Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default Dunn River Falls climb questions

My wife has a bad ankel, she broke it last year in several places, and wants to know how hard it is to climb the falls, how long it takes and any other info you can share.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dunn River Falls climb questions

bandman10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My wife has a bad ankel, she broke it last year in several places, and wants to know how hard it is to climb the falls, how long it takes and any other info you can share.
IIRC, the climb takes about a half hour. The climb is pretty easy, but not one that I would recommend for anybody with a bad ankle since one slip could translate to real trouble. Your wife should attempt it only if her physician has ended all -- and I do mean ALL -- restrictions on her activity.

Norm.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Admiral

I agree with Norm. The climb is not difficult but it can be slippery. If you would like to climb the falls and your wife chooses otherwise, then she can walk "along" with you on the stairs next to falls and take pictures. There is a craft market at the top of the falls and a beach at the bottom.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Since your wife has a bad ankle i would advise against her physically climbing the falls, yes it is a fairly easy climb, but why risk it when there is a stairway all along the falls where you can see all the folks climbing and you can experience the beauty of the falls.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Since your wife has a bad ankle i would advise against her physically climbing the falls, yes it is a fairly easy climb, but why risk it when there is a stairway all along the falls where you can see all the folks climbing and you can experience the beauty of the falls.
It's not the same. The climb, up a stairstep falls in a crystal clear mountain stream, is so refreshing and rejuvenating....

But as I noted in my earlier reply, it is not a good idea for somebody who has a bad ankle. The climb is on rocks that have jagged and otherwise irregular surfaces on which a person with a bad ankle could easily slip, causing a worse injury.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Admiral

I totallyagree with you Norm, there is nothing quite like the actual climb itself, that cool refreshing water feels so good.
The stairway gives you basically a "birds eye" view of the beauty of the cascading waters and all the silly people climbing those falls.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Familiar Face

The rocks are slippery, and the sharp. You are holding hands with a group, so if someone slips in front or back of her, and cause her to slip, she may suffer a serius injury. I would not recommend it.

But, it is sooooooooooo much fun. I posted another message today if she decided to go, I placed a few tips there.

Have fun

PJ
1995 Carnival Sensation
1996 Carnivasl Holiday
1997 RCCL Legend of the Seas
1998 Carnival Facination
2000 Carnival Celebraton
2001 Carnivasl Triumph
2002 Carnival Spirit
2003 and 2004 Conquest (2004 bingo winner)

2000 Carnival Celebration
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Passenger

While the climb up the Falls is not too difficult, the rocks can be slippery. I would not recommend it to anyone with a bad ankle. It is possible to walk along with the climbers on the side of the Falls. The Falls are pretty and it is a great place to take pictures.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Beginner

I did the climb this week. For an average person, the climb is OK. The slippery stuff were scraped off mostly by the employess before each day I guess. However, as you say, if you have a bad ankle, it may get too risky

More than that, please make sure that you book a good tour. Not with the guys like "Island Marketing" and others. I was trying to save a couple of bucks by booking through these guys but I have to say I just escaped a big trouble. The tour took us into a roadsie place and they literally forced us inside their place to have a look at their snuffy stuff.

Be Carefull!!!
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Is Dunn River Falls safe for a 7 year old to climb? We are planning a trip to Ochos Rios in January and would like to try the falls. We will have my family ages 74 through 7.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Beginner

We visited Dunn River Falls in '05. From what I can remember, it would be fine for your 7 year old as long as they are comfortable with being in water. You are close to each other so it shouldn't be scary for them. We loved it...
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Passenger

WE did the climb right after hurricane wilma went through (one of the first ships to get to Jamaica, so there was a LOT of water coming down the falls.0 It was great fun but is tricky if you have a bad ankle.

