Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Beginner

Default Belize: cave-tubing.com and my son

I am looking forward to our stop in Belize and definitely want to do the cavetubing. I saw once that you can book through cave-tubing.com and save half what you would pay through Carnival- has anyone done that?

Also, Carnival says certain months children need to be at least 12. Other months younger is ok. I have a 10 year old who swims very well, but we are going in August when the age should be 12 + What is the reason for the age restriction in August?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Only reason I can see an age difference during different times of the year would be if its the rainy season and the water is deeper. I think it had more to do with height than age, but again, I'm just guessing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing in Belize - rainy season and children

Hey there. When we saw your post we e-mailed our operator and asked him the same question - we'll be there with the entire family group in August on the Valor, and we have 5 children ages 3 to 9. The main man there, Major Tom of belizecavetubing.net replied with this message, and we quote it verbatim here :

"The rainiest month of the year in Belize is August - the rainy season is actually June, July and August, so some operators and certainly the cruiselines are wary of carrying younger children at that time. The cruiselines do not take anyone under 12 anyway, but independent operators take from babies in Dad's arms, with a single extra guide only for those two and sometimes Mom as well. Very few independent operators have more than 2 years of experience with this tour, so please be careful. We feel good to have started it all in 1992 at the cave tubing park on Caves Branch Sibun, called NO'HOCH CHE'EN in Maya (you'll see that sign when you arrive at the park entrance), so we pretty well know what we are doing, and keep our guests safe, with all safety equipment and extra guides. You simply have to thoroughly check out your operator and ensure they have the background and experience that will make you happy and feel secure taking children along, especially very young ones. If you feel an operator is pulling you leg on their years of exposure to this cave system, get in touch with the Belize Tourism Board at www.travelbelize.org and ask for facts on the dates when your independent operator obtained their guide and tour operator licenses, and that will perhaps make you feel better about taking young children cave tubing. If anyone wants to know more about the cave system and other related matters, I will be only too glad to answer. We want our valued cruise guests coming to Belize to be safe, secure, and happy."
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Beginner

We just got back from Belize through Carnival Legand. It was our second time to Belize and both times booked excursions through Natcho and Cynthia. We did cave tubing the first time and this time did zip lining - both were fantastic and Natcho is a great host. He offers both events on the same trip but we only did zip line this time and toured the park while waiting. He has access to the Jaguar Paw park that most tour grous don't see - you get a sit down lunch in the private reosrt. Natcho is VERY safety concious and would let you know if it's OK for younger travelers. If you need his email just contact me. Enjoy!