Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Default Blackbeardscastle.com tours

Does anyone know anything about this company, Blackbeardscastle.com? They offer historic downtown walking tours starting at Blackbeard's Castle and hitting the colonial-era highlights. This is the kind of tour I am interested in. If you know anything about them and would recommend them or not, I'd appreciate it.
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Me too !! I'm not into beaches and shopping. I love history 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Hi, Thoth! I've emailed Blackbeard's Castle Tours, but haven't heard anything from them yet. I"ve seen some people mention on different boards that the the castle wasn't that interesting, but I study 18th c. literature and the Caribbean is a very big topic during that time period. I hope the Blackbeard Castle tour people get back to me and that their tour guides can say more than the obvious.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM
booboo4031

When I did a similar excursion through Princess, it was something I couldn't have done myself. They basically drove us downtown and dropped us off down at a park and we were to meet back in a few hours. Then they drove us up to blackbeards. That is a self guided tour! After that you're on your own. I walked down 99 steps back into town and walked back to the ship.

Diane
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Diane,
That sounded pretty lousy and I bet it cost a lot more than it was worth since it was through the cruiseline . That's why I contacted Blackbeard'scastle.com, to see if they gave a better more in-depth tour than I'd get through the cruise's excursions.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Passenger

We did Blackbeards on our own last year. Walked up the 99 steps(it really is a big hike), went up the tower (great veiw of the harbour), toured the colonial buildings(very intresting) & then walked back down. Really not worth spending any cash on at all. Save that for the great shopping !! The most intresting thing up there is the statues of pirates. Have a great time....Gaye
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Beginner

I don't know about Blackbeards tours but I found a self-guided tour on the following website. We are going to try it when we go in late Sep. It seems pretty detailed although it won't beat a really good tour guide. The site is http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/attractions_stt/index.php

Under the main heading is a link to historical 1 and historical 2.

Hope this helps and maybe saves a few bucks.