Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Default San Juan, St. Thomas & Antigua

Any suggestions on must do excursion at these ports? We like to try different things and are both in good shape.

In addition, has anyone been lucky enough to try the Canopy Tour that is now being offered in Antigua?

Thanks for any insights offered!
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Admiral

in San Juan - book a tour into the rainforest or just wander around Old San Juan and Fort ElMorro.
St. Thomas - hit the beaches either on St. Thomas proper or over on St. John Island. On St. Thomas my top 2 choices would be Sapphire or Coki Beach/Coral World. If you decided to go over to St. John i would go to Cinnamon Bay Beach.
Go to the beach in the morning and then do some shopping in the afternoon. Another fun thing to do is to take the tram up to Paradise Point - its a short walk from the pier, the view from up their is amazing.
If the tour in Antiqua is 'The Original Canopy Tour" it is a very reputable company, know of a few folks who have done this in Jamaica and had a blast
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Travelor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Any suggestions on must do excursion at these ports? We like to try different things and are both in good shape.
In San Juan, the tour of the Bacardi Distillery is quite interesting. You can stroll the streets of Old San Juan on your own, but I recommend taking the shore excursion if you want to visit El Morro, which is one of two forts built to guard the entrance to the harbor.

In St. Thomas, the Champagne Catamran Sailaway to St. John is one of the best excursions in the Caribbean, if your cruise line offers it. A sailing catamran picks you up at the cruise pier and sets sail for a secluded beach on St. John, where the crew drops the anchor, lowers a ladder into he water, and hands out snorkel gear for those who wish to use it. After a couple hours of swimming, snorkeling, or sunbathing, the crew puts out a spread for lunch on the catamran. There's more time for swimming and snorkeling after lunch before the catamran returns to the cruise ship pier around 3:15. The crew also serves your choice of beverages (champagne, rum punch, beer, sodas, and juices) during the whole excursion. You can then return to the ship in time for tea or do some shopping in the shopping area located next to the cruise ship pier.

In Antigua, be sure to take the shore excursion to Nelson's Dockyard. Lord Nelson built this facility to repair his ships while deployed in the Caribbean to "protect the Queen's interest" in the age of piracy. You'll see the the areas where they repaired the ships as your guide explains the methods ofthe day. Many of the shops are still operational, producing souvenir items, and the bake shop now operates as a bakery.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't know about the canopy tour in Antiqua, but did one in Jamaica a few months ago and it was great. They seem to be in ore ports, must be popular. Its just so exciting and a bit scarey too, but something to do for sure.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Default San Juan, St. Thomas & Antigua

Thanks for the heads up. We were looking into the Bacardi and Old City Tour as an option and glad for the additional information. I think we will purchase that excursion. As for the Champagne Catamran Sailawy to St. John, I have read nothing but good reviews of the tour as well, and will consider this option as well.

Thanks for all the insights and HAPPY SAILING TO ALL