Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default August honeymoon--help!

My daughter is getting married August 10. She has asked me to check into cruises for her honeymoon, starting August 11 or 12. The question I have is where? I know they would like the carribean atmosphere, but I think it would be too hot. Alaska is an option, but they could not afford the land package and I hear that makes the cruise. I know nothing of Bermuda, what would the atmosphere and the weahter be like? Any ideas or suggestions would be so apprecicated!
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I personally don't think the Caribbean in Aug would be too hot. The temps don't vary by more than 15 degrees year round (on average). They'd just have to deal with higher humidity.

I'd always opt for too warm, over too cold
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Admiral

Yes, do the Carribbean one. I think it would be more romantic.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: August honeymoon--help!

Debbie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My daughter is getting married August 10. She has asked me to check into cruises for her honeymoon, starting August 11 or 12. The question I have is where? I know they would like the carribean atmosphere, but I think it would be too hot.
Well, splitting hairs, the heat is not the problem. Rather, it's the humidity. Typical temperatures tend to be in the upper 80's to lower 90's. Unfortuantely, the humidity tends to be above 95% at that time of year, making the air so thick that you can cut it with a knife. It's also the height of hurricane season, so the odds of a deviation from the planned itinerary are quite high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Alaska is an option, but they could not afford the land package and I hear that makes the cruise.
I don't know who handed you that load of bunk, but any cruise to Alaska is fantastic even without the land tour! The scenery in Alaska's inside passage is absolutely magnificent, and there's more diversity of attractions and activities than at any other cruise destination in the world.

I don't recommend the cruise-tour packages offered by any of the major cruise lines because the land tour portions are very expensive. If one has time to go into the interior, it's better to rent a car at Anchorage International Airport and make indpendent arrangements beyond there. I do, however, stronbly recommend reserving hotels in advance, as the summer is Alaska's peak tourist season when accommodations tend to be quite full. Alaska's roads are in very good condition, so it's quite easy to get around. Just remember that destinations are considerably further apart than in much of the rest of the United States, so be sure to start out with a full tank of gasoline and allow appropriate time to reach your next destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I know nothing of Bermuda, what would the atmosphere and the weahter be like? Any ideas or suggestions would be so apprecicated!
I have not been to Bermuda, but I have heard that it is wonderful. Nonetheless, the Atlantic can be rough -- especially if there's a hurricane in the vicinity. Also, there's some risk that the cruise could go to Canada and New England instead if a hurricane is bearing down on the crown colony.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Another option....7 days cruises around Hawaii out of Honolulu on NCL! Weather is perfect.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302