Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default tulum on your own?

hey guys .. me again... Just want to make sure what I have in mind is doable. I want to go to Tulum but the ship excursion are a bit pricey. If i understand well I think I can take a ferry to playa del carmen and then hire a cabbie to take me to the ruins.. am i right?. Anyone has any better ideas?. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

eddieyyz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
hey guys .. me again... Just want to make sure what I have in mind is doable. I want to go to Tulum but the ship excursion are a bit pricey. If i understand well I think I can take a ferry to playa del carmen and then hire a cabbie to take me to the ruins.. am i right?. Anyone has any better ideas?.
Let me say this in the strongest terms possible. DO NOT attempt to go to Tulum on your own during a port of call in San Miguel de Cozumel. The distance involved is considerable, traffic is unpredictable, and the connections can be tight. If the ship's excursion gets delayed, the ship will either wait for its return or make other arrangments (for example, a brief stop in Playa del Carmen) to get the affected passengers back aboard. If you go on your own and you miss the ferry due to traffic, YOU get to pay for airline tickets to the ship's next port of call and lodging and meals until the ship gets there. The ship's agent in San Miguel de Cozumel may make these arrangements for you, but will charge the cost and a service fee to your shipboard account. When you consider this risk, the ship's excursion is a bargain.

Norm.
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

totally 100% agree with Norm on this one, don't try to do it on your own the risks of missing the ship are waay to high
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't try what you're talking about if the trip was free.Too many things that can possibly go wrong to keep you from getting back before the ship sails. And it will sail, whether you're aboard or not.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Captain

I agree with the others about possibly not getting back to the ship on time. There are many variables to doing Tulum on your own from Cozumel.

If you ever dock at Calica, though, you can definitely do Tulum on your own. My husband and I rode the bus ($2.80 each) from Playa del Carmen to Tulum. The bus lets you off right by the entrance to Tulum. It is about a ten minute walk to the entrance, or you can pay $2.00 to ride this little train that they have. We stayed for about an hour and a half. Tulum is beautiful. Be sure to wear a bathing suit under your clothes. They have steps going down to the water, and the scenery is breathtaking!!!

We walked the 10 minutes back to the highway. There was a Servicio Collectivo van waiting there to take people back to Playa del Carmen. It costs us $2.50 each to ride back to Playa. (We could have taken a Servicio Collectivo van to Playa, also, because they go back and forth all day long between the two locations.) That is what we'll probably do next time we go. The Servicio Collectivo van station is about two blocks west of the bus station in Playa del Carmen. They are white vans with a red stripe on the side.

We have also taken the Servicio Collectivo van to Cancun, but that gets a little trickier. My husband speaks fairly good Spanish, which really helps us get around.

Good luck with whatever you do, and have a great time!!!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old November 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Familiar Face

well that prtty much settles it...lol... thanks again.. most appreciated
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, looking at all the posts, well they are quite good. Nevertheless, it should not seem as an impossible thing or very high risk, to visit Tulum by your own. Here is why and why maybe not:
Ferries from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen forth and back are very often, just take notice that there are 2 companies with different schedules and if you ask one, they will only give you their schedule. Then, if from Cozumel, taking a collectivo may be a little time consuming, if you do not speak spanish or know the place, with a taxi you may be better off. Tulum is one hour away from Playa. Take into consideration a 10 min walk to the entrance of the archeological zone if you do not consider taking the little train for approx. $2.00 US. At the entrance there may be a long line, walking from there to the entrance of Tulum takes another 7 min. Once there, take min one hour to walk around and visit the sites, the distances are not that far away, however the place is not very sit-down friendly and since the hurricane, shadow areas are limited. Visiting the beach..BE careful, steps are bad and when wet slippery, beach is not supervised and sometimes there are lots of waves.
Getting back to Playa, no problem, colectivo is cheap, taxis are available. One back, be sure of your ferry time or take a plane for $150.00 US (up to 3 passengers, they have more planes for up to 5 passengers), flight is 15 min, take into account starting time and time from airport Cozumel to your ship (between 10 and 20 minutes) and if your ship is docking or tendering..
For more info, see my profile.

Good luck!!
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

cozumelcruising,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi, looking at all the posts, well they are quite good. Nevertheless, it should not seem as an impossible thing or very high risk, to visit Tulum by your own. Here is why and why maybe not:
Ferries from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen forth and back are very often, just take notice that there are 2 companies with different schedules and if you ask one, they will only give you their schedule. Then, if from Cozumel, taking a collectivo may be a little time consuming, if you do not speak spanish or know the place, with a taxi you may be better off. Tulum is one hour away from Playa. Take into consideration a 10 min walk to the entrance of the archeological zone if you do not consider taking the little train for approx. $2.00 US. At the entrance there may be a long line, walking from there to the entrance of Tulum takes another 7 min. Once there, take min one hour to walk around and visit the sites, the distances are not that far away, however the place is not very sit-down friendly and since the hurricane, shadow areas are limited. Visiting the beach..BE careful, steps are bad and when wet slippery, beach is not supervised and sometimes there are lots of waves.
Getting back to Playa, no problem, colectivo is cheap, taxis are available. One back, be sure of your ferry time or take a plane for $150.00 US (up to 3 passengers, they have more planes for up to 5 passengers), flight is 15 min, take into account starting time and time from airport Cozumel to your ship (between 10 and 20 minutes) and if your ship is docking or tendering..
This might be feasible for somebody who is reasonably familiar with the area and the local transportation, but not for somebody who has never been there before.

Norm.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Also having a guided tour to get the history and facts makes it much more enjoyable and they pass out free Sol on the way back....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Passenger

I'm also with Norm. We just experienced unexpected delays in Belize visiting Xunantunich and was almost 2 hours late to the ship. Had we been on our own we would have been left behind, they only waited because we had booked with them. You pay more but it's worth the security on these longer tours.

Lynn
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Captain

Eddie,

A lot of this depends on how long your ship is docked in Cozumel. If you are docked there 8 hours or more, it is definitely doable.

Good luck and have a great time on your cruise!!!!

Libragirl from Texas 8)
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Beginner

I went to Tulum (fantastic) 2 yrs ago while on a Carnival cruise. The excursion cost about $75 US and included the ferry,RT bus with bag lunch and charming guide, with a 20 min stop at a touristy gift shop on the way. The guide,Juan,() was very knowledgeable and comical and also accompanied us thru Tulum. Door to door service ! I didnt go on a cruise to worry about making connections or "missing the boat". I considered the cost a bargain, including the small gratuity.