Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Default Eastbound or Westbound Panama Canal Cruise?

I've seen discussions on whether to take the full transit or partial transit, and it seems more people prefer the full transit.

But is westbound or eastbound better? Or is there no difference?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,772
Default Re: Eastbound or Westbound Panama Canal Cruise?

bluepanda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've seen discussions on whether to take the full transit or partial transit, and it seems more people prefer the full transit.

But is westbound or eastbound better? Or is there no difference?
Yes, there are differences between eastbound and westbound because you see things from different perspectives, but neither direction is "better than" the other. It's worth doing cruises in both directions at some point in your cruising career.

Right now, Celebrity seems to have about the best "Panama Canal" itineraries that I have seen, with fourteen night cruises that operate one way between Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) to either Los Angeles or San Diego. These cruises have ports of call every two or three days, so you get a reasonable number of days at sea, but not consecutively, over the course of the cruise. I have not looked, but Royal Caribbean probably has a similar itinerary. Princess did a similar itinerary for a while, but seem to have reverted to Acapulco as a Pacific terminus this year to cut the itinerary to ten nights. I'm not sure what the other major lines are offering.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Palmer, Massachusetts
Posts: 12,717
Default

a full canal transit is definately the way to go. We did what is called the southern route San Juan Puerto Rico to Acapulco, Mexico. We hit great ports of call.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM
dlm2005's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 284
Default

It may depend where home is. I'd rather end up in my own time zone when its time to fly home.
__________________



April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
lulu48's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 560
Default

A full transit for sure
Direction ..I didn't notice any difference
We did 16 day on Cceania with 1/2 of the days in port.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Default

It appears there's also a season, or two, rather - Fall (Sep-Nov) and Spring (Feb-Apr) - for the full transit on the mainstream lines, compared with higher frequencies, probably year round, for the roundtrip Ft Lauderdale (partial transit).

Any recommendations on which season is better? Whether it's weather (pardon the pun), or whatever?

I'm concerned about the hurricane season.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
mehawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston aka Space City, Texas, USA
Posts: 9,674
Default

Tongue in cheek here, but it seems like if you were to go to different sides of the ship during the crossing, then you would see both sides.
__________________
Michael

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,772
Default

bluepanda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It appears there's also a season, or two, rather - Fall (Sep-Nov) and Spring (Feb-Apr) - for the full transit on the mainstream lines, compared with higher frequencies, probably year round, for the roundtrip Ft Lauderdale (partial transit).

Any recommendations on which season is better? Whether it's weather (pardon the pun), or whatever?

I'm concerned about the hurricane season.
There's a slew of full transits in September and April when ships reposition between Alaska and the Caribbean. Nonetheless, many of the lines also have a ship doing full transits all winter, though sometimes interspersed with other itineraries such as Hawai'i round trip from the Left Coast (also a great cruise, BTW).

The season really does not matter all that much. Hurricanes could disrupt a port of call in the fall, but they are less of a factor than on Caribbean itineraries because the ships on Panama Canal transits spend less time in the Caribbean.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you all for your replies and advices. I've been quiet for a while because I was doing some research for the full transit cruise.

I came to know of a steal - 14N Full Transit on 7 Dec 2007 from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles on board Celebrity Summit in a balcony cabin at $1,999. Most full transit cruises of similar itineraries (and in balcony cabins) go for more than $2,500.

But also because it seems to be pretty good value, I wonder what's the catch. Call me paranoid, but I believe there's no free lunch in this world. I think cruise lines would price their cruises according to what they expect demand to be. So is it because it's not a good time to travel (in Panama, Florida or LA) in Dec?

The last I checked the Celebrity website, balcony cabins are still available. So I guess after my post, it will be snapped up pretty soon, and people like me who procrastinate won't be able to get the deal. But I guess it's my way of contributing to the cruising community for the vast amount of information I get from this (and other) forum.

I would like to get views on this specific itinerary.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,772
Default

bluepanda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you all for your replies and advices. I've been quiet for a while because I was doing some research for the full transit cruise.

I came to know of a steal - 14N Full Transit on 7 Dec 2007 from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles on board Celebrity Summit in a balcony cabin at $1,999. Most full transit cruises of similar itineraries (and in balcony cabins) go for more than $2,500.

But also because it seems to be pretty good value, I wonder what's the catch. Call me paranoid, but I believe there's no free lunch in this world. I think cruise lines would price their cruises according to what they expect demand to be. So is it because it's not a good time to travel (in Panama, Florida or LA) in Dec?

The last I checked the Celebrity website, balcony cabins are still available. So I guess after my post, it will be snapped up pretty soon, and people like me who procrastinate won't be able to get the deal. But I guess it's my way of contributing to the cruising community for the vast amount of information I get from this (and other) forum.

I would like to get views on this specific itinerary.
The only "catch" is that the dates put it at a time of year when many people are not available to go on cruises and many others choose not to go on cruises because they anticipate being very busy with preparations for the upcoming holidays. As a result, nearly all itineraries in the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas tend to be less expensive than at other times of year. Basically, the cruise lines lower their prices in order to attract passengers to those cruises.

BTW, a ship that's not crowded often translates into better service....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
angeles, canal, crossing, cruise, difference, eastbond, eastbound, full, it, los, pamana, panama, round, taking, trip, westbound, worth

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Azamara Panama eastbound cruise - excursions TVZ Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 December 23rd, 2007 11:59 AM
Panama Canal westbound on Infinity PapaBear Celebrity 1 June 5th, 2007 06:46 PM
16 Night Panama Canal Westbound Cruise from Galveston, TX texaspatty Seeking Cruise Companion 3 April 20th, 2007 02:37 PM
INFINITY- Westbound full Panama transit sealegs Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 November 7th, 2005 01:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1