Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Passenger

Default Barbados - The Boatyard

Hi Cruisemates,
I'm thinking about visiting The Boatyard on Barbados when I stop there for a day in December.

Can anyone offer any personal experiences or reviews of this place? Do you know if it had good snorkeling? I've read the beach is beautiful and the water is crystal clear, but then saw a review that there is no snorkeling there and you'd have to go on a private tour to do that. Could that be true?

Can anyone offer information about prices of food, drinks, etc. at this place?

Also, do you have any idea of what a quick island tour by taxi might cost for myself from the cruise port before they dropped me off at The Boatyard?

Thank you all very much for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Happy,
I don't recall there being any snorkeling at the Boatyard, think you'd have to do a snorkeling excursion for that. The beach is nice, water tramp, you can rent jet skis. There's a restaurant/bar and plenty of chairs. The cost which included one drink and a chair was $10 per person when I was there awhile back. You can use the beach for nothing, but then you wouldn't get a chair, etc. Its fairly close to the pier.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Went to the Dockyard in April...very nice!!!! a few tips!
1.If you want a quieter area sit on the right side upon arriving.
2. A fun local bar is on the beach ( forget the name of it) walk to the left ( if you're facing the ocean) about 5 mins cheaper beers.
3. I inquired about the internet cafe which wasn't working but the lady told me about a cafe about 2 blocks down the street. We left our husbands and walked there, easy/ safe walk, cheap internet service. We decided to bring back some drinks which were cheap too, I had beers so I hid them in my purse, my friend had a diet coke which she didn't hide and the bouncer at the Dockyard confiscated it...you can only consume thing purchased there... FYI
We didnt eat there , thought the menu was a bit pricey. We just swam and had a wonderful time. Enjoy!!!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Thank you both very much for the information and the tips. I'll be sure to bring along that information if I decide to go there. From what I've seen, it sounds like it's one of the nicest beaches in Barbados, but I've also seen a few comments that the view is not the best sinc it's close to port I believe. I thought of a few more questions and am wondering if you or anyone else may be able to answer them. Thank you again for your help!

1.) Do either of you have any comments about the view from the beach?

2.) Were there lockers available to rent there?

3.) How much did food, beer and cocktails cost?

4.) Would it be safe to walk there by myself from the port, and if so do you know how I would get there?

5.) I'm thinking about hiring a taxi to drive me around Barbados for a while to give me a tour and then drop me off at the Boatyard. Is there much to see around Barbados, and what do you think the cost of a taxi tour would be?
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Walking there from the dock is not really recommended. There's no sidewalk. We went to Malibu beach which was a little further and the cabbie only charged us $5. We took a cab to Harrison's cave. The cabbie took us on a mini tour to get there. $10 and he waited for us after the tour which was very nice. Everyone we met was very friendly.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think getting a cab is a great idea, thats exactly what we did, first to Harrison Caves and the ride back and dropped off at the Boatyard. We ended up walking back through town. It was an easy walk and you can see the ships, so you know which direction to start walking.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Passenger

We took a taxi to the Boatyard, can't remember the price....
food at the bar was about $12.00 for a burger ( I think) drinks delivered to your chair was about $4.00
I thought the views of the Boatyard was very nice, no industrial areas in sight.
If you enter the Boatyard you get a free trip back to the pier w/ your admission. We walked back, it was an easy walk but VERY hot that day, the local said a 10 min walk, it was more like a 25 min walk in 98 degree weather.
Sorry my response took so long.
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Passenger

Thank you all very much for your replies. From the sound of things, the Boatyard is definitely the place to be. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person, probably after I take a mini tour in a cab or something as I would like to see more of the island too. I really do appreciate your help! Thanks again.