Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya

Our cruise ship will be visiting Costa Maya for a day in September and I would like to know what is there to do?
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is a shopping area with a big pool/bar by the pier, certainly not enough to do there for the day. I'd suggest doing some kind of excursion there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Shopping
Snorkeling
Horseback riding
ATV rides
two different Mayan ruins
Enjoying the beach at Majahual

There was one tour company at least within the shopping center that was trying to sell tickets for parasailing, though I'm not sure how far away from the pier that was as we didn't do it.

Plus I'm sure lots more to do depending on what you like doing.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Passenger

If you walk to the back of the shopping area at the pier, you'll find a ticket counter where you can pay $3 per person for a van/bus ride into the fishing village of Majahual. In Majahual you'll find a number of little restaurants and bars right on the beach with inexpensive prices. Many of them offer free use of lounge charis, paddle boats, kayaking, and snorkeling if you buy their food and drinks. You can also get a massage right on the beach, rent waverunners or go parasailing for a charge. The return trip to the pier is $2 per person. It's a wonderful port to go off and do something on your own instead of through the cruise line.
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Beginner

Default Majahual

I would definitely go to Majahual. There is really nothing to do in Costa Maya. It's one of those "Cruise built" ports. I have been there twice (the second time because they swithed our itinerary, I was ticked!!!) and the second time we went to Majahual. Very cute place and the shopping is cheaper... so are the snorkeling tours, etc. Have fun!
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

We rented a gold cart (right outside the cruiseline made "village") and drove around a bit and then to Majahual. It was a really cool village, with cheap food and drinks and a LOVELY view.

Very low key and laid back. It was one of our most favorite ports.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Passenger

We were wanting to visit the elementary school there to bring supplies. Does anyone know when the Costa Maya schools are closed for summer break?
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Captain

we went to the maya ruins at chacchoben our travel agent said these are best one to go too
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida322
We were wanting to visit the elementary school there to bring supplies. Does anyone know when the Costa Maya schools are closed for summer break?
What a wonderful idea. I'm not sure about the schedule or how to find that information, but there is the BEST beach, directly across from the school. That is where we spent out day!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by As You Wish
If you walk to the back of the shopping area at the pier, you'll find a ticket counter where you can pay $3 per person for a van/bus ride into the fishing village of Majahual. In Majahual you'll find a number of little restaurants and bars right on the beach with inexpensive prices. Many of them offer free use of lounge charis, paddle boats, kayaking, and snorkeling if you buy their food and drinks. You can also get a massage right on the beach, rent waverunners or go parasailing for a charge. The return trip to the pier is $2 per person. It's a wonderful port to go off and do something on your own instead of through the cruise line.

I also suggest these ideas. The beach there is very very nice.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
First Mate

The ship's excursion to Chacchoben was outstanding & still leaves time for the port area or visit to the village.