CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Difference in glass bottom boat and semi sub? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/329543-difference-glass-bottom-boat-semi-sub.html)

kingoftheicedragons March 9th, 2007 06:57 AM

Difference in glass bottom boat and semi sub?
 
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a glass bottom boat and a semi sub? We are looking at Naussa Bahamas and the cruise offers glass bottom boat excurions, and I found an independent operator, sea world tours, that offers semi subs.

Rev22:17 March 9th, 2007 08:39 AM

kingoftheicedragons,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a glass bottom boat and a semi sub? We are looking at Naussa Bahamas and the cruise offers glass bottom boat excurions, and I found an independent operator, sea world tours, that offers semi subs.

Yes.

>> A glass bottom boat is just what the name implies -- a boat of shallow draft with a pane of glass in its (flat) bottom through which you can look to see fish and other marine life. You are seated above the waterline. Expect to feel a lot of motion if you encounter moderate seas. Most glass bottom boats do have canopies over the whole passenger area and interior gunwhales around the glass bottom configured so that sunlight cannot strike the glass. Nonetheless, bright daylight conditions can affect visibility. You probably won't be able to see the bottom in a glass bottom boat.

>> A "semisubmersible craft" is a much larger vessel with a deep hull and a passenger compartment below the waterline where passengers sit two by two and look out through windows in both sides of the hull. The deep draft allows these vessels to handle moderate seas very well. The vessel does not actually submerge, but there's very little external light in the hull compartment so the view of the marine life is excellent. In shallower areas, you'll be able to see the bottom, including reefs, wrecks, and discarded tires that serve as marine habitat.

Of the two, I would opt for the semisubersible craft unless you have moderately severe caustrophobia.

Norm.

cozumelcruising March 11th, 2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
kingoftheicedragons,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a glass bottom boat and a semi sub? We are looking at Naussa Bahamas and the cruise offers glass bottom boat excurions, and I found an independent operator, sea world tours, that offers semi subs.

Yes.

>> A glass bottom boat is just what the name implies -- a boat of shallow draf with a pane of glass in its (flat) bottom through which you can look to see fish and other marine life. You are seated above the waterline. Expect to feel a lot of motion if you encounter moderate seas. Most glass bottom boats do have canopies over the whole passenger area and interior gunwhales around the glass bottom configured so that sunlight cannot strike the glass. Nonetheless, bright daylight conditions can affect visibility. You probably won't be able to see the bottom in a glass bottom boat.

>> A "semisubmersible craft" is a much larger vessel with a deep hull and a passenger compartment below the waterline where passengers sit two by two and look out through windows in both sides of the hull. The deep draft allows these vessels to handle moderate seas very well. The vessel does not actually submerge, but there's very little external light in the hull compartment so the view of the marine life is excellent. In shallower areas, you'll be able to see the bottom, including reefs, wrecks, and discarded tires that serve as marine habitat.

Of the two, I would opt for the semisubersible craft unless you have moderately severe caustrophobia.

Norm.

Perfect answer...could not be better,,,,also try these services in Cozumel, greatly worth it!

kingoftheicedragons March 12th, 2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Perfect answer...could not be better,,,,also try these services in Cozumel, greatly worth it!

I definitely would if we were going to Cozumel. Gotta save something for next time :D

When we got back from our last cruise and DW was in her postcruise blues and talking about the "next" cruise, she mentioned the semisubs that we saw advertised. Unfortunately, since we had prebooked all our excusions independently and had things to do in all the ports, we didn't have the opportunity to do this. We had gone snorkeling to try to see some marine life, but she isn't a good swimmer and was too afraid to get into the deep water, so this is the way she thought she would be able to see the fish better.

sptrout March 12th, 2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
kingoftheicedragons,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a glass bottom boat and a semi sub? We are looking at Naussa Bahamas and the cruise offers glass bottom boat excurions, and I found an independent operator, sea world tours, that offers semi subs.

Yes.

>> A glass bottom boat is just what the name implies -- a boat of shallow draf with a pane of glass in its (flat) bottom through which you can look to see fish and other marine life. You are seated above the waterline. Expect to feel a lot of motion if you encounter moderate seas. Most glass bottom boats do have canopies over the whole passenger area and interior gunwhales around the glass bottom configured so that sunlight cannot strike the glass. Nonetheless, bright daylight conditions can affect visibility. You probably won't be able to see the bottom in a glass bottom boat.

>> A "semisubmersible craft" is a much larger vessel with a deep hull and a passenger compartment below the waterline where passengers sit two by two and look out through windows in both sides of the hull. The deep draft allows these vessels to handle moderate seas very well. The vessel does not actually submerge, but there's very little external light in the hull compartment so the view of the marine life is excellent. In shallower areas, you'll be able to see the bottom, including reefs, wrecks, and discarded tires that serve as marine habitat.

Of the two, I would opt for the semisubersible craft unless you have moderately severe caustrophobia.

Norm.

Excellent reply Norm! I would add that it you are prone to seasickness that you may want to avoid a semisubmersible boat. Between that and the possibility of caustrophobia, it can get uncomfortable. The last time we tried a semisubmersible it was also warm to very stuffy in the boat, so we have decided not to do this type of tour again. But, it can be great if you do not have the potential problems I just mentioned.

Thoth March 13th, 2007 02:07 AM

Definitely the semi-sub is much better! done both, no contest ! :idea:

cozumelcruising March 16th, 2007 06:06 PM

Most of the people in the Semi Sub are ok, there are lots of windows and also air conditioner (Cozumel) and there is a space outside on the top of the boat with shade to "relax" if there is an issue. Normally, they are more stable than boats but one gets more aware of it. It is a great tour, Cozumel has crystal clear water and it is worth it...can also be combined with a Cozumel Highlights tour...called sea and see..also offered independantly. Good luck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1