Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Passenger

Default Which Caribbean ports and cruise line is best for me?

Hi Everyone,
I am planning my first cruise ever for December (my birthday), and at this point am going all alone. I'm a 26 year old male, and honestly know nothing about the Caribbean other than it's beautiful. All I know is that I want to be totally blown away by ports that are really exotic and beautiful (light blue waters, white sandy beaches, good local culture), and of a course a nice beach/bar scene as well.

My travel style is basically running around trying to see as much as possible, although for this trip I can see myself wandering around the town for half the day and laying on the beach the 2nd half. I'm not planning on spending any time on the ship while it's in port.

I'm looking at a 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise with stops at Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John's/Antigua, Tortola, and St. Thomas. I figure 5 ports RT from San Juan Puerto Rico is pretty good in 7 days because I would get to see so much, but are there things to do at these places for a young guy like me? I don't enjoy shopping. What would a good cruise line be for me? I'm also open to the idea of cruises from Florida, but they don't seem to make as many stops as the cruise from Princess Cruise Lines I'm looking at.

Also, what is your take on the private islands owned by cruise lines??? The concept seems so cheezy to me, and I think I'd rather go to a more "natural" environment than something that's been set up by a corporation, but you could tell me otherwise.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

In my opinion I think you should go with either Royal Caribbean or Princess cruise lines. We went on RC Adventure of the Seas back in October of 2006, which sailed out of San Juan. The ports of calls where St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Antigua, and Barbados, but I think this ship changed some ports, but it's still a southern caribbean cruise. Not only is the ship gorgeous, and has many activities for you to enjoy, the staff and food where great. If you would like to see some awesome photos of this ship and ports please let me know I can email them to you. This October we are going on our first Princess cruise, and sailing on Crown Princess, which came out last year. This ship also sails southern caribbean, and we are going to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba (which happens to be my favorite island).

I've also sailed on Carnival Destiny which sails southern caribbean but they no loger sail to Aruba, and their itinerary has changed since we sailed on her in 2001, and I've sailed on Carnival Celebration which is a very old ship, and wouldn't recommend this ship to anyone who is sailing for their first time. If you have any other questions feel free to post and if I can't help you I'm sure there are many more people who can. I also want to mention that the three times we flew in to San Juan we always went in the day before and stayed at one of their hotels that was beach front. Flying in the day before a cruise makes a less stressful day when boarding the ship, and your less tired. Happy Crusing!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Which Caribbean ports and cruise line is best for me?

TravelHappy81,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi Everyone,
I am planning my first cruise ever for December (my birthday), and at this point am going all alone. I'm a 26 year old male, and honestly know nothing about the Caribbean other than it's beautiful. All I know is that I want to be totally blown away by ports that are really exotic and beautiful (light blue waters, white sandy beaches, good local culture), and of a course a nice beach/bar scene as well.

My travel style is basically running around trying to see as much as possible, although for this trip I can see myself wandering around the town for half the day and laying on the beach the 2nd half. I'm not planning on spending any time on the ship while it's in port.

I'm looking at a 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise with stops at Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John's/Antigua, Tortola, and St. Thomas. I figure 5 ports RT from San Juan Puerto Rico is pretty good in 7 days because I would get to see so much, but are there things to do at these places for a young guy like me? I don't enjoy shopping. What would a good cruise line be for me? I'm also open to the idea of cruises from Florida, but they don't seem to make as many stops as the cruise from Princess Cruise Lines I'm looking at.

Also, what is your take on the private islands owned by cruise lines??? The concept seems so cheezy to me, and I think I'd rather go to a more "natural" environment than something that's been set up by a corporation, but you could tell me otherwise.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Every cruise line has its own personality and style, and your enjoyment of a cruise will depend heavily on the degree to which the cruise line's style may or may not be a good match for yours. If you're a "pizza and beer" kind of guy, you might not appreciate a cruise line that serves up "wine and cheese" or, worse still, "champagne and caviar" -- and vice versa. Likewise, if you prefer to dress in jeans and "T" shirts, you probably will want to avoid lines that require either "coat and tie" or a tuxedo four evenings out of seven -- and, conversely, if you like to dress up for fancy evenings, you probably will want to avoid the "all casual" lines.

Unfortunately, neither I nor anybody else on this board know your personal tastes, preferences, and style well enough to recommend one line over another as a good match for you. The best advise is to pay a visit to your local bookstore, pick up a travel guide to cruise lines and cruise ships (all of the major series of travel guides, including Berlitz, Fodor's, Frommer's, and Stern's, publish them), and read the descriptions of the various cruise lines to get a sense which lines would be the best match for your style and your tastes. If you can narrow it down to two or three lines, a competent travel agent will be glad to assist you to refine your selection.

BTW, don't worry too much about the median age on one line or another. Most of the major cruise lines draw a very broad spectrum of ages, so a difference of a few years in the median is not very significant. The differences in style of cuisine, formality or informality, etc., will be much more significant factors in your enjoyment of your cruise.

Have a great cruise, whichever line you select!

Norm.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Passenger

Default Try Western Caribbean

Why not try the western Caribbean cruise. Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Princess, all four visit Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Cayman, Bay Islands in Honduras, in a mix of these destinations. This will give you a real broadbase cruise that may just answer your demands. And yes, I agree wholeheartedly - NEVER stay on the ship. The shore tours on this cruise circuit and excellent - cave tubing, wildlife centers, beaches, snorkelling, diving, fishing, horseback, ATVs, airboats, zipline - you name it. And try going with the local on shore operators - far cheaper and excellent in every port. Hope you get what you're after!!! It's your money!!! And your precious time!!!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

I personally like Princess though Royal Caribbean would probably be good too. I think one of Princess's southern Caribbean routes goes to all of the ports that you mentioned in 7 nights. If you look under shore excursions on the Princess site, it will tell you all of them. There are so many.

