Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default Smuggler's Cove, Tortola. Is the walk to the beach tough?

Hey everyone,

I'm on the Zuiderdam 11/10 and one of our stops is Road Town, Tortola. It seems to be a weird time - noon to 10:00 pm. That probably leaves out most sailing excursions (saw a few posts about patouche cat sails).

I've heard about Cane Bay, but also heard good things about Smuggler's Cove - less crowded, beautiful beach, great snorkeling, and the Honor Bar (if it's open). I would need to take a taxi and understand that they won't drive down the road to the beach. I haven't been able to find a very good description of that road and was wondering how long the walk was. Some posts on Frommer's said it was a nice walk with tropical flowers along the way.

I'm not sure what to do after the beach around dinnertime. Is there any decent shopping? Any place fun near the cruise ship for a drink or entertainment? Don't want to be on the other side of the island too late since i'll most likely be by myself.

Thanks!

Kath

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Beginner

I've been there several times. The road it not paved, it's a dirt road with a few pot holes. I have never walked there and I probably never would. I stayed at a villa closeby and I still drove. It's going to be at least a 15-20 minute walk into the beach from the main road depending on where the taxi drops you off. I would be sure to leave the beach no later than 5pm as there are NO streetlights and it will be very dark.

There are restaurants on the island as well as shops in the Road Town area. There is not too much entertainment but you may be able to find a restaurant with a live band or music.
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Passenger

msmarvel,yes in tortola there is a bar right by where the ship docks that is maybe a 5 minute walk. typical island bar with a roof patio and relatively cheap drinks. just watch out for the painkiller and bushwacker drinks. ENJOY might see u there as we're in tortola from 7 til 3:30
on the carnival liberty
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee
msmarvel,yes in tortola there is a bar right by where the ship docks that is maybe a 5 minute walk. typical island bar with a roof patio and relatively cheap drinks. just watch out for the painkiller and bushwacker drinks. ENJOY might see u there as we're in tortola from 7 til 3:30
on the carnival liberty
Is this right on the beach? If so, what is the beach like there?