Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Beginner

Default Chacchoban vs. Altun ha / River Wallace

Will be traveling with my parents (70's) and my 13y/o. We want to see ruins and I love viewing wildlife. I have read bad reviews of the river wallace trip (very hot, no shade, overcrowded, etc) Any comments or reviews of either would be appreciated. Thank you and happy cruising!
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Passenger

My wife and I did the Chacchoben ruins when we were in Costa Maya. We really loved that one. There is some climbing involved for part of it, but some of the site is accessible without climbing. If you do decide to do this one, I would recommend going through the Native choice tour company and not the ship's excursion. I think we got more history, culture, and background of the mayan civilization and mexican culture and life by going through them than the people on the ship excursion got.

I have not heard about the river wallace trip, so I can't comment on that.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM
cozumelcruising

The Chacchobben Ruins tour in Costa Maya (Mahahual) is certainly one of the most recommendable Mayan ruins tours in the entire Riviera Maya, especially also in regards to elderly or quite young people. It only takes about 4 hours and only one hour transportation (one way)..2 hours will be spent exploring the ruins, which is also acceptable, not too long and not rushed neither. Also the environment provides more shade than on other ruins which is also a plus. Chacchobben is really recommendable! Good luck
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
First Mate

Our ship's excursion to Chaccoben was excellent. Has a nice ride in an AC bus . Our guide was an anthropologist & very knowledgeable about everything. The ruins were accessible (if you don't want to climb) and give a great perspective--- Great photo ops--I'd post some but don' know how. The store there is not that great--many items made elsewhere & no postcards...there is good ice cream & other small snacks. I do not know abt the other places mentioned. We left early--almost the first ones of the ship & arrived back in time to enjoy the CM port area & a nice lunch!
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for the replies. I can't wait! Annie
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
First Mate

another lost post?
I was able to post some pics of the ruins on the photo gallery board under Jewel 6 day if you are interested