Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Default Review on Cave Tubing in Belize

I found this post on cave tubing in Belize, and it's worth copying here, as the contributor reflects my feelings in a batter way than I could write them:

Day 3: 2006 Mother/Daughter Cruise
This Place was Great; guides were the very best.
We had a super day in Belize! We went on a private excursion through Major Tom Greenwood's company. We were met at the pier by our guide - a totally dapper, charming, native Belizean who'd traveled all over. He drove us in an air conditioned van to the site and introduced us to our cave guide. We got our gear and off we went for a nice, non-strenuous hike through the rainforest. Finally, we came to the cave entrance and into the water we went! Mom was a real trooper, overcoming her serious water fears and hanging in there throughout the day! After the ride through the caves and down the river (bottoms up!), we had a leisurely stroll back to the site. Once there, we were treated to a traditional Belizean BBQ lunch - yum! A super day overall!!! Find this great company at GREENWOOD ADVENTURES BELIZE (info@belizecavetubing.net)

NOTE: I used a disposable water proof camera that day and have yet to get the film processed and put on disk. I will post pics once I do that.
This entry is part of the trip itinerary 2006 Mother/Daughter Cruise
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Passenger

warbler,
did you also use tom greenwood for the cave tubing??
can you add some thoughts on his company.
There are so many choices out there we are nto sure who to book with.

Thanks,
Mitch.....
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing with Greenwood Adventures Belize

Cave Tubing at the park was apparently started by Major Tom as he is called, in 1992, and he and his guides do the cave tubing along with vast information about the rainforest, the Maya who occupied the area, and religious significance of the caves, exploration of a fabulous "crystal chamber" and detailed information about the entire inner caves during the float. He also arranges the zipline as a combination tour. I am sure you will not be disappointed. He also has a hilarious "suggestion list" for cave tubing. Once you e-mail an enquiry from the company, you get the list. I just about died laughing - and he ends his post on that special note!!! Fun guy, Tom.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Passenger

warbler,
thanks for the info.
I might just send him an email right now.
Mitch....
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Somebody asked for the "funny list" from Major Tom's Greenwood Adventures Belize, so here it is : hope it fits, because it is LOOOONNG (sorry CruiseMates). But my wife nearly fell off her chair reading this one as she cracked up laughing madly. I think it is funny.

TWENTY ONE GREAT (some funny, we hope) IDEAS FOR OUR GUESTS :