As for kids going, we had 10 kids with us (22 people in all). The kids ranged in age from 8 to 16. One 8 year old got to the top and tried to get us to go again he had so much fun (even with the swift waters). The other 8 year old hated it but she isn't much of a daredevil. After she was through she decided it wasn't so bad. the rest of the kids loved it and would do it again in a heart beat! My 13-year-old (at the time) thought it was incredible.
Anne
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Admiral

I would suggest anyone climbing the Falls wear water shoes of some kind. My very fit, strong, young, son-in-law slipped and fell and banged up his knee so bad that he had to seek medical attention on the ship, we thought his knee cap was broken.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Default Dunns River Falls

Thanks so much for your replies. I appreciate it. Sounds beautiful and like quite an experience. My group hasnt decided yet if they want to get off the ship and immediately get in a van to drive an hour and a half to Dunne's Falls then back or if they want to just sight see locally, relax and shake off their sea legs.. hahaha. Either way, I am sure we will have fun!
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Dunns River Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathluvs2cruise
Thanks so much for your replies. I appreciate it. Sounds beautiful and like quite an experience. My group hasnt decided yet if they want to get off the ship and immediately get in a van to drive an hour and a half to Dunne's Falls then back or if they want to just sight see locally, relax and shake off their sea legs.. hahaha. Either way, I am sure we will have fun!
I did the climb seven years ago (I was 36 then, though) , and I, too, have alway had weak/bad ankles. One has been broken and sprained to many times it had to be surgically corrected. I don't recall the climb being so dangerous, but I was a little younger then, also. I'm doing it this March and just plan to be VERY careful with my footing.

Is it okay just to wear those water shoes (the cheap ones) like you get at CVS? I cannot remember what I wore the other time, but am sure it was not water shoes b/c it was a spur of the moment thing.
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Passenger

You will have an amazing time. My mother visited Dunn's River Falls as a 20 year old and was too frightened to climb it at that time... We went back with her 7 years ago and at 60 - she climbed to the top. I am extremely unfit - and had to have my father (who was not climbing the falls - but did the stairs) carry my inhalers, epi-pen and other medications... but I too made it. What a wonderful experience. PS - Dad enjoyed watching everyone else having fun during the climb. Mom and I were concentrating so much on our own footing and making it to the top - that we couldn't really enjoy the "shenanigans" of everyone else.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

7 - yes, wearing water mocs and holding an adult's hand 8)
74 - not unless you want an early inheritance

Bad ankle - not recommended, but if you insist - you could do it wearing a 5 mm dive bootie, or a fishing wander felt boot for ankle support and grip.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Passenger

I would not recommend the climb with a bad ankle.
Tell her to go shopping....nothing hurts when you shop!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
First Mate

not with a bad ankle. take the stairs and snap pics.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Jamaica is not the best of places to shop (or anything else) by yourself. The stalls at the top of the stairs can be a bit of a zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinipro
I would not recommend the climb with a bad ankle.
Tell her to go shopping....nothing hurts when you shop!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Beginner

oh my god!!! dont let your wife climb the falls, I had no trouble as I have no health problems, but my husband broke his foot climbing them, and did not feel it for two days. There is a walkway right next to the falls, so she could take pics of you doing it!, bring water shoes and wear your suit you get wet!
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Captain

my mom and i took the stairway and we ejoyed the falls there are place to rest and take pictures the only place i didn't like is going throu
the market a person grab at my arm because i did't top in there shop
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to starpro

I would not recommend doing the Falls with a bad ankle. It's gorgeous and like the other people posting mentioned you can walk on land along side the falls. It is gorgeous either way and good photo ops along the way. Must have creek shoes though. Watch the shop at the top of the falls - they're terrible for people selling you stuff. They say it's free and push you to buy something terrible. It's annoying. It's the most gorgous Falls I've seen thus far in my travels and high recommend making the trip. Have fun!
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dunns River Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathluvs2cruise
I certainly do not remember the falls the falls being an hour and a half away. Probably 15 Min. But perhaps ships dock at different places. A mature 7 yr old with parent probably would be OK but a 74 yr old might have problems unless in excellent health.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam