Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Default Shore excursions questions in Mexico and belize

I put this question in another topic area and it was the wrong one so i moved it here.Thanks
Hi,I am taking my wife and 2 teenage daughters on the jewel of the seas on feb 3 2008.We are stopping in Key West,Cozumel,Playa del Carmen and Belize City.
My question is as we have never travel anywhere outside of Canada before is we want to do some excursions to the Mayan Ruins.however the Belize stop is a tender and i am not sure about the time lines giving us enough times to get off the ship and onto out tour and back again and tendered back to the ship.I just am not comforatable doing this on our first trip. I think Playa Del Carmen is a tender also and am not sure if there is enough time to do the Maya ruin tour there also.I read on the excursion info that a tour to the ruins from Cozumel is cuting it close also.
Does anyone have any ides how i can see some ruins and not cut it too close for getting back to the ship.Any ideas are much appreciated.
Also what is there to do with a family in Playa del Carmen .I can find no excursion info on the RCCL yet as they droped Costa Maya and added Playa but added no excursions.

My second question is when we go to shore do we take US dollar or Mexican money with us and where do we get the money from??
We have never traveled far so i have no idea about using differant currencies in the US,mexico and Belize.
Thanks in Advance for your answers. Dale from Winnipeg
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Dale!

To answer your first question you should book your excursions through the cruise line. It is more expensive than booking on your own, but you will have the piece of mind that the ship will not sail without you.

As for your second question most of the business's that deal with tourists and ship passengers will accept US currency but that is not guaranteed. You should be able to get local currency at a bank or ATM in the port.

Happy Sailing!
Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
CONQUEST - 7/2015
VALOR - 3/2015
LIBERTY - 5/2013
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM
First Mate

I just replied to your other post.
Renee - The better half of RobRen :-)

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM

If you book a tour through the ship, then you will not have to worry about making it back to the ship on time-the ship will wait for their tour group if they are delayed.

Quite a few of the excursions to Mayan ruins from various ports of call involve a long bus ride, so be prepared. Read the fine print of the description of the tour and look for the length of the bus trip. You can then subtract the travel time and see just how long you will be spending at the ruins themselves.

I would normally book all shore activities outside of ship sponsored tours, but if the trip involved a long bus ride of an hour or more each way I would choose the ship's tour.

Playa has beautiful beaches, and Xcaret (they bill themselves as an eco theme park) is about 5 minutes from there.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM

Take binoculars when doing the ruins, good walking shoes, a hat, an umbrella, and plenty of water. Avoid touching or leaning on any trees - some are poisonous, a bit like poison oak. 8)

Originally Posted by Mermaid
Quite a few of the excursions to Mayan ruins from various ports of call involve a long bus ride, so be prepared. Read the fine print of the description of the tour and look for the length of the bus trip. You can then subtract the travel time and see just how long you will be spending at the ruins themselves.
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

You would have time to do Tulum in from Playa del Carmen or from Calica, which is where we ended up. We booked a private tour with Tulum Private Tours and in Belize I would recommend taking your teens Zipline and Cave Tubing with X-stream
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Playa del Carmen, in this port you will be docking and the Mayan Ruins excursion to Tulum takes much less time than if departing from Cozumel, where you will need to take the ferry to the mainland first (ca. 45 minute rides). Playa will offer all excursions that depart from Cozumel to the mainland (such as Tulum, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, etc.) and also offers a vast choice of adventure tours such as ATV's, Jeep Tours, Horseback riding, cenote snorkel, party catamaran, etc.
Moneywise, it is better to change your US dollars into Mexican pesos. Paying with dollars is accepted in almost all places however at a 1:10 exchange rate, which makes it better to change your money...good luck!

belize, carmen, celebrity, cruise, currency, del, exchange, excursions, foreign, jeep, mayan, mexico, playa, popular, powered, rates, ruins, tour, vbulletin, versus