Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cayman, Costa Maya and Freeport - Any suggestions?

We are heading to these ports of call July 1 and are wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us?

We have 3 teens traveling with 3 adults and would love to hear what you think. Anything we have to see?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cayman, Costa Maya and Freeport - Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkel22
We are heading to these ports of call July 1 and are wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us?

We have 3 teens traveling with 3 adults and would love to hear what you think. Anything we have to see?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
My first suggestion is to reschedule this cruise between November and April because the weather in the Caribbean in July tends to be oppressively humid and it's during hurricane season.

That said, I have never been to either Freeport or Costa Maya so I can't make recommendations for those destinations. Grand Cayman, however, is one of the best destintations in the Caribbean with several great options for shore excursions.

>> 1. Stingray City consistenty draws raves from those who go there, but there's probably an element of self-selection involved. People who love feeding and petting wild animlas love the facility and people who are turned off by the thought of feeding and petting wild animals generally would not go there.

>> 2. Seven Mile Beach is truly world class, and it's an easy taxi ride from the tender pier. There are also plenty of day clubs where you can rent a locker to store your valuables and obtain use of beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. The resorts along the beach also have plenty of restaurants where you can get lunch and bar service for beverages.

>> 3. The "Sea and See" excursion is an excellent tour of the island's major highlights. this excursion combines a harbor cruise in a so-called "semisubmursible craft" in which you sit in a special compartment below the waterline and look out through windows in the hull at several reefs and the wrecks of the SS Callie and the SS Balboa, all of which are teaming with fish, sea turtles, stingrays, and other marine life, with a land tour that visits Seven Mile Beach (photo stop only), the famous rock formation known as "Hell" (which looks volcanic, but actually is limestone that algae have blackened and honed to razor sharpness), and the world's only sea turtle farm (which actually raises the critters for food, but also is heavily involved in preservation of endangered species).

Finally, George Town's shopping district, located right across the street from the tender pier, offers the best shopping that I have found anywhere in the Caribbean. The merchandise there is of much better quality overall than what I have seen in other ports of call, except for the chains.

And while you are in the shopping district, be sure to stop by the rumcake stand for some free samples. Their coconut rumcake is my personal favortite, but YMMV.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Passenger

I'm assuming you're on a carnival ship?
I just came back from tHE Liberty a week ago and went to those ports!
I didn't do any excursions in the Bahamas so I can't really recommend anything there. I did a swim with the stingrays at the Cayman islands and that was pretty amazing for me and my two friends (16 and 20).

In Costa Maya, we did the dolphin swim at the Delphinus? It was reallly run and the dolphins were amazing to be in the waters with. I'd say that was one of the highlights of the trip. After interacting with the dolphins for 30-45 minutes we went back to shore and had the option to just relax in the beautiful beach, get drinks at the open bar, kayak... I high recommend this place for people of all ages.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
cozumelcruising

Hi, visiting the Chacchobben ruins in Costa Maya is certainly a thing to do, also with younger people it is fun and impressive and at the end just takes 4 hours and leaves time for free beach time in Mahahual town. On the other had there is the SNUBA excursion, which is also a lot of fun for young and elderly! Also a new ATV tour in the Chachobben jungle is recomendable.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just want to send out a big thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

Norm, thank you also for the suggestion on time to travel. We usually sail April (past 3), however this year that was not an option for us. We figured a July 1 sailing is still early enough in the hurricane season that we should be o.k. And as for the heat, that doesn't bother our group so we figured why not. It was either this or no cruise

We have learned so much for everyone here. This site is awesome.

We are looking at doing a Dolphin Encounter in Freeport, looking at a beach day in Grand Cayman and probably another beach day in Costa Maya.

Was wondering if anyone knows of a beach at either Cayman or Costa Maya that would feature jet skis and/or water trampolines? We enjoyed these activities last year in St. Marteen and the kids are asking to do them again.

Again, thanks for the help.

Enjoy and safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
cozumelcruising

Chefkel, in Costa Maya, there is basically just one strip of beach in Mahahual village, where everybody makes their beach break. There is an opportunity to rent Jet Skis there...one recommendation: be CAREFUL with jet skis, vacation is vacation but you are running a machine that does not break fast..there are many accidents, just be careful and hold your distance from other jets or boats.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
cozumelcruising

Chefkel, in Costa Maya, there is basically just one strip of beach in Mahahual village (5 minute taxi ride away), where everybody makes their beach break. There is an opportunity to rent Jet Skis there...one recommendation: be CAREFUL with jet skis, vacation is vacation but you are running a machine that does not break fast..there are many accidents, just be careful and hold your distance from other jets or boats.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Admiral

If you go to my cruise web page annd scroll down to the areas that look like the following, you can see some of the stuff that I've done in two of the three ports.

Costa Maya: Costa Maya Nov 14, 2006 Sept 8, 2006 - Costa Maya (incl Chac-Chi) How to get to Chac-Chi Tours @ the Dock - Costa Maya Dec 26, 2005 - Costa Maya

Grand Cayman: Sep 5, 2006 - Grand Cayman Dec 28, 2005 - Grand Cayman Eden Rock, Grand Cayman

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/zc_cruise_page.htm
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
First Mate

seven mile beach has wave runners to rent, also banana boats and lots of water sports. Fun place