CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Grand Cayman - Where to buy rum cakes. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/328441-grand-cayman-where-buy-rum-cakes.html)

adias.angel February 20th, 2007 12:15 PM

Grand Cayman - Where to buy rum cakes.

After reading over and over that these run cakes are a must have. Is there somewhere near the port that I can buy them and maybe taste them? Are there different brands? Thanks, Carla ;)

lulu48 February 20th, 2007 03:14 PM

You can buy them at stores near the dock...all have samples to taste.
They are the same price everywhere so no need to shop around unless they are out of the flavour you want.

Rev22:17 February 20th, 2007 09:23 PM

Carla,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
After reading over and over that these run cakes are a must have. Is there somewhere near the port that I can buy them and maybe taste them? Are there different brands?

There's one main brand on Grand Cayman. They have a stand in George Town's main shopping area, which is directly across the main road from the tender pier. IIRC, the rum cake stand is about 1/2 block to the north of the tender pier, set back about ten or twenty feet from the street. Just ask anybody to point you toward it.

Norm.

drew sailbum February 21st, 2007 09:04 AM

There are two major brands: Tortuga Rum Cakes or Blackbeard's.

There is a Tortuga Rum Cakes shop adjacent to the north terminal, immediately to the north of teh terminal on the sea side of the road.

There is a large selection of Blackbeard's offerings in a shop in the lower level of the Aquaworld Mall. That's about a block south of the south terminal, just past the Hard Rock Cafe and in the same building as the Harley Davidson store.

adias.angel February 21st, 2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew sailbum
There are two major brands: Tortuga Rum Cakes or Blackbeard's.

So which one is better? Tortuga seems to be the one I see talked about the most. Carla ;)

Donna February 21st, 2007 12:29 PM

I've only seen Toruga rum cakes, and they are good....They sell them all around town, closest one is right across the street from the pier, they will even send them back to the ship for you.

pudgy February 21st, 2007 05:56 PM

Hello

You can buy them on the ship also I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) that were not too much more.

drew sailbum February 22nd, 2007 06:07 PM

Which is better?

Well, try for yourself. Most shops set out samples so you can taste test the multiple varieties. There are original, chocolate, banana, and coconut flavors from each brand. Then each brand also has one ot two unique flavors. It is possible to buy a sampler pack that has 6 small rum cakes of various flavors.

Tortuga Rum Cakes tend to be a bit more expensive and are more widely distributed. Several cruise lines sell Tortuga Rum cakes onboard.

In September 2004 Cayman was heavily damaged by a category 5 hurricane. Tortuga Rum Cake Company used their Miami warehouse and their expertise in international shipping to facility staging and transport of relief and rebuilding supplies. Their good corporate citizenship won a lot of respect in the local community.

Blackbeards, as a smaller company, just didn't have the resources in place to do such a thing at that time, but they are a well regarded company in their own right.

BTW, did you know that Rum Cakes are the #1 export good of the Cayman Islands?

mehawk February 23rd, 2007 06:06 AM

At the stores :D

adias.angel February 23rd, 2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
At the stores :D

*grin* Boy I have to watch out for this guy. Just got all the answer don't you? ;)

traveling addict February 23rd, 2007 11:02 PM

I know Tortuga is the most popular but I liked blackbeard best. I bought a variey of mini cakes and gave one of each brand to friends and family for souveniers. They went over way better than T-shirts!

;o)

Luanne Russo February 24th, 2007 08:25 PM

You can also order them on line. I sent one all the way to Iraq for hubby. They are out of this world.

Luanne

adias.angel February 27th, 2007 01:35 PM

One more question. I was told to bargain, bargain, bargainwhen shopping at tourist places.

Does that also include when I'm buying the Tortuga rum cakes at the Tortuga bakery across from the pier? I would like to get a few of these cakes to take home, so do they do any kind of discounts for quantity? Thanks, Carla ;)

Nicnme February 27th, 2007 01:47 PM

I found the cheapest way to purchase is a variety pack. The cakes are smaller but then you have a 6 pack to give as gifts. Chocolate is the best! You can't beat the factory tour, you can taste the cakes still warm from the ovens. :-P

drew sailbum March 1st, 2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adias.angel
One more question. I was told to bargain, bargain, bargainwhen shopping at tourist places.

Does that also include when I'm buying the Tortuga rum cakes at the Tortuga bakery across from the pier? I would like to get a few of these cakes to take home, so do they do any kind of discounts for quantity? Thanks, Carla ;)

I believe they offer discounts on case quantities. There is probably a sign stating the price or you can ask. In Cayman, the price you are quoted or see on the shelf is the price.

Cayman is not a location where prices are negotiated. I have seen it tried everywhere - at tourist shops and even at Burger King. Neither t-shirt nor cheeseburger prices are negotiable.