Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Default hurricane season

what do the cruise ships do in case of a hurricane? do the cruise lines give refunds in case of a cancelled trip due to inclement weather? we are thinking about booking a trip in hurricane season but we are not sure of the consequences. pleas enlighten us. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Admiral

jerryb55,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
what do the cruise ships do in case of a hurricane?
They usually go elsewhere.

In this context, "elsewhere" may mean a completely different itinerary from what you booked. A few years ago, a cruise ship that was scheduled to go to Bermuda when a hurricane was taking aim at that destination went to ports of call in Canada's maritime provinces and New England instead.

And "elsewhere" may also mean "at sea" if the cruise line cannot arrange alternative ports of call within the ship's schedule.

If a ship cannot enter its turnaround port (that is, the port where one cruise ends and the next port begins), there are two options.

>> 1. The ship may turn around in a different port.

>> 2. The ship may delay turnaround until she gan get into the scheduled turnaround port.

Of these options, the cruise lines seem to prefer the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
do the cruise lines give refunds in case of a cancelled trip due to inclement weather?
No, because they seldom cancel cruises due to hurricanes. If a ship delays turnaround, the passengers on the shortened cruise usually receive a prorated refund based on the number of nights cancelled to the original scheduled length of the cruise. And if a cruise ship turns around in a diferent port of call, passengers who don't use the cruise line's air trasportation package are responsible for getting to or from the altenate port on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
we are thinking about booking a trip in hurricane season but we are not sure of the consequences. pleas enlighten us.
There's actually a much more compeliing reason NOT to go to the Caribbean at that time of year. The humidity is absolutely miserable -- as they say in the old country, "so thick that you could cut it with a knife." Go to the Caribbean between November and April instead.

Norm.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Cruise ships will alter the route to avoid the hurricane. They will not risk the ship or the safety of the passengers.

I almost always have at least one hurricane season/year. The prices, especially in September are great.

I had two cruises affected by Katrina and cancelled one without penalty and kept one and received a generous on board credit. The airline was also accomodating and let me change my air reservation without charge.
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Passenger

[
And if a cruise ship turns around in a diferent port of call, passengers who don't use the cruise line's air trasportation package are responsible for getting to or from the altenate port on their own.

I don't think so. I think that they have to get you back to your port of embarkation - maybe not by ship. A few years ago we left out of LA and to make a long story short were taken back to San Diego instead of LA.
They had to drive us up to LA. Check the conditions on your ticket.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Admiral

BigMike'nSparky,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Quote:
Originally Posted by I
And if a cruise ship turns around in a diferent port of call, passengers who don't use the cruise line's air trasportation package are responsible for getting to or from the altenate port on their own.
I don't think so. I think that they have to get you back to your port of embarkation - maybe not by ship. A few years ago we left out of LA and to make a long story short were taken back to San Diego instead of LA.
They had to drive us up to LA. Check the conditions on your ticket.
Ah, read your cruise contract carefully. The cruise line may have arranged buses to take you to the port where you were scheduled to debark as a gesture of good will, but probably had no legal obligation to do so under the terms of the Contract of Passage.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

Hi,
We were on the Dawn in August 06. Huuricane Gustov was supposed to pass over the Bahahmas where we were supposed to go. So we got stormed in Bermuda, such a sad day, . Not the worst place we could be stormed in. The cruise line was very sorry, but did it for the safety of us all.

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We cruised out of Tampa in August 2005 going to Mexico. Hurricane Katrina hit and we couldn't get back to Tampa. We debarked in Fort Lauderdale and Carnival bussed everyone back to Tampa. We opted to call the airline and make arrangements to fly home from Ft. Lauderdale. Airline did not charge a fee for this.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Admiral

The ships will avoid the storm and perhaps you will have a cruise to nowhere.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Admiral

I've cruised 3 times in the Caribbean during hurricane season and all was well. Even though storm season runs from June until November 1, August and September are the only times one is most likely to be affected by one.
As far hot and humid..you bet. Plan any shore excursion accordingly.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Thoth,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've cruised 3 times in the Caribbean during hurricane season and all was well. Even though storm season runs from June until November 1, August and September are the only times one is most likely to be affected by one.
Statistically, July and October also are very high risk. June and November are less risky, but still officially considered to be part of hurricane season.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Thoth,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Statistically, July and October also are very high risk. June and November are less risky, but still officially considered to be part of hurricane season.
That's what I said>( or intended to say) Hurricane season starts early and ends late, but August and September are the REALLY bad months here in Mississippi on the Gulf Coast.

/ticker.png">