Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Passenger

Default Excursions in Costa Maya, Costa Rica, Panama

We're taking Carnival Liberty in Feb. to Costa Maya, Mexico; Limon, Costa Rica; and Colon, Panama and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for excursions? We're a 30 year-old couple (no kids) who like to socialize, the beach, drinks, and adventure (somewhere between extreme sports and the "air-conditioned bus" tours). 8)
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursions in Costa Maya, Costa Rica, Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnie
We're taking Carnival Liberty in Feb. to Costa Maya, Mexico; Limon, Costa Rica; and Colon, Panama and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for excursions? We're a 30 year-old couple (no kids) who like to socialize, the beach, drinks, and adventure (somewhere between extreme sports and the "air-conditioned bus" tours). 8)
You can go to carnival's website and not only see but book tours which might interest you. Personally, I enjoyed the Panama Canal tour out of Colon. By the way, in my opinion don't wonder on your own outside the pier's shopping area. Colon is a dangerous place.
In Costa Rica, I did the boat and train adventure which also visited a banana plantation. There was very little to do on your own in Limon. I think I saw one shop within walking distance, so like Colon, I recommend a tour.
But that's just my take !

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
You can go to carnival's website and not only see but book tours which might interest you. Personally, I enjoyed the Panama Canal tour out of Colon. By the way, in my opinion don't wonder on your own outside the pier's shopping area. Colon is a dangerous place.
In Costa Rica, I did the boat and train adventure which also visited a banana plantation. There was very little to do on your own in Limon. I think I saw one shop within walking distance, so like Colon, I recommend a tour.
But that's just my take !
Thanks! I've reviewed Carnival's site for excursions, but sometimes the descriptions are better sounding than the public's experience. Good info on Colon. We'll have to keep that in mind.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnie
Thanks! I've reviewed Carnival's site for excursions, but sometimes the descriptions are better sounding than the public's experience. Good info on Colon. We'll have to keep that in mind.
As far a public experience goes, to each their own. Just because someone else disliked this place or that tour, doesn't mean everyone feels that way. I have received my share of bad advice, only to find out differently. 8)

/ticker.png">
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, for COSTA MAYA I may recommend for example the SNUBA diving beach break (various water tours visit this rather secluded beach and bar with snack available), no diving experience required it is a mix between diving and snorkeling without equippment. Then the ATV eco excursion is a good choice as well, a great landscape mixed with action adventure....jungle horseback riding is nice as well..the bike and kayak tour also a nice combination. Sightseeing....Chacchoben and Kohunlich are certainly very impressive sites to be seen...choice is yours. Saludos from Cozumel!
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
Admiral

In Limon I went to the Sloth sanctuay cause I love animals, I was very disappointed I could not hold a sloth like seen in the photos. This maybe due to liabilty issues with Carnival. It was a short interesting excursion the Sloths were very cute, I don't reccomend eating the fruit they give you wonderful but made me sick (montezuma) If I go back I will go white water rafting my friends did it and loved it!

In Colon I did the Grand Tour with Carnival a nice combination tour.I didn't want to look at the canal all day so they take you to the Gatun lock to see a ship pass, then you get in a boat in the gatun lake (very pretty my favorite part) and go to meet the Umbria Indians who do a dance, and have a Q&A session with the chief, and can purchase hand made crafts. Buy your souveniers here they were the cheapest off all the ports and the money goes to the Indians to maintain their lifestyle.

I haven't been to Costa Maya yet but I will be. I think I will take a tour of the Mayan ruins there.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default TOUR IN LIMON, COSTA RICA

Dear Carnie:

Last month I had a GREAT tour in Limon, Costa Rica aboard the Liberty as well. It is the Golden Bean Coffee Tour, it was a really nice drive over to the site, the tour was great and the coffee was unbelievable. We met the property`s owner who showed us around personally, one of the best tours I have ever taken! Afterwards we had some exquisite fruit at a beautiful hotel (Turire I think...) with great gardens and a spectacular lake!

A must see!

CRUZAN2
Miami, FL
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for the information. We'll look into all of those ideas.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Zenith last month..............

Puerto Limon - Have read that a lot of people are having concerns about being safe in Costa Rica after the recent problem a cruise tour had with muggers.

Cruise Critic group of 11 people from the boards. Eduardo Humphrey was our personal guide and he also had a driver- both of them never left our side. We stopped at the local supermarket on our way back to the ship and they even accompanied us into the market to make certain everything was OK!

If you want to feel safe with a local guide who gives an excellent tour give him a try , he was great and very inexpensive - we paid $45pp for the all day tour. We did a Canal boat tour of Tortuguero (tour boat has a covered top), went to the Del Monte banana plantation and also visited the National Park of Cahuita, with its white sand beaches. He has other tours available too, we selected what our group wanted to so.

www.costaricaindigenoustours.com.

Colon - you will have to take a ship tour - very unsafe. They have a mini-mall at the pier with upscale shops, ok place just to walk around but nothing to do.

Costa Maya - They have also build an area at the pier for cruisers. You can see the ship from their location which is just upscale shops and restaurants. They even have a small swimming pool in the middle - just in case you get hot and don't want to take the 3 minute walk back to the ship! If you want a tour I would suggest taking one from the ship. There is a little town not too far from the pier, you can take one of their taxi cabs from the pier. Old time town with dirt roads. The people are very poor and have just started to see that they can make some money with the tourists. They have shops opening on their main street with small restaurants but I wouldn't recommend eating at any of them! Lots of tables on the street with local crafts for sale - the same thing you see in all the ports. They have a beach but no one was using it during our visit last year.

Have a great cruise!

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Beginner

we just got back from these ports on th ecarnival liberty
it was a great trip
in Costa Rica we used Greenway Tours we had Paul he was great!!!!
he took us on a canal to see sloths and lizardsetc
then we went to zip lining/rain forest(for the nonzipper)
then to a small beach to relax a nd eat get a token gift

Panama we used my friend mario Laurie was our guide
she was awesome
we went to the canal---that was great
then off to the imbera indians
we canoed to a water fall then to their village
right out of national geographics
really great day