Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Beginner

Default Dunn River Falls Excursion help needed!

Hi! I'm kidnapping (actually no kid/napping!!!) my best friend & taking her on Carnival Conquest on June 24! We know we want to do DRF on a Carnival Excursion (the time frame would make me too nervous otherwise!), but Carnival offers several tours. Here's the Carnival description for the one I think sounds the best (most fun & variety):
鈥淢ini Boat Adventure w/ Lunch & Falls鈥? $129 7 hrs.
This excursion features double the thrills as you drive your own mini boat and climb Jamaica鈥檚 famous Dunn鈥檚 River Falls.
On this excursion you will:
路 Take a 1陆 hour motor coach journey to the falls in Ocho Rios.
路 Follow your guide as you climb 600 feet of cool, refreshing water. Ascend the rushing waters that cascade over natural limestone terraces.
路 Move on for a briefing on the places of interest and safety instructions for operating your mini boat.
路 Take the helm as 鈥淐aptain鈥? of your mini boat as you maneuver on the waves.
路 Enjoy spectacular views of the lush vegetation along the coast and three waterfalls.
路 Arrive at Dolphin Cove and take a stroll through the town of 鈥淟ittle Port Royal.鈥?
路 Explore the replica of Jamaica鈥檚 famous Pirate haunt. Join the pirates in their activities on the boardwalk.
路 View the amazing shark show, see dolphins at play, and interact with birds, snakes and other exotic animals.
路 Enjoy a Caribbean buffet lunch and shopping before your return journey to Montego Bay.

Has anyone done this one? What is the whole pirate thing about? Is the mini boat thing easy for 2 moms who don't get out for adventure much?
Thanks so much for your help!! This is only my second cruise, but it's her first & I want to make it the experience of a life-time for her!
We've already booked Captain Marvin's Stingray & City tours for Grand Cayman & Talum (thru Carnival) for Cozumel. SOOOOO excited!!!!
Donna K
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've done the mini boats elsewhere (not Jamaica), and combined with Dunn's Falls, sounds like a fun excursion. I wouldn't worry. Go and enjoy!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Beginner

Thank you, Kuki! I went ahead & booked it! I think it's going to be great!
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Familiar Face

DRF is wonderful. I love it. I have gone to Jamaica several times, and I make a point to add this to my list of things to do.

1. Bring a water camera. The tour guide will stop along the way for you to take pictures. You don't want to ruin your good camera.

2. Don't be afraid to get your hair wet. You will go under the fall.

3.. DO, DO...bring your own water shoes. You can get a cheap pair at Target or Walmart for less than $5. They will try to rent you some, but I prefer my own. The rocks are slippery and you need something on your feet. If you don't have water shoes, bring old tennis shoes. When you complete the climb you have to walk a distance to get back to your bus the ground is very hot to walk on, and you will pass through a straw market with many vendors trying to sell you things.

4. Before you leave the cabin, wear your swimsuit under your clothes, so all you have to do is slip your clothes off.

5. Bring a towel

6. If you want to shop, bring money, so you might want to get one of those waterproof carriers that you wear around your neck

If I recall, they have lockers, if you don't want to leave things on the bus, if you do not plan on shopping, you might want to bring a few bucks. (I forgot, you will have to carry money to pay for the cruise), so go to a place that sells luggage and you should be able to find one of the waterproof holders. They come in handy for the beach also.

Many women wear t-shirts over their swimsuits.

Enjoy. It's a lot of fun.
1995 Carnival Sensation
1996 Carnivasl Holiday
1997 RCCL Legend of the Seas
1998 Carnival Facination
2000 Carnival Celebraton
2001 Carnivasl Triumph
2002 Carnival Spirit
2003 and 2004 Conquest (2004 bingo winner)

2000 Carnival Celebration