Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Beginner

Default suite or balcony

I'm choosing a first time cruise our 25th anniversary. Some difficulty choosing cruiselines, it seems most prefer Royal Caribbean but for the same price as a balcony on RC you can have a suite on the Caribbean Princess or one of the newer Carnival ships. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Familiar Face

We've only been on one cruise so far (planning for ones in 07 and 08!!) We had a verandah suite with balcony on HAL's Maasdam. Even though it was called verandah suite, it may not be what you're referring to as a suite. It was quite spacious for a cruiseship stateroom though.

We absolutely loved having a balcony--it was one of the greatest parts of the entire trip. It was so fabulous to order room service breakfast (included) and have someone bring a delicious breakfast to us as we lay in lougechairs on our balcony, wearing the comfy bathrobes provided, watching the sun come up over the ocean and islands. It was surreal.

I'd choose balcony over suite, undoubtedly.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default Congrats Have fun

From my experience I have not been in a suite before but have had a balcony before and they are awesome but the suite I dont believe you would be in it much to enjoy. there is soo much more to do on the ship than to sit in your room. I have been on the Carribean Princess and had the time of my life. the ship is aboustly BEAUTIFUL. Just thought I would put my input in for you. Have a great time.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
First Mate

25 years YOU DESERVE a suite. Congrats. But make sure your suite has a balcony. I did notice one of the Rccl suites doesn not have a balcony so in that case take a Jr suite with a balcony. Enjoy!! My priority is the balcony... cabin size is second. Breakfast on the balcony is a must.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Carnival!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Passenger

I don't know your lifestyle or what you expect, but Royal Carribean or Princess are nicer , in my opinion. Also, get the balcony. Save your $$ for excursions. It's true, you are not in the room long enough to hang out in your room. I've been on 7 cruises, and only once did we have a balcony room. And when we did have the balcony, our neighbors were a paper-thin little partition away! I have a friend who cruises way nore than we do, and they have never spent the money for anything more than an inside room. I prefer to see out of a window, but they said they sleep better in an inside room. Feel less ship movement.
If you really want to go first class, I recommend a Crystal cruise. We've done one and there is a huge difference in Crystal and the rest of the mainstream lines, including Celebrity. But if this is your first cruise and you go on Crystal, you will be comparing all of your future cruises to them and wishing you were back on board a Crystal ship.
By the way, I've been married 31 years and am in my 50's. We love to do water and land activities while on cruises, such as snorkeling and hiking.
Whatever you choose to do, have fun, but I'd save my $$ for excursions.
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: suite or balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradt1
I'm choosing a first time cruise our 25th anniversary. Some difficulty choosing cruiselines, it seems most prefer Royal Caribbean but for the same price as a balcony on RC you can have a suite on the Caribbean Princess or one of the newer Carnival ships. Any help would be appreciated
I would review the cruise line overviews provided with this site. This will give you an idea of what to expect and the style of each line. Since it is your 25th anniversary, I would get something nice - even if it is more money.

I have never booked a suite booking balcony cabins instead. My gut suggests that there isn't all that much difference between the low-end suites and the balcony cabins. To get something really unique you need to book something like a royal suite. For us, this is just too much money. For you ???

I might consider Celebrity as a possible choice for your trip. My understanding is that the line is very good value and a bit more quiet for your anniversary trip than RCI or Carnival.

Be careful what ever you do as you'll likely get hooked and want to go again!
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Admiral

My personal preference would be to Princess for a 25th wedding anniversary celebration cruise.
A mini-suite on the Caribbean Princess is very nice, you get more living space in a mini-suite over a regular cabin. The mini suites have a bathtub as opposed to just a shower, the closet space is larger also, and you get a nice sitting area in the living room space. Definately get a balcony.