Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Default Horseshoe Bay Beach

How far is Horseshoe Bay Beach, and how much does it cost to get there from the West End dock in Bermuda? I have never been there and not sure what to expect. Any ideas welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Buy a transportation 1 or 2 or 3 day pass available easily at the Dockyard. Horseshoe is great. A must see. Has a grill for eating and changing area/restroom. Snorkel renting available although I suggest you take your own. After you get off the bus, someone will offer to take you down to the Bay for $1. Well worth it, especially on the way back as it is uphill. Don't forget your underwater camera. As you enter the beach, take the small path to the right for a small secluded cove. Beautiful. Enjoy.
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just another option: You can always take a taxi that will drop you off - and pick you up - at the bottom of the hill. We've already shared the ride with others to help with the cost.
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Passenger

I have a few questions too! How much is the taxi ride? And for how many passengers? Was it from Hamilton? How was the snorkeling at Horshoe? Is the water calm for kids? From my reading this seems like the must see beach in Bermuda and quite beautiful with the pink sand and coral formations. Is this correct? Any other beach suggestions? I went to Tobacco Bay last time we were in Bermuda and felt is was crowded with other ship passengers and the snorkeling was just okay.
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Cruze Lover -

I can't remember how much the taxi ride cost, but I remember there were 5 of us in a small van. I already took a taxi from both Hamilton and King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay.

Personally I enjoy snorkeling at Tobacco Bay more than Horseshoe Bay. Although Horseshoe Bay's beach area is huge, I really didn't think there was a lot of good snorkeling area , which meant there was a lot of people snorkeling in the same place. But I do think HB is a good place for kids - when I was there the water was calm.

There are a lot of good beaches in Bermuda, such as...Shelly Bay, Elbow Beach, Peel Bay (next to Horseshoe), Turtle Bay, and Jobson's Cove.

Your best bet is to ask the locals.

Happy Cruising!!

Sharon
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Familiar Face

We took a taxi from Dockyard to Church Bay (before you get to Horseshoe) and the cost was about 25 dollars. I also like Tobacco Bay better for snorkeling. Horseshoe does have some waves. However, it you take a right as you enter the beach, you will find a small cove with no waves and good snorkeling.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Passenger

Hi ~

Just visited Horseshoe Bay last week. (God it's beautiful!!!) powdery Pink sands, turquoise water, abundant tropical fish, little singing birds - can't get much better than that!

Anyway, took a taxi (the van type) - cost $ 25.75 from the Dockyard....no matter how many people. Also took a taxi from Horseshoe to Hamilton that was $29 I believe.

Horseshoe has snorkel equip, chairs, umbrellas, etc for rent, restrooms and a stand for food and drinks.

If you have kids, once you come down the path past the rentals, head to the right...there is a little cove with calmest of waters and tons of little irridescent blue fish the kids will love.

FYI....walk through the rock formations and it will open up to another beach. And a tip....the beach starts getting really crowded about 1:30pm when the cruise tours end. We got there at 9am and beach was practically deserted.

Tobacco Bay was great as well, also @ the Dockyard is Snorkel Bay equally as nice (smaller tho). Probably the best snorkeling is done there. Elbow Beach no longer open to the public...only for resort people.