Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Default Any suggestions for Antigua and St. Kitts?

We will be in Antiqua and st. Kitts the end of October. there are 12 of us in our group sailing on the Crown Princess. Any suggestions as to fun, inexpensive things to do on these islands. Heard about the "drunk Monkeys" on St. kitt's. What beaches are these at, does anyone know? There was an Animal Planet story on them that was pretty entertaining.
Anne
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Any suggestions for Antigua and St. Kitts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygeorge
We will be in Antiqua and st. Kitts the end of October. there are 12 of us in our group sailing on the Crown Princess. Any suggestions as to fun, inexpensive things to do on these islands. Heard about the "drunk Monkeys" on St. kitt's. What beaches are these at, does anyone know? There was an Animal Planet story on them that was pretty entertaining.
Anne
Well, I hope your group of 12 enjoy yourselves at the expense of helpless animals being fed beer, etc. to get your jollies! IMO, I think it is cruel to get animals drunk. Come on, you can find better entertainment than that! Eating fermented fruit (which is how they developed this taste) vs. purposely being fed alcohol for the entertainment of humans is really disgusting. I WILL NOT be condoning this disgusting human behavior toward animals by visiting this island. They should be providing these animals protection, not condoning this behavior from humans! SHAME ON YOU!!!!
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can get a cab to Turtle beach. While there were some monkeys that you could feed, they certainly were not drunk, but rather cute. Nice beach, very scenic ride.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Default Antigua recommendation

I just returned from an RCI cruise which included Antigua. I took a full day Eco tour with Eli's Eco Tours. The web site is adventure antigua dot com. They picked us up at the dock on the 52 foot powered cat and off we went. We were the only ones from the cruise, there were some other folks from hotels. Tony, Corey and One Love were the crew and they are some of the nicest people I've met. They showed us a wonderful time and we had time to snorkel too. They provided a nice lunch and plenty of rum punch at the end of the day. My time with them was one of the highlights of the trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Admiral

I had a small group that THOROUGHLY enjoyed themselves with Thenford Grey's tour of St. Kitts. I highly recommend:
http://www.thenfordgrey.com/

I don't know anything about drunken monkeys, but like Donna said, there were some rather tame monkeys at Turtle Beach, along with Wilbur the resident pig. I personally wouldn't feed an animal anything harmful, and didn't see anyone else do that at the time of my visit.

I loved St. Kitts!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
First Mate

I have never heard of 'drunken moneys' and expect it is more of an urban myth than anything else. Antigua is a very proud country and theyappear to be trying to protect their environment. Travelbugs, I suspect you've never been there. And, for goodness sakes why SHOUT shame at someone for asking a question or suggesting a boycott an entire country because of a rumor or possible past activity. I should be boycotting the entire US I guess and virtually every other country as well. That's why these boards are here....to ask questions.
We took a great tour with "Asa", a very nice fellow with a large clean AC modern van (13 passenger), just beyond the terminal area with the taxis, tours etc. It was $25 each but I suspect he would do a deal if you filled his van up with your group. Very good tour included sights of some gorgeous beaches, Nelson Dockyards, Shirley Heights, amazing Stanford airport development area (old sugar cane plantation area). 2 1/2 hour tour extended to 5 hours!! since everyone wa enjoying it and he was willing to keep going. Saw quite a bit of a beautiful island
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM
First Mate

I forgot St Kitts. We went to Frigate Beach, a volcanic 'black sand' beach. It was too murky for snorkeling as the wind was up, not sure what it would be like on a calmer day. Taxi was $10 but no fees or anything at the beach. On return to the ship we walked the fairly lengthy walk to downtown Basseterre (?2 miles), taxied back. (There is a pier right at the town square area but we were docked out in the industrial area.) Yes, it is very poor, but the walk around the historic area including Independence square (former slave market) the old churches, original buildings takes you into a bit of a time warp. We are history buffs so we love learning about every counry. Outside of Basseterre, St Kitts was quite clean and prospering. Never did an organized tour here.
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
First Mate

If you have never watched Crickett, this might be your chance. Both St. Kitts and Antigua hosted segments of the world cup this year and there is a chance you might find a game in progress. We enjoyed Nelson's Dockyards (being History Buffs) and the view from Shirley Heights is great - you can even see Eric Clapton's Antigua home and studio from there.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
First Mate

[quote="kd"]I have never heard of 'drunken moneys' and expect it is more of an urban myth than anything else. Antigua is a very proud country and theyappear to be trying to protect their environment. Travelbugs, I suspect you've never been there. And, for goodness sakes why SHOUT shame at someone for asking a question or suggesting a boycott of an entire country because of a rumor or possible past activity.

Oops, I type too fast. I definitely know we are referring to drunken 'monkeys' not moneys.
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

kd, a few points of clarification: The original reference to the drunk monkeys was on the island of St. Kitts, not Antigua. I wasn't disturbed by someone asking a question, merely what the question about the monkeys represented to me....cruel treatment of animals as entertainment. I was not, and would not, suggest a boycott of any kind, anywhere. I was merely conveying the fact I wouldn't care to visit St. Kitts, if this is occurring.

My apologies to anyone who found my posting unappealing. Having seen a youtube video that showed people purposely allowing the monkeys to take their drinks and some very drunk monkeys, I guess it just "got my goat" that the OP appeared to be specifically searching out the drunk monkeys as a form of entertainment.

If the OP informs me my interpretation of their inquiry about the monkeys was incorrect, I do owe them an apology.

I will take a more diplomatic approach in future postings.

I sent an email on September 3rd, to an animal welfare group on the island to see if they have any information about the drunk monkeys. No response thus far.

I hope this post smooths the waters.