where they throw a great party if that's more your style.

For the climb up Dunn's River Falls, you'll need to wear swimsuits under your clothes, bring a towel, and bring a pair of "water shoes," such as SurfWalkers (R), with durable rubber soles.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Beginner

I'm not DTW either, but I have stayed in Ocho Rios, as well as visiting by cruise ship. If you are planning on doing DRF (trust me, you don't have to be a "gym rat" to climb these falls), White River tubing, and Margaritaville you will have a pretty full day. And a very fun day as well. If you want to interact with the locals a little, I suggest you hire a private driver for the day - I can recommend a good one who can show a little of the real Jamaica during your visit.
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Harbahqueen

Norm & jazzlvr57,

Thank you both for your advice. That is what I was thinking about Jamaica as I was doing my research and reading all the input on the boards. We usually like to "wing it", but going to Jamaica I thought would probably be the better place to hire a driver or do an excursion, and then Margaitaville. We winged it in Cozumel last year and that was fine. I don't want to be somewhere that I have to worry about where I go.

Happy cruising!!!!

Maureen

Carnival Liberty

Grandeur of the Seas 3/06
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Maureen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you both for your advice. That is what I was thinking about Jamaica as I was doing my research and reading all the input on the boards. We usually like to "wing it", but going to Jamaica I thought would probably be the better place to hire a driver or do an excursion, and then Margaitaville. We winged it in Cozumel last year and that was fine. I don't want to be somewhere that I have to worry about where I go.
Jamaica is one place where even hiring your own driver is not a good idea. Most are reputable, but it only takes one who is not reputable to set up a situation that you will regret. The cruise lines vet their tour operators very thoroughly, so you have good assurances that you won't have safety or security issues on the ship's tours.

Norm.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Contact Peat Taylor at onieltay@hotmail.com. We have used him yearly for the past 5 years, safe, reliabl and reasonable He has quite a few ooptions available including DRF and tubing. In April he actually drove from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay and the spend the day with my daughter and I taking us on a tour of that area. I contacted him as I wanted a recommendation from someone I trusted and he said he would drive to take us. This was even on Good Friday and he still came. Wonderful man
You will not go wrong if you contact him
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with juniebugger - go with Peat Taylor. You will be pleased. He is very reputable and very flexible in his tours.
You might have some time constraint issues if you try to do all that you want to do in the short time that you are in Jamaica
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Captain

has anyone spent any time at the new Island shopping and beach thing that they built right by the pier.........it looks like it would be very nice and safe also....got Margaritaville and loads of other things.
Anyone see it ?????
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joie
has anyone spent any time at the new Island shopping and beach thing that they built right by the pier.........it looks like it would be very nice and safe also....got Margaritaville and loads of other things.
Anyone see it ?????
I was there at the end of June. The shopping center is not one that has any type of discounts. You should expect to spend the same amount of money (US dollars) as you would here in the states.

I have been to Ocho Rios twice (land based) and had a wonderful time. In have never felt unsafe at any point in time and I would always leave my resort to go shopping or to a local club at night.

I climbed the falls and it was okay. I did not enjoy it that much because I kept scraping my knees on the rocks. I have also done the the river tubing. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! You will have a great time doing this excursion. You may have a nice time if you end your day at Margaritaville before getting back onboard as the ship docks very close.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Captain

thanks for the input.
I believe we will enjoy it.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
Passenger

I just got back from Ocho Rios and booked Phil Lafayette
www.phil-lafayette-tours.com

AMAZING!!! I was blown away by how professional he was. He went above and beyond for our group and he will customize the tour for you.
He even emailed to see if we got home okay and thank us for the business...alot of people I know could take customer service lessons from him.
And the bonus is half the price of the cruise ship tours. You won't be disappointed!!!