As for the private islands, most are on Eleuthera and though it is a pretty island, yes, it is pretty artificial. There are lots of fun water sports though.

Good luck!
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi! How great that you are taking your first cruise and that you picked a great itinerary.

If you love beaches and relaxing and yet some nightlife the Southern Caribbean is for you.

Princess Cruises is not the only one that does this itinerary.

Royal Caribbean does it also and I highly recommend this line.
Great does not even come close to describing it.!

Have a great time and good luck.

Diane
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Labadee on Haiti is owned by RCI and is on a peninsula (not an island) with five beaches, enough shopping and food for a day long excursion. All food is included and you use your sign & sail card for drinks. It is all the Haiti that you want to see and experience. I know having been to Port Au Prince and Cap Hatien many years ago.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Travel Happy

Great cruise choice. I highly recommend the following:
Barbados
Swim with the Turtles, Steven is a great guide, we really enjoyed that one. Well organized product.

St Lucia
The most beautiful and very friendly people. We did the partial private land & sea tour with Serenity Vacations & Tour. Quite frankly, this was the best tour we have done in all our cruises. Only wished we had done the fully private cruisers exclusive. We had a private "ambassador" on both the land and sea portion. A wonderful little lady called Sherma. Unlimited drinks, lots of fun and very much worth every penny. We were served first at the Fond Doux restaurant for lunch and that felt great (there were at least 70 cruise ship passenger in a large tour group sited before us).

They have over 52 tour choices, please tell them Robert Thornbread recommended them. You can get them toll free 866 766 0794 or serenitytvl.com, or Google search serenityvacationsandtours.
Have fun
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Travel happy, I think you've picked a great cruise and a great itinerary for your first cruise. You are right about not staying on the ship in port, there is so much to do!
Personally, I have only been to 3 of your ports, Tortola, where a visit to The Baths, National Park, is a must - one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, along with the chance to explore inside the caves.
St.John's (snorkelling in Trunk Bay is a must!).
St. Thomas, (any of the many beaches, with lunch included is a must, along with a trip up the Skyride, a gondola ride up the mountain which will provide you with breathtaking views and photo ops of St. Thomas) While at the top, don't miss sampling their signature drink, the Bailey's Bushwacker! Mmmmm!

I haven't visited any of the other ports, but sure would like to. Maybe you can post back here after your cruise and tell us all about them!

donna
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Just pick one and start to collect cruises.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Just pick one and start to collect cruises.
That's me 8) !

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Which Caribbean ports and cruise line is best for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHappy81
Hi Everyone,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Based on my 7 cruises ( 5 being in the Caribbean), I think just about any 5 or 7 day Caribbean cruise would fit your taste. Western Caribbean offers both culture( mainly Mayan ruins) and lovely beaches. Playa Del Carman and Costa Maya Mexico have beaches at the dock and offers Mexican cultural sites nearby. Grand Cayman has lovely 7 mile beach, Jamaica has both beaches and culture.
One could also find plenty to like on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. There are forts in Nassau and San Juan, for example.

/ticker.png">
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Default ITINERARY AND LINE

I agree with the response regarding Royal Caribbean being the best plan for a 26 year old especially traveling alone. It may not be as wild as Carnival ( seems to be the prevailing thought..never been on Carnival ) but i know that the club scene on board RCCL has been a great time for my young adult children since the time they could legally get into it.

This past winter we sailed the itinerary you are talking about with the exception of St maarten rather than tortola...out of san juan. It was the Serenade but the Adventure also cruises this itinerary! I probably would advise the RCCL Adventure since it is a larger ship . We have been on both..kids loved both!

These Islands will BLOW YOU AWay. STUNNING! 8)

My Personal Fav was Antigua . We did the ECO KAYAK ADVENTURE...it was absolutely breathtaking! Some of the best Photos i have taken ever were from here. Kayaking, Great speed boat ride, desserted beach on island, snorkel...a GREAT DAY! I am not too sure about hot spot bars on this island though

St Lucia was also beautiful but to me in a different way. The PITONS..a long ride but worth it....however most ships on this itinerary have a special surprise before leaving St Lucia & the PITONS that will get you up close and personal!

WE did LAND /SEA SOFRIERE tour there..bus, volcano, PTION view, lunch, small fishing village, beach, catamaran back with rum punch. Friends have done the PIRATE EXCURSION and LOVED THIS..all adults !

ST Thomas...every single time we go we take the Beach trip to St John's..beautiful beach. Scenery almost rivals Antigua. Magen's Bay: my family has all been to but i have not. It looked pretty. Take the Paradise Point Ride up the mountain and try a "Bushwacker"...great views even before the beverage !

ST Maartin: Orient Beach...was ok...not as nice as some others on this itinerary. Maybe do the Sunset beach bar...where the Planes fly right over the beach..looks to be lively. We have friends that go to st maartin every year and this is always a day stop!

Barbados . i have heard wonderful things about Barbados & its beaches. Our trip was a snorkel with turtles day so we didn't see much of the island itself but did stop at a beautful beach

San Juan: Senor Frogs right down town. ALways hoppin!

Hope that helps.