1. Bring along a complete change of clothes, towel and footwear. You’ll wet the first set, for goodness sakes. You are in a river. You know – WATER!!
2. Bring along water shoes or secure sandals and a waterproof camera with flash.
3. You can cave tube with bath suits, or shorts/shirt/blouse, and a hat if you wish, but please wear something – the police frown on nude persons. Or just ogle mostly.
4. If you must wear prescription glasses or sunshades, ensure they are secured on your head. We sell you small pieces of string for $7,200 US dollars. Besides all the fish in the river are tired of wearing glasses and sunshades. Makes them look silly.
5. If you take professional camera equipment, bring along a "dry bag". Please don’t burst into tears if you drop your camera into the river. We’ll dive it up later and keep it. Chinese auction anyone?? Make sure it’s new and has fresh batteries.
6. Bring fly repellant and sun block - not always needed, but best to have. If you have golden brown skin like me, and are handsome as well, (I am Maya Yucatec), you won’t need anything. Well, almost – I ALWAYS need something. Greedy.
7. No need for snorkeling equipment, although some guests like taking a snorkeling mask just to have fun with at the cave's entrance and downriver in the open. Nice, but small, fish life and beautiful bottom scenery. No fishing, please. And NO, we DO NOT HAVE the Loch Ness monster – the Russians took it !! Probably ate it.
8. For small children, some guests like to bring along their own personal, form fitting life vests - these are welcome, but we do also have as well. Or just blow up a nice large balloon and hand it to them – the little darlings will float beautifully with those, until they pop. No giggling, please. Some of those kids punch hard. Or Mom or Dad will knock your lights out. Lots of nice, handy, large river granite rocks.
9. Video cameras (with flash) - yes, but use a dry bag. Didn’t I say that up top?
10. If you cannot swim, indicate this - we ensure we have extra safety staff. We take and continue to take, swimmers as well as non-swimmers. Swallowing water is strictly forbidden. Does not taste good anyway. Swallowing Belize’s top beer, Belikin Beer – now that works. Or Lighthouse Lager, or Brown Stout. Or Cashew Wine !!!
11. Handicapped, but can walk, please indicate, and we will apply extra staff. We are delighted to take our valued handicapped guests and apply all factors to ensure their happiness and total safety. Many handicapped guests have taken our tours.
12. If you have your personal lighting gear, you can bring it along, but we do have as well. If you bring one, we’ll buy it off you!!! Pay you in US cash or Russian rubles!!! Or a promissory note. Written on tree bark from our poisonwood tree.
13. All that is not taken on the actual rainforest trail and cave float is left locked and secured in the van, with guards. There are security wardens and police at the park.
14. Jewelry and cash can be left with security staff, and fully accounted for. Our advice - leave jewelry on the ship, where it is usually properly secured. Our lunatic guards carry 105 mm Howitzer anti tank cannons – they will fire at anyone who walks within 60 feet of the locked vehicles. Kidding? They shoot at birds if they fly too close. Now that’s guarding taken seriously. Losses so far – NIL. Hah!!!
15. Referrals - guests often bring others with them from onboard - we accept those last minute additions, as we have extra staff and vehicles – COME ON DOWN !!!
16. At tour's end, when we take you back to the dock in good time to shop and then take your tender back on board, ensure you have all your belongings with you.
17. The park has a large bathroom system complete with washbasins, showers, and changing rooms. Bring your own soap, please. Don’t use the park astringents!!!!! They’ll take off your skin and make you look like a peeled Belizean banana.
18. Vans have first aid kits for your comfort. Including toothpicks if you forgot to brush your teeth that morning. If that’s the case, try not to smile widely.
19. Any special questions you may have, please do not hesitate to ask in your "comments" section of the reservation form. No extra charge!!! We’ll just introduce you to a special rainforest tree that moves when you go near it. Lots and lots of fun.
20. The cave tubing park has gift shops with a wide variety of handicraft items, at good competitive prices - and they will gladly bargain!! You won’t win, but it is lots of fun arguing!!! In fact you’ll probably take a thrashing.
21. Lunch can be purchased (if required) at a roadside restaurant either "CHEERS, with a Tropical Twist" or “AMIGOS?. (Both providing excellent Belizean cuisine), especially the famous “rice and beans and stewed chicken? – drool, drool, slurp. Cole slaw. Habanero pepper (yoicks!!). Cold beers, soft drinks, juices. Watch that Habanero Pepper – makes long hairs grow suddenly out of your nose!! Or causes severe snorting, red faces, sweat pouring down on to your table, into your food and the food of the guy next to you. Woh Ho Ho, NELLIE !!! Among our many famous guests who ate our red and yellow Habanero peppers :

1. Fuchia “Red Face? Explosion
2. Sweaty “Tongue on Fire? Canasta
3. Hairy Nose “did not know it was so hot? Heatwave
4. Harry “Brain Damage? Eruption
5. Seesaw “the sudden nose drip? Eyepopper
6. Timmy “Turned Preacher? Humble Pie
7. Braggart “Drank Sixteen Cokes? Howling
8. Dolly “Ate the whole sugar bowl? Screaming Meemie- punched out the guide
9. Curious “Massive Heart Attack? Stroke (Australian)

Those who boasted they could handle the Habanero pepper : all 9
Those who survived from the above 9 : The first 8 only.

Number nine asked us to tan his hide if he died,
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde,
And that’s it hanging on the shed. (courtesy of our Australian guests)
Goodbye ceremony at the dock started with “Waltzing Matilda?

If you decide to die laughing at the above, please wait until you have come to Belize, taken our fantastic tour that’s a million times better than anyone else’s and HAVE PAID US. If you do NOT think the above is the least bit funny, so I am not a comedian, otherwise I would be in politics and gouging you out of all your money and natural resources. Come to Belize….Mother Nature’s Best Kept Secret - courtesy of the FUN TEAM
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Default Cave tubing

Fun- but it's FREEZING COLD WATER and there are snakes too.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cave tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebaby1
Fun- but it's FREEZING COLD WATER and there are snakes too.
We disagree on that one - water's about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. What snakes? 102,000 guests went thru the caves and rainforest in the 2005/06 season, according to tourism and cruise statistics; no incidents, no snakes, absolutely marvelous cool water, especially after a warm rainforest hike. Belize is tropical - the only freezing cold water you will experience is from a refrigerator or cooler - and those usually have beer and food !!!!
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

xD The list is so funny!
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Sounds interesting.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the great info. Does anyone have any photos? I'd love to see some as we plan our cave tubing/zip lining trip in July. Thanks!

Tricia
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwihotchocolate
Thanks for the great info. Does anyone have any photos? I'd love to see some as we plan our cave tubing/zip lining trip in July. Thanks!

Tricia
Hey "kiwihotchocolate" (luv that name!!! Why don't you give Major Tom a buzz at info@belizecavetubing.net and ask him for photos - I am sure he'll send you a bunch