Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Default Currency To Use In Southern Caribbean

Hi Cruisemates,
I'm going on my first cruise this month, and am curious to know if I need to use the local currency in all of the ports I'll be going to or if U.S. Dollars will be accepted everywhere.

I'm sailing on the Carnival Destiny, and the ports I will be visiting are: St. Thomas/St. John, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua.

I have tours booked in a lot of these places, and they quoted me prices in U.S. Dollars so that's fine, but I'm wondering if souvenir shops, restaurants, bars etc. will accept U.S. Dollars and be able to provide change as well?

Also, would it be a good idea to know what the exchange rates are in each of these places?

I figured I better ask before I just show up and am totally oblivious to what I need to know/be doing. Thank you very much for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

US currency will be accepted in all of your ports, FYI - any purchases you make with US currency try to give exact change for your purchases because you will most likely get change back in the local currency when you purchase from small local vendors. Any large ticket items use your credit card
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Credit cards are the way to go. One thing-don't just rely on Amex-if you have a bank card (Visa, Master) they work better.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82