Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Default Embarking and Disembarking in San Juan

We are leaving and returning to San Juan. We have from 9am to 5pm when we disembark in San Juan, Our plane leaves about 6:30pm. Need some ideas of what to do in San Juan during our wait time. Also, what we can do with our luggage during this period also. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sometime during the cruise, they will offer some post cruise excursions that work out well when you have a late flight. They give you some to choose from which include spending some time at a local hotel, or a tour of Old San Juan, the forts and New San Juan, ending at the airport with all your luggage. Your luggage will stay with you during the excursions. Good way to spend the time, instead of sitting at the airport.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Default luggage storage

If you are on the Carnival Destiny you can store your luggage across the street and spend the day walking around the old city, till you are ready to go.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Beginner

We are on RCCL Adventure of the Seas. Are there public luggage near?
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Passenger

Default no

no there isnt but you can take a cab to the the storage place in the old city in front of pier # 4......e-mail for more information... have a great time
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Admiral

I'm on the Destiny in April and hope I will get a chance to do a post cruise shore excursion in San Juan. Since I'm using Carnival's air, that may or may not come to pass.
A few years back I San Juan was a port of call on my cruise at the time. Old San Juan is most definatly worth seeing. Thought I was in Spain, not the Caribbean.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Passenger

Default private tour

We just got back from San Juan and took a private tour to the gardens.
The driver took us that were ofdf the beaten path and we even had a papaya shake at a market place.
We contacted the tourist board and they told us about countryside tours 787 593 9014.
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Just be aware that disembarking in San Juan can be VERY SLOW. We got to San Juan at 7 a.m. and didn't get off the ship until after noon (not our choice, not much to do when you can't be in your cabin and there's no food or drink service for four hours) and there were lots of people after us. We almost missed our 1:30 flight because they had shut down all but one security gate entrance at the airport on a Saturday so that took us 40 minutes. We went running to our gate just in time to make last call. May want to book excursion through ship so they will let you get off early. This was by far the worst port we've ever had to deal with as far as getting through customs and length of time it takes. Usually we are off the ship in an hour or so from when we dock. Not so in Puerto Rico. That was our second time of going through customs in San Juan, -- both took about 4 hours. Just an FYI.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Passenger

ON VICTORY OTS A VALET SERVICE IS OFFERED FOR YOUR LUGGAGE. IT IS ONLY 20 DOLLARS P.P. AND WELL WORTH IT. YOU WON'T SEE YOUR LUGGAGE UNTIL YOU GET TO YOUR DESTINATION.
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
First Mate

We used the $20 pp valet service and it was great. After we checked our luggage in at the pier, we took a taxi up to El Morro, wandered our way back down through Old San Juan, had lunch, and later went to the airport to catch our flight. The valet service is wonderful! No worrying about your luggage till you get to your final destination.

Have a great cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to Laedw Send a message via Yahoo to Laedw

8) I have been reading the boards and read that you can get valet service for your luggage with certain airlines after disembarking in San Juan. You request this service the night before while you are on the ship. However, you can only check in 2 bags pp. If we have a 3:55 p.m. flight departure, would you recommend us checking our bags with valet service and taking a tour or should we head straight to the airport?
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In Miami last year I was able to actually check my luggage in with the airline at the port and recieve boarding passes. I don't know if they do that at SJU, I had heard that at some point they would. Its something to check out with the airline you are using. If not, you can take your bags with you on a post excursion that ends at the airport and then check everything in and get boarding passes.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Beginner

The Destiny does offer the "express luggage" option for its passengers when they disembark in San Juan. Unfortunately for us, I've learned that our airlines ( US Air ) does not participate. We're so disappointed as it would have made things so much easier for us when we cruise this July! Nevertheless, we're still going to have the time of our lives!
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

We did the valet service with our luggage. We flew American. Paid the $20.00 and checked our luggage and that was it. it'a a good service.
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laedw
8) I have been reading the boards and read that you can get valet service for your luggage with certain airlines after disembarking in San Juan. You request this service the night before while you are on the ship. However, you can only check in 2 bags pp. If we have a 3:55 p.m. flight departure, would you recommend us checking our bags with valet service and taking a tour or should we head straight to the airport?
I would recommend doing it. Who would want to sit for over 5 hours at an airport, even if they would let you check in that early, which I believe they do not.

Also, if you have more than 2 bags pp, you are packing too much! (We took 3 bags, and one of them was for our snorkel gear.)

Have a great cruise.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100